Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Bringing her home

I had recently posted in the classifieds that I was looking for a new Harley or Indian rig. That is where I met Tom, he is a long time rider and known for being in the movie Sit, Stay, Ride. For those of you who have not seen it is really good. Tom was contemplating on possibly selling his Harley FHTCUI with Liberty sidecar. We talked for several days about it and then made a date for me to go check out the bike. I arrived around 1000 one Saturday morning I took a closer look at the bike the rig and the motorcycle trailer that would go with it. I sat with Tom That day for over 2 hours just chatting. Tom had so many interesting stories. Before I left I told Tom that if he was going to let the Bike go that I would be interested in buying it. He told me that after talking to me he felt that the bike was going to a new good owner. and that he would sell it to me. I told him I would get with the bank and get the money together and be in touch later that week. As I was working with the bank that week Tom had emailed me multiple times telling me more about his adventures and friends he has met along the way or sending me articles on the bike. I finally finished with the bank and told Tom I had his money and I would bring it to him to get the bike. Unfortunately it had snowed again that week and we were not able to go get it because of bad roads, and weather was in the negatives. So I looked at the long term forecast about a week and a half out and told him it looked clear for that Saturday. We decided to wait until then for me to bring it home. I woke up that Saturday morning to find a fresh blanket of snow on the ground. I decided I was going to still go out there and at least pay him so you doesn't change his mind. I brought all my riding gear with me just in case the roads were clear. About half way to his house we hit fog so thick you could have cut it with a knife. Once I reached his home we did all the paperwork to get it transferred over to me. Once again we sat around and talked about stories while gathering up all the maintenance paperwork. I truly enjoyed our visits and the stories. It would be another 2 weeks until the weather was clear enough to ride it home, 39 F cloudy sky's and wet roads, nothing was going to keep me from bringing the bike home today. Once I got there we chit chatted a little bit and I changed the plates on both the bike and trailer and left the original plates for Tom. We got the trailer and bike hooked up and Tom was gracious enough to put on his jacket and vest to take one last picture with me and the bike. We shook hands and he handed me the keys and with that I started the bike and we were off taking her to her new home. On the ride home all I was to think about was all the adventures Tom had been on and thinking of all the adventures that I was looking forward to taking. The could and wet weather did not cross my mind once just the joy of the 45 minute ride home.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
SwampFox, MJ and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxMJpanhead_kickerAceinSavsmitty901Thane LewisFlyingMonkeys
Dennis P. Spokane WA USAF Retired 1996 Harley FLHTCUI with Liberty Sidecar

congrats on the new to you rig. I look forward to hearing about some of your adventures to come. 

Dennis Peabody and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
Dennis PeabodyFlyingMonkeys
USCA # 8913

I don't see where you are located at but congratulations on the new rig and I hope you can make it to the National Rally in Iowa in June.

Dana

Enjoy the ride. be cool and take time to get use to it.

Cool that you had the opportunity to hear some of Tom's stories.  That man has more stories than anyone I've ever met!  And boy is he good at telling them.  Never a dull moment when you're hanging around with Reardon Tom.  Congrats on the new ride!

Reardan Tom, Dennis Peabody and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
Reardan TomDennis PeabodyFlyingMonkeys

It's been a real pleasure getting to know you and Sylvia, Dennis. And there is no doubt in my mind that you are the right person and now is the right time to pass the torch. The "torch" being the best bike I have ever owned. Odd, though, that I finally got it built to everything I ever dreamed it could be then part company with it. Enjoy the ride and all the adventures that lay ahead. I'm looking forward to hearing your own collection of stories based on those adventrues. Wishing you both the best into this upcoming riding season and more!!

MJ, DRONE and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
MJDRONEMGV8AceinSavDennis Peabody
- "retired" WA state rep. Many years and many posts more than what show up here now.