Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Tow Bar

Hi All

I have been doing some thinking on the subject of a tow bar in case of a break down.  With my R75/5 BMW tug and Globe sidecar it seems one attachment to the Beemers front axle and another to the side car bumper leading to an articulated cross bar attached to a bar leading to a trailer hitch for the pick-ups ball joint would work.  Has any of you made or heard of such a rig??

Also if anyone out there has a Globe sidecar I would appreciate hearing from you so I can determine what model I have and possibly source parts.

Thanks,

King

I think I would prefer trailering it.. In the search process of finding a small trailer for that very purpose. 

I've towed my rig with a tow strap on a few occasions.  The longest tow was about 25 miles.  The other times were much shorter distances.  Like any other towing with a strap, rope or chain, it isn't a one-person operation and is best done with a driver of the towing vehicle with some experience in towing.

Why would it be necessary to attach the tow bar to the front wheel and to the sidecar?  The sidecar will go with the bike wherever the front wheel goes.  Like Gandolf says, you'd be better off using a trailer for any distance towing.

I haven't got a good visual picture of your tow bar arrangement.  If it could pivot at the hitch ball and just in front of the cross bar (single tree?) there is the potential for the sidecar rig to try to pass the towing vehicle while braking on a downhill slope.  It couldn't pass, but it might be a little unnerving to see the rig to the left or right rear of the towing vehicle.

In a very old Ural factory film a LONG line of maybe 15 or 20 rigs are being towed a short distance out of the factory and on to a railroad flat car.  In the film each pair had a single tow arm that ran from the back of one bike to the front axle on the bike behind and so on for each added rig. When the front rig turned, the following rig(s) turned after.  I believe the key was that the front wheel was free to turn to follow the leading rig and the rigs were perfectly in line.  Any misalignment could easily destroy a set of tires if towed over a long distance,

It seemed to work fine.  Personally, I see no advantage to an attachment to the sidecar. All that given, I'd prefer a trailer.

Good luck! Please post some pictures of your final solution.

A