New Member who buil...

Notifications
Clear all

New Member who built 450 sidecars back in the day

186 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@warrenF)

Are you serious about sidecars being dead! I'm very new to this sidecar game and enjoy a good challenge. My wife got a ride in a sidecar and whoops we have to have one. I not knowing much about them went for looks and got a used csc friendship II. Came with Harley mounts. No way, Had to fab my own and get new ones for sidecar. Worked great thanks to DMC. After my wife read many forums the new game is how fit it with a brake. So for and my now it is just me my 100 pound bag of sand. Any input would be great thanks.

Posted : March 21, 2013 7:48 pm
(@Anonymous)

Warren, it would be best to start your own thread in the Technical section where I'm sure you can get some answers to your questions. This thread is about Johnny Sweet and his long and distinguished career building sidecars over many years.

Thanks again, Johnny, for another great installment! Yeah, you got me to tears again, as usual.

Posted : March 21, 2013 10:39 pm
(@Wolfhound)

The Johnny Sweets in this world are few and far between. This is a man who has built his life on the old values that the present world seems to know little of.
As XLerate says Johnny can bring tears to your eyes as he lets us travel with him thru his life and times. Mr. Sweet, keep on writing as this is your book that
is unfolding. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Posted : March 22, 2013 2:01 am
(@Johnny-Sweet)
Topic starter

warrenF - 3/22/2013 12:48 AM

Are you serious about sidecars being dead!.

Hi Warren,
First off welcome to the "Motorcycle Sidecar" world it's a great place and a great sport/hobby/recreation and if you get a full dose of sidecar venom you will be hooked for life.

When I wrote that sidecar were dead it was some time ago and the trend at the time was towards motorcycle trikes. Even the largest manufacturers with a world following and brand name stopped building sidecars after building them for over one hundred years, and that would be Harley Davidson. There will be plenty of sidecars around for the next many years with the inventory of units out on the road and tucked away in peoples garages and sheds. There are still manufacturers in the US and around the world doing a wonderful job brings quality sidecars to the market place but is it as it once was? As I've written more than once back in the day in New England as an example you couldn't go out on almost any main road without seeing a motorcycle with a sidecar but not today. I will submit that possible my little company made that happen in a small section of the world. So would I like to see a sidecar on every street corner in every town? Sure but that's never going to happen plus if we did live in a "Bazaaro world" the powers that be would tax or regulate sidecars to death. It's just the way of the world. I think we are better off being just a one percent because in today's world they will come after us with regulations if we get to big or become a daily vision for all to see. The worst thing that could happen to sidecars is 60 minutes doing a story on them; it could only go downhill from there. As for motorcycle trikes; up till a few years ago they were ruling the road leaving sidecar sales in the dust. With the economy and the political climate that the uninformed and progressives have thrown upon us even the largest manufacturer in the trike industry was forced to close it's doors and at the same time Harley Davidson went from manufacturing sidecars to trikes. So how does one sum all this up; I say drive your sidecar rig and have the time of your life because you only go this way one time. As I've written in the past today good times will be tomorrows good old days.
Johnny Sweet

Posted : March 22, 2013 5:49 am
(@Anonymous)

did you folks ever race up in Claremont,NH ? LATE 60'S or over toward Milford ?

Posted : March 22, 2013 6:14 am
(@MIKEKGP)

Hey Johnny,

I think a sidecar rig is more stable on the road than a trike, and you can ride with two or three passengers as opposed to just one on the trike. On my Goldwing/Champion rig I would have two kids in the car and my lady friend on the back of the bike! Talk about good times!!!!

Mike

Posted : March 22, 2013 6:17 am
(@Johnny-Sweet)
Topic starter

MIKEKGP - 3/22/2013 11:17 AM

Hey Johnny,

I think a sidecar rig is more stable on the road than a trike, and you can ride with two or three passengers as opposed to just one on the trike. On my Goldwing/Champion rig I would have two kids in the car and my lady friend on the back of the bike! Talk about good times!!!!

