Topic starter

Hi, I'm looking for a leading link front end for an R75/5. Thanks

Posted : August 5, 2020 6:31 am
(@peter-pan)

Welcome in this forum too, Francois.

Sven

Posted : August 5, 2020 8:39 am
(@Anonymous)

Several years ago I asked the same question and the gentleman on the other end of the phone line suggested that I install a /2 Earls fork on my R90/6.  I found a fork from one of BMW salvage places.  I had to have tabs welded on the lower fork legs for the brake calipers and if I remember correctly there was a shim needed in the fork stem.  The R90 is slightly shorter than the /2.  It worked very well.  It required some sort of steering damper to eliminate the wobble.  

Will Short

Ex-President of USCA

Posted : August 5, 2020 9:58 am
(@francois-doremieux)
Topic starter

Thanks Sven!

Posted : August 5, 2020 11:29 am
(@francois-doremieux)
Topic starter

Quote from Will on August 5, 2020, 2:58 pm

Several years ago I asked the same question and the gentleman on the other end of the phone line suggested that I install a /2 Earls fork on my R90/6.  I found a fork from one of BMW salvage places.  I had to have tabs welded on the lower fork legs for the brake calipers and if I remember correctly there was a shim needed in the fork stem.  The R90 is slightly shorter than the /2.  It worked very well.  It required some sort of steering damper to eliminate the wobble.  

Will Short

Ex-President of USCA

Thanks Will. 

Sadly, these are much harder to come by, since /2 now are worth their weight in gold. I'd take one if I found one in decent shape, though... But it may end up being cheaper and simpler to get a custom one built.

I am not yet 100% sure I want to bite the bullet, unless I find an opportunity that can't be passed upon. The bike is rideable and I am getting reinforced top plates made to at least take care of the mechanical strength.

At some point, OsteoArthritis will probably limit my choices. In the interim, I may just ride until I find the right match...

Posted : August 5, 2020 11:33 am