Clear all

Sidecar greetings from Iowa

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sidecarjenny)
Topic starter

Hi everyone,

thank you for accepting me into the forum! I just moved to Iowa from Germany and am happy to connect with fellow sidecar pilots.

My sidecar love began in China, where I was desperate for independent transportation. Through an old military-stock CJ750 rig, not only did I gain that, but also a family away from home: the local motorcycle clubs. I had never ridden a motorcycle before...on the crazy bustling roads of China, I sure learned it! 

My second loyal CJ750 is now at an Iowa motorcycle museum.

Back in Germany, I just put my beloved 1966 BMW R 60/2 with Hollandia sidecar into storage until I know where in the world I can stay long-term (I am job hunting in the U.S. now). I am currently looking for a rig with a more robust suspension against the rugged rural Iowa roads...you can imagine they are pretty rough on the CJ!

So far from here on the Iowa prairie—see you on the road?

Jenny

Posted : April 4, 2024 3:05 pm
(@miles-ladue)

Jenny a very happy WELCOME to you, and hopes that you find the best sidecar rig for your needs.

Where in Germany are you from?

I will be shipping a sidecar rig to Germany next February, and it will be stored at Stefan Knopf's place in the Heidelberg area. My wife and I plan to use that sidecar rig when we are traveling around the European continent.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : April 4, 2024 6:14 pm
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Welcome, Jennifer!

You missed the National Rally in Spirit Lake by about 10 months!  The good news is that the 2024 National Rally will be almost directly south of you in Iuka, Mississippi in June so you're a couple of months early!

As for sturdy suspension, lots of options available.  Many of the back roads I have access to here in central Nebraska have their issues in the spring due to water, snow, buses, tractors and whatnot, but most of the year I'm thankful for the very small amount of traffic carried in the rural areas.

Take a look through the Technical Discussion forum topics for inspiration and by all means ask questions of the members here.  FlyinMonkeys will never steer you wrong (though he is ESPECIALLY fond of Goldwings as sidecar tugs!).  Let us know what you might consider for a new rig and we will see what we can do.

Let the new adventure begin!

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : April 5, 2024 2:59 am
(@sidecarjenny)
Topic starter

Thanks so much for your kind responses and welcome, Thane and Flying Monkeys!

@thane-lewis If I could retrofit the CJ750 in any way, that would be wonderful...but yes, I am definitely on the lookout for a new(er) rig that I can ride more than maintain, only getting a first feel right now for what's out there in the region. Iowa is definitely Solo-Harley Country and not Sidecar Central...yet 😉 Last summer here in Iowa, I was taking the CJ for a loop "around the block", passed a sign "Historic Jefferson Highway"...and made the mistake of taking my piece of motorcycle history onto it. Oh it was so much not fun! 😀 The CJ was going *clunk, clunk, clink, rattle, doink!, clunk, clup, clup, clink, donk!*...

@miles-ladue, I'm from just south down the A5/B3 from Heidelberg, the beautiful Upper Rhine valley between the northern Black Forest foothills and the border to France. My favorite sidecar stretches are along the Rhine River wetlands, but also further up north in Germany in Schleswig-Holstein toward the Baltic Sea...there, they really have sidecar-perfect long stretches of rural roads! You have to tell me more about your Europe tour plan!

Attaching a photo of the BMW R 60/2 among poppies...with Terrence, the dead weight.

Posted : April 5, 2024 5:32 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

I agree completely about central US being HD Solo country.  I had to travel LONG distances to retrieve both of the rigs I have owned.  Once to West Virginia, then to Mena, Arkansas for the 2021 National Rally to buy the current Royal Star/Hannigan.  Keep your eyes open on here and ADVRIDER.com's hacks subforum for rigs being listed.  Several people truly enjoy posting what they find in their area.  It might also happen that a local USCA member will take a look and evaluate a rig near them if you ask.  Heck, they might just go look at if for you WITHOUT asking!

Even better, some members have been known to retrieve, store or deliver rigs for others!

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : April 5, 2024 10:21 am
(@miles-ladue)

Jennifer,  all that  Thane  said  is true,  and accurate.....just don't  buy him any Donut Holes, as he will  eat them all.

On the offers that  Thane  suggested,  if you  find a sidecar rig  you  are interested in....in the  Pacific Northwest....let me know  (we have a dozen of us up in this  region) , because I have  all the  time  in the world to  go look at it, take 100 pictures,  test drive  it, and buy it if you  decide you want it....and I can  store it for  as long as you need....inside,  dry, and plugged into a  battery  charger.  I have  my own  shop, if anything  needs to be fixed  before you  drive it  2000 miles  home to Iowa.

On another note,  there are  a LOT of sidecar  rigs available in  sunny Florida,  where we have  sidecarists  members,  and.....I  will be  delivering  one of my  sidecar rigs to Orlando,  FL next February, (for shipment to  Germany) so if you  find a good  rig down there  in advance,  I  could  possibly deliver it to you  on my way  back to  Washington  State.  We have  sidecarists in  Florida  that  can check  it out  for  you, and store it for you,  until I get  there  in February. 