Mike

Hi Mike,
I wish that I could say that a sidecar was more stable than a trike and remember I'm a sidecar lover. But I have first hand experiences starting with sidecars building,driving and setting up hundreds of them. I also was involved in the development and design of the Victory Crossbow Trike for the former Lehman Trikes out of Spearfish South Dakota. As far as handling the newer trikes are extremely stable with Lehman's solid rear axle set up. Other than handling it's all downhill when it comes to trikes verses sidecars. Sidecars come out on top when it comes to everything but handling. I have an upcoming installment on my experience in 2008 working in the inner sanctum of Lehman Trikes with the design team working on different trikes as I designed the Victory Crossbow. Some may find my experience interesting. I will say this about trikes and keep in mind "I do not like them" are a lot more than some people think and up till just a few years ago had left sidecars behind by a mile. If that wasn't the case why would one of the well known sidecar company's spend the time developing and manufacturing trikes; just saying.
Johnny

Posted : March 22, 2013 6:39 am
(@Johnny-Sweet)
Topic starter

sturgis1982 - 3/22/2013 11:14 AM

did you folks ever race up in Claremont,NH ? LATE 60'S or over toward Milford ?

The Essem hot dog sign was on the inner wall of a very small walk in hot dog shop on the corner of Broadway and Water Street in Lawrence Massachusetts called Lawton Hot Dogs. It was around back in the 1930 when my Dad and uncles were young. I was told that it closed a few years ago and when people found out about it's closing many made the pilgrimage to Lawton's by the sea as some had called it for one last Essem Hot Dog. The Hot Dog shop was at the edge of the canal that provided water to power the mills along the Merrimack River in Lawrence.

Ollie would race at Monadnock Speedway in Winchester New Hampshire on Friday nights and then at Star Speedway in Eping on Saturday nights. He would then finish out the weekend at Hudson Speedway in Hudson New Hampshire on Sunday nights sometimes winning three different divisions at each track on three different nights for a total of nine feature races in a weekend. When other tracks would have their big race of the year he would travel be it the Waterford Speedbowl or at Thompson Connecticut. Speaking of the Waterford Speedbowl back in 1974 at what was called the Hot Wheels 100 All-Star race on the way into the pits someone yelled something out. Ollie was in a rage but he never showed it. He was fuming inside and when the race started he made his way to the front but instead of making it a race as he always did and beating the competition by just a few feet he went on and lapped the entire field not once but twice something people in the racing fraternity still talk about today.
An example of Ollie winning three races in one night. This picture would have been taken in the 1970's.

Ollie threading the needle on the inside headed towards victory.

If you follow the link and it works you can read more about Ollie's exploits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ollie_Silva

Johnny

Posted : March 22, 2013 7:22 am
 46u
(@46u)

Johnny Sweet - 3/22/2013 11:49 AM

warrenF - 3/22/2013 12:48 AM

Are you serious about sidecars being dead!.

Hi Warren,
First off welcome to the "Motorcycle Sidecar" world it's a great place and a great sport/hobby/recreation and if you get a full dose of sidecar venom you will be hooked for life.

My rig is much more then that it is all so my transportation.

Posted : March 22, 2013 1:39 pm
(@Johnny-Sweet)
Topic starter

Hi Warren,

Hi Jeff,
In today's world you are a true one per-center or even less than a one per-center. Think about it you may be the only one in your entire state or the South East that relies on your sidecar rig for transportation and to get around. I can appreciate it more than most. Back in the 1920's and 30's my family only had sidecar rigs to get around with and although I wasn't around back then I was told the stories and the way life was back at that time in history. Jeff you may not realize it but your carrying on a tradition that only the truley real motorcycle enthusiast would understand; I take my hat off to you.
Happy riding,
Johnny Sweet

