Clear all

Baja Mexico mini-rally 2023

49 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Here is some lodging information. Casa Bandera is a small apartment building with three two bedroom, two bath units,(called Casa Roja, Casa Verde and Casa Blanca)  for roughly $100 per night per bedroom. Each unit has two kingsize beds, all linens, towels, etc., full kitchen, living room, balconies overlooking the bay, wifi and large TV.  Clean, new and modern. See photos in the link below.

Two of the three units are already taken for that February weekend. Casa Roja is still available on AirBnB.  Casa Verde and Casa Blanca are booked. I have Casa Blanca: NOTE the second bedroom is available for anyone who wants to share quarters from the 15th to the 19.  First to call dibs get it.

Go here to see photos.

https://www.rentmulege.com/

Posted : December 3, 2022 4:15 pm
(@peter-pan)

Hello Jan, 

Yesterday I just came back from Tijuana....if there wouldn't be all those borders in between I am heavily tempted to use the Ural for to return to the job in January. Climate was excellent in daytime (only too cold for my back at night), people were friendly, food decent, and the colleagues helpful... 

So there is this strong itching in the fingers... 

Posted : December 10, 2022 7:53 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Getting the holidays behind us, now starting to think more about escaping the freezing ice and cold?  

The informal sidecar get-together in Baja California is on. Nothing formal, no fees, no name tags, no rally shirts, only soft warm breezes, clear salt water, warm sand, seafood tacos and cold drinks. Princess Jamaica has graciously offered to be the local contact point, maybe guide a ride or two, recommend lodging and places to eat.  Says he has a couple kayaks people can borrow too. 

Roads too dangerous or temps too close to zero to sidecar from your home? There are places in Southern California where you can safely leave a truck and trailer while exploring Mexico. I paid $100 to store my truck and trailer for a month in a gated/fenced RV compound near Brawley, CA. last year. The road conditions will determine if I ride or trailer in 2023.  Safety first.

They call it whale watching, I call it petting the whale as you can actually reach out and touch the juvenile whales that approach your boat. That will happen if enough people want to do it. There are only a couple of whale nursery bays in Baja where this is offered. It is a very cool experience, highly recommended. 

So a few sidecarists will be there on the beach in Bahia Concepción, south of Mulegé on the Sea of Cortez, February 16-18th. Pretty laid back, easy going event(?)... ride, chill, relax and soak up some sun.

Depending on how many show up, we'll plan some meals and campfires. 

So who's thinking about going?

Posted : December 28, 2022 11:21 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Leaving Monday to trailer the rig to California where I'll place truck and trailer in an RV lot for a month. Then riding the Goldwing rig down Baja to Cabo; returning north to Bahia Concepcion, arriving in Bahia Feb 15, staying until the 19th. before continuing north.

Have an extra bedrom available in an apartment with rooftop patio overlooking the bay, if anyone is interested in sharing costs.

If you plan on beach camping, when you get down there and see a red Goldwing /Hannigan rig. Wave me down and we'll get together.

CCjon

Posted : January 27, 2023 10:03 am
(@peter-pan)

The colleagues in Tijuana are way behind schedule. No change for me to make a short visit at your retreat, as I see them delay and delay week after week, before I will have to go there again. I wish you a happy time on the beach.

Sven

Posted : January 30, 2023 4:57 am
(@miles-ladue)

Plans all in place, and reservations all made, for the 4,000 miles round trip to this Baja sidecar gathering.

Going to be COLD the morning I leave from Western Washington, but that is why Gordon Gerbing invented electric heated clothing for motorcycle riding.

And with a bike that has an alternator output of 1,560 watts...supplying power to my electrical heated clothing is no problemo'.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : January 30, 2023 7:18 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Sven, sorry you cannot make it. We will toast to your health with a Cuba Libre.

Posted : January 30, 2023 12:51 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

While trailering the Gold Wing rig west to meet up with a motorcycle group going to Mexico, got ahead of the ice storm in Texas, but not by much.

","style":""}">

Nearing the Texas - New Mexico border, decided to swing by the White Sands National Park near Alamogordo, New Mexico for a photo op. 

Can you see the solitary figure standing on the dune?  

Arrived two days later in Seal Beach, California, the rendezvous point. 
Took a night walk to the end of the pier, turning around, this is what one sees...

...with sounds of the Pacific crashing on the beach below.

Sunday we head south for Baja and Cabo San Lucas.

Posted : February 3, 2023 11:02 am
(@miles-ladue)

Jan, two things:

Are there any other sidecar rigs in that group you are meeting up with, to cross into Mexico....or are you the lone sidecar rig in that group?

And, take a measurement for me, of your trailer, between the fenders...the distance in between the two fenders, so I can see IF it is wide enough my my phat rig to be on that trailer, as I am still looking for one to buy.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : February 3, 2023 7:14 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

FlyingMonkeys, the riding group will meet for the first time this afternoon, we'll see if any other sidecarist is ready to keep up with the two wheel crowd.

Sorry cannot give you the exact width as it sits 200 miles away from where I am today. The aluminum Bear Track trailer is the widest one I could find, plus their fenders unbolt if another inch or two is needed to clear cylinder heads or engine guards. The Alum trailers are slightly less wide, have a good reputation, and their fenders are welded on.  Anything wider than those two brands and you will need to look at snowmobile trailers.  

https://beartracktrailers.com/

Posted : February 4, 2023 8:26 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Last free night in Seal Beach, walked to the beach to capture a few sunset photos.

Posted : February 4, 2023 8:30 am
(@swampfox)

Quote from CCjon on February 4, 2023, 1:30 pm

Last free night in Seal Beach, walked to the beach to capture a few sunset photos.

Great photography CCjon.  Please keep 'em coming so us home-bound folks can travel along with you.

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : February 4, 2023 12:47 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Tomorrow the group of nine two wheelers and one sidecar rig ride from Seal Beach to Julian, CA, not taking the direct route but a winding twisting two lane road so everyone gets familiar with their rental BMW's.

Posted : February 4, 2023 3:04 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Today the ride south begins: woke to rainy overcast, streets wet, but riders are ready, let's go...

Riders gathered at MotoQuest to pack their bike, receive final riding instructions before heading out.
MotoQuest.jpeg

Soliitary Honda GoldWing sidecar rig being outnumbered by BMW GS's and F's. The rig attracts more attention everywhere than all the Beemers put together, but we sidecarists are familiar with the SDF (Sidecar Delay Factor).

Cooks Corner.jpeg

Utilizing the HOV lanes, we are quickly out of the urban areas and into the well known rider's dream land of Southern Califonia foothills. First restroom break happens at Cook's Corner, a very well know bikers gathering spot.

Wonder why Cook's is famous? Here's the sign....

Cooks Sign.jpeg

Cook's was followed by miles and miles of twisting foothills, Sunday traffic but not too bad. Next stop for a late lunch was Josie's Hideout... another infamous motorcycle gathering spot.
Josie's Hideout.jpeg

Bikes line both sides of the country road out front...

Bikes Parked.jpeg

And what is a biker saloon without live entertainment????

Live music.jpeg

Another hour or so riding the twisting roads before we reached out destination hotel for the night in Julian, CA.

Here we rest to prepare for the Mexican border crossing in the morning.

Posted : February 5, 2023 3:07 pm
(@peter-pan)

sitting in the office and getting jealous.... these fingers are itching....

Posted : February 6, 2023 5:14 am
Page 2 / 4