Bottom line,  you  have  options,  and the  possibilities are endless. 

Posted : April 5, 2024 3:36 pm
(@qwik)

Hi Jennifer, I have my “Olga” for sale.  “She” is a 2011 PatrolT with virtually all of the bells and whistles. The engine was just rebuilt 320p kilometers ago by Ural/IMWA this past fall. I have been riding everyday all winter here in the Colorado Rockies. It’s been an absolutely solid machine. Jetted for 6500’ altitude. New tires on the front and pusher (Duro 307 knobbies) and a good one on the tub as well. Lots of extras. (Lap robe, sidecar soft door, three windshield for the bike and a good one on the tub, tonneau cover for the tub.  Brand new Duro 308 tire (not mounted), Cobb belly pan, custom two into one exhaust and lots of other goodies. Let me know if that fits your needs and we can figure out a price. I have lots of pics I can send.

Tim

Posted : April 7, 2024 5:40 pm
(@miles-ladue)

Jennifer, here is a picture of OLGA....the 2011 Ural Patrol T that is owned by Tim in the post above. It truly is a very good running rig, and if it can handle the enormous weight of a human being the size of Tim (think of a Yeti, or Bigfoot), then it can easily handle a fine fraulein from Germany.

Posted : April 7, 2024 6:52 pm
(@sidecarjenny)
Topic starter

Quote from Thane Lewis on April 5, 2024, 3:21 pm

I agree completely about central US being HD Solo country.  I had to travel LONG distances to retrieve both of the rigs I have owned.  Once to West Virginia, then to Mena, Arkansas for the 2021 National Rally to buy the current Royal Star/Hannigan.  Keep your eyes open on here and ADVRIDER.com's hacks subforum for rigs being listed.  Several people truly enjoy posting what they find in their area.  It might also happen that a local USCA member will take a look and evaluate a rig near them if you ask.  Heck, they might just go look at if for you WITHOUT asking!

Even better, some members have been known to retrieve, store or deliver rigs for others!

That is all great to hear, Thane, thank you for the pointers! I'm really glad already to have found this forum and community.

Posted : April 8, 2024 10:04 am
(@sidecarjenny)
Topic starter

Quote from FlyingMonkeys on April 5, 2024, 8:36 pm

Jennifer,  all that  Thane  said  is true,  and accurate.....just don't  buy him any Donut Holes, as he will  eat them all.

On the offers that  Thane  suggested,  if you  find a sidecar rig  you  are interested in....in the  Pacific Northwest....let me know  (we have a dozen of us up in this  region) , because I have  all the  time  in the world to  go look at it, take 100 pictures,  test drive  it, and buy it if you  decide you want it....and I can  store it for  as long as you need....inside,  dry, and plugged into a  battery  charger.  I have  my own  shop, if anything  needs to be fixed  before you  drive it  2000 miles  home to Iowa.

On another note,  there are  a LOT of sidecar  rigs available in  sunny Florida,  where we have  sidecarists  members,  and.....I  will be  delivering  one of my  sidecar rigs to Orlando,  FL next February, (for shipment to  Germany) so if you  find a good  rig down there  in advance,  I  could  possibly deliver it to you  on my way  back to  Washington  State.  We have  sidecarists in  Florida  that  can check  it out  for  you, and store it for you,  until I get  there  in February. 

Bottom line,  you  have  options,  and the  possibilities are endless. 

I appreciate that, thank you so much!! 

Posted : April 8, 2024 10:06 am
(@sidecarjenny)
Topic starter

Quote from FlyingMonkeys on April 7, 2024, 11:52 pm

Jennifer, here is a picture of OLGA....the 2011 Ural Patrol T that is owned by Tim in the post above. It truly is a very good running rig, and if it can handle the enormous weight of a human being the size of Tim (think of a Yeti, or Bigfoot), then it can easily handle a fine fraulein from Germany.

Olga's lookin' good, @miles-ladue and Tim @qwik; I'd love to learn/see more about her! 

Posted : April 8, 2024 10:09 am
(@miles-ladue)

@Jennifer  S, one of the  important things to  consider  when looking for,  or at, a used sidecar rig is....is there known  history?

Who previously  owned this  rig ?  Did they  properly  maintain it?  Was the previous  owner  knowledgeable  enough,  and mechanically  inclined enough,  to get the sidecar rig  correctly  aligned,  and maintain  that  proper  alignment  throughout  their  ownership  ?

Was the  sidecar  driven often, frequently,  and more than  just  to  the  local  Starbucks? 

Or....has the sidecar  rig been stored, not used, left to rot under the  weight of it's  own miserable  existence  ?

There are MANY people  in this  small  community  that know Tim.....and know the  intimate  history  of  OLGA.

In this  case, OLGA is a well known  entity,  a well  loved Russian  maiden, and most importantly.... OLGA has been  properly  and correctly  maintained  and driven...... daily.

Jennifer S.....meet OLGA.

OLGA.....this is Jennifer  S.

Posted : April 8, 2024 12:00 pm