Notifications
Clear all

HD TLE alignment / tire wear question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@stevegr)
Topic starter

I have mounted an 83 TLE chassis on a 1987 FLHS.  I am running 3/8 " toe in and about 1.5 degree leanout.  It seems to track well, hands off about 60-65 MPH on an average crowned road.

I am experiencing uneven rear tire wear - wearing more on the right or sidecar side.  With  the leanout, I would expect the opposite.

Any suggestions for me? 

Posted : November 1, 2020 8:55 am
(@panhead_kicker)

Have you checked the rear wheel alignment recently?

Posted : November 1, 2020 10:32 am
(@stevegr)
Topic starter

that's first on my list.  I'll verify vehicle alignment again before I do the sidecar.

Posted : November 1, 2020 12:57 pm
(@panhead_kicker)

Yup, toe-in and lean sound correct. Are your tires inflated properly to be pulling the hack ? Seems like 26 for rear... can't remember for certain.  Do you have the adjustable forkstem and damper? And yes, I notice a bit more wear on the left side of my front tire. Some would claim it's because I have too much fun with my right hand turns <grin>. I actually reduced my lean from the owners manual 2 degree to about 1 for my county road riding. Let us know what you find!

Posted : November 1, 2020 3:09 pm
(@jaydmc)

Due to the crown of the road, one side always wears down more. This includes when you do not have a sidecar. Normally only noticed when near bald

Jay G
DMC sidecars

www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Posted : November 2, 2020 5:35 am