USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Leading link front end for R75/5

Hi, I'm looking for a leading link front end for an R75/5. Thanks

Welcome in this forum too, Francois.

Sven

Several years ago I asked the same question and the gentleman on the other end of the phone line suggested that I install a /2 Earls fork on my R90/6.  I found a fork from one of BMW salvage places.  I had to have tabs welded on the lower fork legs for the brake calipers and if I remember correctly there was a shim needed in the fork stem.  The R90 is slightly shorter than the /2.  It worked very well.  It required some sort of steering damper to eliminate the wobble.  

Will Short

Ex-President of USCA

Thanks Sven!

Quote from Will on August 5, 2020, 2:58 pm

Several years ago I asked the same question and the gentleman on the other end of the phone line suggested that I install a /2 Earls fork on my R90/6.  I found a fork from one of BMW salvage places.  I had to have tabs welded on the lower fork legs for the brake calipers and if I remember correctly there was a shim needed in the fork stem.  The R90 is slightly shorter than the /2.  It worked very well.  It required some sort of steering damper to eliminate the wobble.  

Will Short

Ex-President of USCA

Thanks Will. 

Sadly, these are much harder to come by, since /2 now are worth their weight in gold. I'd take one if I found one in decent shape, though... But it may end up being cheaper and simpler to get a custom one built.

I am not yet 100% sure I want to bite the bullet, unless I find an opportunity that can't be passed upon. The bike is rideable and I am getting reinforced top plates made to at least take care of the mechanical strength.

At some point, OsteoArthritis will probably limit my choices. In the interim, I may just ride until I find the right match...