BMW R100 Rear Car W...

Notifications
Clear all

BMW R100 Rear Car Wheel

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Invitation for ideas or links tfor adapting a car rim and tire to an airhead rear drum.
My hack is a URAL/BMW R100S with Neff sub frame and Progressive springs and shocks.
I just want it to hold better on hard turns and have that rear tire last over 10,000 miles,is that too much to ask?
In my case replacing the rear disk brake system of my 1979 R100S with a drum I got from an R90S ,and maching a car wheel to it.
OOOh well,...I suppose if I had the extra cash I'd get one from Neff,but it's not flowing these days.
George.

Posted : September 3, 2010 5:27 pm
(@jrapose)

I saw a really neat car tire conversion on a R1150GS on the Adventure rider website...under hacks...

I have one on my R1100 but would not work on an airhead...

Joel

Posted : October 30, 2010 1:00 pm
(@boxermike)

With the fairly narrow swingarm and fender width on the R100/airheads, I think that this would be tough to accomplish without a completely different swingarm fabricated as part of the conversion, which may also require a custom rear subframe and fender. The oilheads are easier, I think, because they are single sided swingarms and are already offset for wider wheels and tires (and the seat support/subframe part doesn't attach to the swingarm on both sides. This doesn't mean that such a thing cannot be done - but I am sure it is more involved and costly.
I'd recommend asking the airhead guru and sidecar enthusiast "snowbum" a.k.a Robert Fleischer as he has customized some R100 rigs and worked with sidecar vendors on customizing rigs - he may at least provide some tips or people to talk to.. Googling him should bring you to his website..

Posted : October 30, 2010 7:50 pm
(@Anonymous)

Thanks boxermike,I've seen the snowbum website and I will email Robert for input,I will post the progress in this thread.
I do have a rear swing arm from an 81 R100 that I bought for this purpose,with rear drum from an R90S I have and good rear drive I hope to set up the assembly without loosing riding time with my hack.
By the way I happen to be in Greece right now south of Athens close to Sounion(most southern tip of the mainland) and the day is just perfect,sunny,light breeze, and about 55 degrees F..too bad I did'nt shove my hack in a suitcase,..hey, a tranformer hack for overseas traveling,that would be something!
Till next time------
George.

Posted : October 31, 2010 12:24 am
(@jrapose)

that sounds kinda neat...I had not thought much about a swing arm switch.....good ideas

Joel

Posted : November 8, 2010 11:42 am
(@jrapose)

I had thought about having a new 15" rim laced up by Buchannins, but I think there would be a clearance problem with the wheel..... sure would make changing the tire much easier....

Posted : November 8, 2010 11:45 am
(@jrapose)

I was just looking at EBAY....and it looks like it might work...... I also was looking at K75 single sided swing arms.... by adapting one of those, you would be able to have the rear disk and a bolt on wheel ....kinda a bonnis having the rear disk...might make it easier..... plus the K stuff was cheaper than the R bike stuff.... would be fun to experiment with...

Joel

Posted : November 8, 2010 12:04 pm
(@Anonymous)

A simple question: Why not just mount up one of the Metzler "Block K" sidecar tires built for that purpose? I think Avon makes one as well in the 4.00X18 size. I don't know what the wear rate is, but the reviews I read say the hold well. They are about $92 at http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/6146/ITEM/Metzeler-Block-K-Sidecar-Tire.aspx

Posted : November 8, 2010 4:37 pm
 VLAD
(@vlad)

coyotex - 11/8/2010 9:37 PM

A simple question: Why not just mount up one of the Metzler "Block K" sidecar tires built for that purpose? I think Avon makes one as well in the 4.00X18 size. I don't know what the wear rate is, but the reviews I read say the hold well. They are about $92 at http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/6146/ITEM/Metzeler-Block-K-Sidecar-Tire.aspx

Avon tire is 19"

Posted : November 9, 2010 4:44 am
(@Anonymous)

I allready have that,I want a full size wide car rim and tire.
SIDGEORGE

Posted : November 9, 2010 5:31 am
(@jrapose)

I just looked at that website...That's an excellent deal on those tires...$92 and that includes free shipping...I bought 2

Joel

Posted : November 10, 2010 9:17 am