Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

GoldWing rig wanted

Looking for a 2007 or newer GoldWing comfort rig ( Heated seat and Grips). I'm in Arizona but a Fly and Ride is not out of the question.

Tom

CCjon and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyingMonkeys
2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Tom, I have to ask...WHY....a 2007 or newer?

The 2001 - 2005 is different than the 2006 - 2010. Only differences between the 2006 - 2010 are colors, and levels of factory options.

What you are asking for in the Comfort package, the heated grips and heated seat, is the Level 2. They go all the way up to a level 5.

Having owned 10 of these, I suggest even a Level 1 is something you should consider, as it has the Premium Sound System in the Level 1, so the only thing you would need to add (and probably has already been added) is the OEM Honda Heated handgrips.  The OEM Heated Handgrips are very easy to install, all the wiring is already in place on the bike, just a plug 'n play system, and again, there is a 93.14159 % chance that a used Goldwing in the 2006 - 2010 range will already have the OEM Honda Heated Handgrips installed by a previous owner.

The OEM Heated Seat....is NOT something that 93.14159 % of Honda Goldwing owners use, and in fact many of them unplug that heated seat, as...technically...the very last place you want to ADD heat to on a cold ride is your butt. You want to add heat to thoracic area (chest/back) and hands, and feet, then legs....but NOT to the butt, as it already creates frictional heat from sitting.

So, a 2006 - 2010 Honda Goldwing, Level 1, or Level 2 (Comfort Package), or Level 3 (the Navigation package), or Level 4 (ABS), or Level 5 (AirBag) are all the exact same drivetrain, same bodywork, same wheel and tires...just different colors, and factory options depending on which level you want.

Not really a dog-gone thing wrong with a mid-year 2004 or 2005, as they are well past the frame recall issue, and with a 2004-2005 you can get an ABS bike without having to get the heated seat and Navigation package from Honda...first. And Honda was VERY good to their customers during that frame recall, in fact they took back in my 2003 Wing that had 109,000 miles on it in less than one year, and gave me a brand new 2004 bike in exchange for my 2003, as they wanted to tear my engine and gearbox all apart to see how they wore with that many miles in a short period of time. There is a 99.99% chance that ANY 2001-2004 Goldwing had the frame recall done, and the bike is as good as new.

Very minor difference between a 2004/2005...and the 2006 and later Wings. Dash was changed a tiny bit, and a 1,300 watt alternator versus the original 1,100 watt alternator.

I would say, LOOK around, see what you can find, then post what you find here, and I can tell you in a nano-second if it is worth looking at, or moving on to the next one.

And if you are looking for a completed sidecar rig, make sure you don't get too light of a sidecar. Extra width is good with a Goldwing 1800...do not be afraid to have a wider sidecar. BUT....be leery of Goldwings that have been pimped out, with 1000 bells and whistles, lights, dingle balls hanging from the windshields, etc.

Thane Lewis has reacted to this post.
Thane Lewis
Two Million Miles, and All 7 Continents

Thanks for the reply Miles. The rig I should have jumped on was the one sold by BannerGuy on this forum a few months ago. Alas the stars were not in alignment at that time.

I prefer 06 and newer for all the reasons you mentioned plus the redesign to eliminate ADG failure. The heated seat gets used by Momma when she rides on the back which is her preferred spot when the weather is agreeable. Not a fan of ABS for experience reasons.

I prolly should have kept the 05 that I had but then those pesky Stars were not in alignment.

Tom

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys
2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

That Champion Daytona 2+2 is a great sidecar. I added a brand new one to my '06 Wing, which now belongs to @DRONE.

If you ask really nice, and offer @DRONE a lot of money, he may sell you my old ... his current....'06 Wing (non-ABS) that has OEM heated grips, a Russell Day Long seat, and a 2019 Champion Daytona 2+2 sidecar that I had Champion do the full install on.

Quote from FlyingMonkeys on February 16, 2023, 3:41 pm

That Champion Daytona 2+2 is a great sidecar. I added a brand new one to my '06 Wing, which now belongs to @DRONE.

If you ask really nice, and offer @DRONE a lot of money, he may sell you my old ... his current....'06 Wing (non-ABS) that has OEM heated grips, a Russell Day Long seat, and a 2019 Champion Daytona 2+2 sidecar that I had Champion do the full install on.

hey, now!  Drone told me I was first in line if he was gonna sell!!!

FlyingMonkeys

Ned, are you saying something about pi in the probabilities you cite above?  I like pi!

FlyingMonkeys

Thane, Olde Ned knows nothing about Pi.

Now...Pie.....Ned knows a lot about Pie.

'twas I.... the Pi guy.... around these parts.  😉

CCjon and Thane Lewis have reacted to this post.
CCjonThane Lewis

True that Thane has right of first refusal should I want to sell the GW rig.  

FlyingMonkeys