Posted : March 22, 2013 2:06 pm
(@Johnny-Sweet)
Topic starter

Sidecars and the Little League
Building sidecars allowed my band of friends and me the opportunity to get involved in many different things. Every year the Little League kids came around and we sponsored a team. It was funny in that we never won a championship and it was never important; in fact I think we were always at the bottom in the standings, but the kids were having fun and after all that’s what it was all about. One of the other sponsors; the owner of the local McDonald’s stopped sponsoring the kids because the team he sponsored didn’t win the championship. So I guess you could say different people, doing different things, for different reasons. One year my neighbor came calling asking if I would sponsor an adult soft ball team. I decided I would make a change and went in that direction for that year. I had been with the Little League kids for quite a few years and didn’t want to hurt any feelings so I changed the name that I used from “Sweet Motorcycle Sidecars” to Johnny Sweet’s American Hydroplane co. About three quarters into the season I was out one night driving my sidecar rig threw town and decided to stop for a slice of pizza at one of the local pizza joints. As I walked in I noticed all the Johnny Sweet’s American Hydroplane co. T shirts from the ball team. I went over and introduced myself and called the girl over and ordered pizzas and a few pitchers of beer for the guys. I then explained that I had been following the team and it was great that they were doing so well and having a good time. Then one of the guys asked “who the hell did you say you were”. One of the other guys said “he said his name was something Sweet”. I came back with “not something Sweet but Johnny Sweet and I saw you guy’s and thought I would come over and say hello and by the team some pizza and drinks”. I started to get some crap like “so what do you have to do with American Hydroplane”. I explained that it was my company and I was the one that sponsored you guys and I just wanted to introduce myself to you. I got back;” you mean you work for the company”. I said “no it’s my company” and I get back “if he wants to claim it’s his company let him, after all he’s buying”. I thought for a second; it’s a good thing Paul’s not here and told the guys nice meeting you and went over and paid the bill. I had lost my appetite for pizza and as I was leaving all I could think about was if Paul had been with me he sure as hell would have started something taken a few of them out and I sure as hell would have had to back his play. I’ve always been thicker skinned and never figured it was worth my time to give someone a beat down even when they had a big mouth. As a kid I fought Golden Gloves in the junior division and when I grew up and was in Special Forces I eventually made my way to be an instructor teaching hand to hand combat so you could say I know a few things. Between Paul and me it sure would have been funny taking out the entire team but it wouldn’t be in my nature; but I can’t say the same for Paul. The local paper would have loved it with the headline “Local Hydroplane race driver who sponsored Softball team beats up team over Beer and Pizza”. That’s all I would have needed. The next day I saw my neighbor and mentioned what his team mates had to say and told him never to ask again for my sponsorship. He was a nice guy and was all apologetic but it wasn’t he who had the attitude and the big mouth and it wasn’t up to him to be apologizing; after all I only wanted to say hi and by the guys some drinks. The next evening we were standing in front of the shop and who comes driving in the yard in two cars but the entire soft ball team. They got out carrying a couple of cases of beer and start in apologizing telling me they didn’t know who I was and that everyone they know knows me or who I am and please except our apology. I didn’t even get a word in and Paul and my buddy Beak jump in with Paul yelling at the group “they were luck he wasn’t there because he would have loved to have given out a few boxing lessons”. I finally got a chance to talk and told the group that I understood and accepted the apology but in the first place this all would have never happened if they knew how to talk to people and as far as I’m concerned it was a big mistake sponsoring you guys and you look like a bunch of filthy tramps. I told them “if you know what good for you to take the expletive beer and themselves and get the hell out of here. Their heads dropped and they couldn’t get out of there quick enough. They loaded up and left and we never gave them another thought. I put the sorted affair behind me and never again sponsored an adult’s team. The next year I once again sponsored the kids and went back to the “Sweet Motorcycle Sidecars” name. The kids with my name on their backs never won a Championship but that never mattered; after all the kids were having fun and like many of us from generation to generation playing Little League baseball was a big deal when you’re at their age and just a stopping off point as they made our way through life. Plus the kids always appreciated it and for many more years we were lucky enough because of Sidecar sales to be able to help out. . I’ve told this little story only to show that we were fortunate in business and also in life and at times when we could we tried to give back to the community. Whenever I write these stories I can’t help but think that without the sidecar business all that we had the chance to do would have never happened or it would have been different and the taste and flavor would have never been the same.
Thanks for reading,
Johnny Sweet

