Notifications
Clear all

new member in Canada

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@clive-brown)
Topic starter

Hi all, looking for some advise please...

Had a Chang Jiang for a couple years and enjoyed the sidecar thing enough I just bought a 99 GW with Hannigan Astro 2+2.  I am on Vancouver Island BC and fly back to Sault Ste Marie Ontario on Tuesday to ride it the 3800km home.

Some advise pls:

Tire pressure I should run on bike and car?

What kind of range should I expect cruising at 60mph?

Posted : June 28, 2020 7:17 pm
(@aceinsav)

Hi Clive, Welcome aboard

Congrats on your new to you Wing, have fun on the ride back and ride safe

as far as tire pressures, go with what the tires suggest. Mileage will vary but you should be able to get between 30 to 35 MPG at that speed, not sure how that translates to KM. I can get about 32 with mine but I have a shorter tire on the rear so my RPM stay a little higher

Posted : June 29, 2020 2:15 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi Olive, 

On one side of the other of your trip home, look up Gary and Barbara Storch on Nanimo Island. They're avid sidecarists.

Good luck and happy travels on your new rig!!

Posted : June 29, 2020 4:03 am
(@big-tom)

Hi Clive and welcome aboard.

I just did a Fly and Ride last week. Mine was on an '05 GW with a Daytona 2+2. 951 Miles/1530K

Bike is double dark side so my tire pressures will be different but I normally run the Max sidewall pressure on a Motorcycle tire and also the sidecar tire.

Fuel mileage was dependent on road speed. I finally gave up trying to stay with traffic and just let them pass. Making that rig maintain 75 MPH which was the speed limit was putting me into reserve at 145 Miles.  Keeping the RPM below 3K is what helped .

If you are able, take some time to sort out the settings. I was in a hurry to get on the road and paid the price of poorly adjusted Hwy pegs and lack of a back rest..

Ask if you have any other questions...    Tom

Posted : June 29, 2020 6:14 am
(@clive-brown)
Topic starter

Thanks all for the replies...  yes, I normally run the max pressure on all my two wheeled bikes as well. Will be switching to the darkside once home. Our speed limits are quite a bit lower so anticipate mostly 55-65mph cruise. Hoping to get 175miles to a tank, we will see!  

Can anybody tell me about the EZsteer?  Bike has is.  Just seems counter intuitive to me by increasing the rake it makes it steer easier?  Always thought that LESS rake make a bike quicker easier to turn?  That is opposite on a sidecar rig? 

Clive

Posted : June 29, 2020 6:24 am
(@don)

In my travels in Canada I've used 5/8 or about 0.6 to convert km to mi.  It isn't exact, but close enough for estimating distance and speed.  That would make your 3800 km ride about 2375 miles (US).  I have really enjoyed the two-lane roads in Canada.  I don't particularly like riding at night with all the warning signs about moose on the loose.  When I've had to ride at night I've tucked in behind a semi-trailer rig and let it run interference for me.

I've ridden in all except the Northwest Territory, Quebec, and Atlantic Provinces.  I still hope to check some, if not all, of those off my bucket list.

Posted : June 29, 2020 6:40 am
(@aceinsav)

I won't get into to details but easy steer doesn't change the rake but rather shortens the trail thus creating  easier turning

you may not ever know from experience but trust me when I say you will be glad it has the mod. steering. the wing is a heavy beast to turn with the car hanging out there without it.

Posted : June 29, 2020 7:00 am