Notifications
Clear all

New velorex on a 2003 Sportster.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sfchock)
Topic starter

Good day you all. I know that the Velorex is a light weight. I had one attached to my GL1000. It worked but I was aware of its lightness and drove it accordingly. Any way, one of our local shops just received a velorex car that a customer wants to attach to a 2003 Sportster 1200. I haven't seen the sportster yet to see how it would attach. I have helped put a Motorvation Spyder to a Road King but we had a sub-frame to attach that one. Suggestions on the install are welcome.
Thanks Dave

Posted : May 6, 2014 10:06 am
(@Hack__n)

Drop me an eMail- nwsidecar@aol.com and I'll send you some pix of Sporty/Velorex combos.

Lonnie

Posted : May 6, 2014 2:53 pm
(@jaydmc)

We make bike specific mounts for this combination. For the 2003 it is the last year for the non rubber mounted engine. We make a sub frame that attaches to the bike at 7 points and gives you the upper front and both lower mounts. The upper rear is a frame clamp similar to the Velorex clamp. By doing it this way we move the upper front mount up higher on the frame then you could do with a clamp. The lower mounts are also further apart then the main frame of the bike would allow and they are the same distance off of the ground making it much easier to align the sidecar. We also offer a steering damper as well as triple tree's for this bike.
Of course we also offer the same for 2004 and newer however the mounts are completely different. Here is a link about putting a Velorex on a 2004 and up, how some one did it, what they did wrong and how we fixed it http://www.dmcsidecars.com/the-result-of-improper-sidecar-mounting-and-the-proper-fix/
The Velorex is pretty light for this bike but they seem to work out ok with some ballast.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com

Posted : May 7, 2014 5:54 am
(@sfchock)
Topic starter

Thank you Jay. I will pass this on. I believe in make it stout.

Posted : May 7, 2014 10:19 am