Notifications
Clear all

Hannigan Sidecar on a 2020 Harley Road Glide

26 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@smitty901)

Quote from shreksbrother on August 7, 2021, 1:43 pm

Making some progress… took the body off the frame and painted it. Still another 4+ weeks for the mounting brackets. 

wish I could get lucky and score some used. 

Looks great. The wait will be worth it.  Take your time when mounting it. Do thing as they should be done. Ignore any ideas of doing it another way. You will likely need a few minor adjustments after  it is done.

Do not use bards to align the TOE. Good luck

Posted : August 7, 2021 10:03 am
(@adam-andrews)
Topic starter

Quote from smitty901 on August 7, 2021, 3:03 pm
Quote from shreksbrother on August 7, 2021, 1:43 pm

Making some progress… took the body off the frame and painted it. Still another 4+ weeks for the mounting brackets. 

wish I could get lucky and score some used. 

Looks great. The wait will be worth it.  Take your time when mounting it. Do thing as they should be done. Ignore any ideas of doing it another way. You will likely need a few minor adjustments after  it is done.

Do not use bards to align the TOE. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve started reading on mating the bike and sidecar… I want it to be perfect for safety and reliability, so it’ll be measured often for sure. 

Posted : August 7, 2021 10:43 am
(@smitty901)

Just finished a change I had planned on mine  Car tire on the Bike rear..

https://sidecar.com/forum/topic/180-55b18-to-a-car-tire/#postid-83015

Posted : August 7, 2021 1:01 pm
(@adam-andrews)
Topic starter

Quote from smitty901 on August 7, 2021, 6:01 pm

Cool project. I ran a dark side tire on my last bike (Victory Vision without sidecar) and it was great to ride. May look into doing this, although I wish I didn’t need a new rear wheel to do so. 

Posted : August 7, 2021 2:54 pm
(@smitty901)

Quote from shreksbrother on August 7, 2021, 7:54 pm
Quote from smitty901 on August 7, 2021, 6:01 pm

Cool project. I ran a dark side tire on my last bike (Victory Vision without sidecar) and it was great to ride. May look into doing this, although I wish I didn’t need a new rear wheel to do so. 

With the 18 inch wheel there is no other way. I look at it like this should I wish to take the sidecar off for a bit .  20 minutes it is off and I have a wheel and tire ready to roll.

The 2020 RGL  is fine with the sidecar with stock tire and wheel. Just car tire is better.

next project is to install Stealth fairing support to get rid of the Supports from engine guards to fairing..

Posted : August 7, 2021 10:55 pm
(@adam-andrews)
Topic starter

Well the sidecar is finally mounted to the bike! I've put about 100 miles on it and completely wore the brand new tire down to the steel belts... obviously there is something off. 

I concentrated on the toe in and lean out, but the part that I missed is the sidecar being level - it is not. And for the life of me I can't understand how to level it. The brackets from Hannigan seem pretty straightforward, but there's no adjustment at all on the front lower mount. The sidecar seems to tilt down toward the middle, so it's almost like the wheel side needs to come down... how is that even possible? 

Any experts have any suggestions? It feels surprisingly great going down the road, but obviously this isn't sustainable. 

Thanks for any help! 

Adam. 

Posted : October 13, 2021 4:17 pm
(@aceinsav)
wpf_Moderator

Adam

I'm sure someone with far more knowledge than me will be along to help with your situation

the only thing I can think of is that you have to adjust the car being level with the mounting arms, where they adjust for distance and toe in, there should be a way to also raise that side of the car. 

the rig looks great, I hope you get it sorted out easily 

Posted : October 13, 2021 11:57 pm
(@adam-andrews)
Topic starter

Well I finally got the mounts sorted out (I think, haha). Went for a ride Saturday and the rear lower mount broke at the weld. I took it to a welder who told me that it was improperly welded. I contacted Cory at Hannigan and I'm waiting for his response... I'm very thankful no one was hurt and I'm disappointed that I waited 3 months for poorly welded mounts, so I hope they make it right. 

Posted : October 21, 2021 6:14 am
(@aceinsav)
wpf_Moderator

glad to hear your on the right path to getting it sorted out, also glad to hear the break didn't cause a crash. hopefully Hannigan will make it right. I would think if it was a failure they would take care of it.

Posted : October 21, 2021 8:57 am
(@smitty901)

I hope you get it all worked out. Purchasing a Used sidecar mounting it on a much new ride. Add to that doing it yourself is a Big project.

There will be bumps in the road. Seems you are doing ok with it. 

Get the toe right and work on lean angle. Watch tire wear and make minor adjustments.  Often changing on adjustment will effect another.

With the ECC make sure it is down when adjusting.

Should you get real serious about the sidecar I can show you how to get a car tire to work on the 2020 RGL with out causing any issues with the RDRS or changes to bike height. Car tire on the rear of the bike with sidecar is the way to go. I would not recommend it for a two wheel bike. But many do it.

Posted : October 23, 2021 1:58 am
(@adam-andrews)
Topic starter

Quote from smitty901 on October 23, 2021, 6:58 am

I hope you get it all worked out. Purchasing a Used sidecar mounting it on a much new ride. Add to that doing it yourself is a Big project.

There will be bumps in the road. Seems you are doing ok with it. 

Get the toe right and work on lean angle. Watch tire wear and make minor adjustments.  Often changing on adjustment will effect another.

With the ECC make sure it is down when adjusting.

Should you get real serious about the sidecar I can show you how to get a car tire to work on the 2020 RGL with out causing any issues with the RDRS or changes to bike height. Car tire on the rear of the bike with sidecar is the way to go. I would not recommend it for a two wheel bike. But many do it.

This was not a used kit. In fact I went to Hannigan myself to pick it up after 3 months of waiting. They just did not weld the brackets properly. 

I'm definitely interested in doing the car tire conversion. I believe I remember that you used a 16" wheel... any late model 16" Harley wheel will work? Can I reuse my TPMS sensor? Anything else needed?

Best, Adam. 

Posted : October 23, 2021 3:52 am
Page 2 / 2