Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Goldwing inspection and insurance

I'm going to look at a 1997 Goldwing with an unknown sidecar , I know to check the fork seals and bearings , anything else I should be looking at closely ? The bike has 140,000 miles. How many miles are the engines good for?  I'm in Florida and wondering what the best insurance companies might be for a sidecar, the online quotes don't seem to have the option of adding a sidecar , even in the questions on modifications.

Thanks inn advance !!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2439149309736663/

Mike

that is a fine looking set up, it looks to be a champion car. 140 is not bad you can easily get 2 to 300K and more on the wings engines

the description gives me a little pause, a lot of info but nothing really about the bike. ask why their selling it. ask if they know when the timing belts were last replaced. 140 is nothing for miles on a well a maintained wing. the price is lower than I would have expected for a rig that nice but it doesn't  have the modified easy steer or power tilt on the car, although I could be wrong about the power tilt. it would be a good idea to check the oil and water, you just want to make sure the oil is oil and the water is coolant. the radiator cap is under the right cover under the handle bars between the center cover and fairing. if they have owned the bike they will know where it is. make sure there is no hesitation in the throttle and that it idles smooth. if you get to test ride it you want to gently accel and let off kind of sharp and listen for a clanking or banging sound that could indicate drive line or u-joint bad. when you go to look at it if you have any questions feel free to text me first as I don't answer # I don't know and I will be happy to try to help you. you can find my # under sidecar map resources, I am the Ga rep

Good Luck 

Mike Donohue has reacted to this post.
Mike Donohue
USCA # 8913

The sidecar looks more like a California Friendship II with a different tail lite. As far as insurance that you have to check. What I pay for insurance no one would believe so I can put that out. I being dealing with the same insurance company for years. As far as the bike I not a Honda man but there are a good bike. Just check for leaks and charging system as it it a pain to change in need be.

Mike Donohue

One more thing that's an early Friendship II. I was told by them years ago the first 6 were made without a trunk so I have to say that that sidecar is from the early nineties. It should have a disk brake on it.    

Mike Donohue

My insurance company, which I've been with for more than 50 years, considers a sidecar an accessory to the bike.  Never having been in a wreck with it I'm not sure how that would pan out.  They may only want to pay for the bike and not the sidecar even though the sidecar is about 40% of the value of the rig.  I hope I never have the occasion to find out how they handle a wrecked rig.

Another check point on the Goldwing would be to check the drive shaft universal joint and the rear wheel hub for wear.  I've taken out two drive shafts on my Valkyrie over a span of  the 100,000 miles I put on and another 50,000 miles before I bought it, though that may be attributable to towing a trailer with the rig and that the U-joint can't be lubed.

Mike Donohue

Well, I did end up buying it , just couldn't bring it home ! The rear caliper is sticking , and by doing that , it locks the front & rear brakes !  So the guy will take it to the dealer and get it fixed . Thanks for all the suggestions !

Congrats on your new to you rig and welcome aboard. is this is your first sidecar rig? tell us a little about yourself and riding history

Mike Donohue
USCA # 8913

Sidecar is an accessory and you and Insurance agree on a value. That is the only way I have ever seen it done. Enjoy

Thane Lewis and Mike Donohue have reacted to this post.
Thane LewisMike Donohue
Quote from AJ1200 on April 23, 2020, 5:42 am

Congrats on your new to you rig and welcome aboard. is this is your first sidecar rig? tell us a little about yourself and riding history

This is our second one , previous was a Ultra Classic we picked up in San Diego and brought back to the Tampa FL area , made for our son's first motorcycle trip at 18 months old! I've been riding bikes of all sorts since my teen's including some racing . Here's a Facebook album of our trip with the first sidecar rig , we kept that one about 3 years. https://www.facebook.com/Rydermike/media_set?set=a.1376983738779&type=3

As far as Insurance you can get it appraise as a complete unit and there companys that will cover it. A couple years ago I got a quote on one of my rigs it appraise for $40000. and it was $350 for full coverage. You just have to have all your paper work in order. The other thing is just as long as you have it appraise and some one else hits it that have to go by the appraise value. I had customer go though that last year and it was a little fight but needed no attorneys and they made good.  

Mike Donohue

So did you get the bike yet. if so how do you like it.

USCA # 8913
Quote from AJ1500 on May 1, 2020, 8:12 am

So did you get the bike yet. if so how do you like it.

I'll get it next weekend , it needs the rear caliper rebuilt and the parts won't come in at the dealer until next Thursday. Upsides are 1) it didn't have the rear brake lockup on my way home ! 2) The guy took it to a Honda dealer so it should be done right with no shortcuts . 3) Being the rear will be done and that's the more PITA one to access is a great thing they are doing it and not me! And they should have had a great inspection , in case anything else I couldn't check with the side bags in place. Driving me crazy waiting ! Really want to see the difference of it in compared to the Harley rig we used to have , not to mention I need the mental health benefit riding gives , after almost 11 months of chemo ! Not to mention to see what the doctors reaction is of me riding again, he's a good sport , it's the nurse practitioner that gets concerned on some pf my exploits including racing both ovals and endurance road racing 😀