Posted : March 22, 2013 3:05 pm
 46u
(@46u)

Johnny Sweet - 3/22/2013 8:06 PM

Hi Warren,

Hi Jeff,
In today's world you are a true one per-center or even less than a one per-center. Think about it you may be the only one in your entire state or the South East that relies on your sidecar rig for transportation and to get around. I can appreciate it more than most. Back in the 1920's and 30's my family only had sidecar rigs to get around with and although I wasn't around back then I was told the stories and the way life was back at that time in history. Jeff you may not realize it but your carrying on a tradition that only the truley real motorcycle enthusiast would understand; I take my hat off to you.
Happy riding,
Johnny Sweet

In 44 years of riding none stop I have lived with out a cage but never with out 2 wheels and now 3. I will be living tomorrow around 1PM for my grandsons birthday party about 30 miles one way. There is a 50% chance of rain. That is what they make Gore-Tex for. I am glade I have fairing, windshield and lower fairings. LOL On the bike I have now before my sidecar I have ridden though one tornado and two hale storms with out any cover in site. Rain suck but hale hurts. LOL
Thanks
Jeff

Posted : March 22, 2013 4:28 pm
(@warrenF)

Hi Johnny, it is really great that you are sharing your life's experience, thanks. I have learned a lot from your articles. With all the sidecars you built and have been around are brakes a should have or safety factor. and what is the best way to adapt to a California friendship II. thanks for any advice you can give me! Warren

Posted : April 3, 2013 3:44 pm
(@Wolfhound)

Great story, Mr. Sweet. I hope you are keeping copies of all these stories for the book that will come from your experiences.
People like you, and I, come from a different era and believe in values that many no longer even recognize.

Posted : April 3, 2013 4:57 pm
(@Johnny-Sweet)
Topic starter

Wolfhound - 4/3/2013 9:57 PM

People like you, and I, come from a different era and believe in values that many no longer even recognize.

Your correct in that we do come from a different era and there are a lot of people just like us, but the world she is a changing". At times I have this day dream and I'm standing on a hill. It's a sunny warm day with puffy clouds that allow the warm sun to show through with the shadows scattered along the landscape. The terrain is rolling hills and as I look off to the left I see the past. The road surface is dirt with a few winding turns and as I look I see my family that came before me on the road driving their sidecars. As I scan the landscape and look just off to my left around eleven o clock I see myself driving one of my sidecars when I was a young man. The roadway is asphalt and as I drive by in the next frame my son and I are driving our sidecars like we did twenty five years ago; was I ever that young. As I look off towards my right at two o'clock I see my grand kids with my son riding in their sidecars but at this point I'm no longer in the picture. And as I look way over towards the right the sun's not shining and it's raining but my son who is old at this point is riding with his son and my great grand kids. When looking towards the right I always see the same premonition and it's dark and bleak. I can't help but wonder if this is what the future has to hold for those that will come later. Normally I'm a person that lives in and for today always looking forward for what tomorrow will bring. Does this day dream mean anything? Who knows but one things for sure the country and world has sure changed in my lifetime. None of us know what the future will bring but one things for sure; what the progressives and politically correct have declared normal for us in today's world would have been a pis poor failure in the world that we came from. What this pack of fools have planned for us will surely take us into an abyss were there will be no climbing out of. When the hell did it change and become a bad thing for an individual to want to work hard and be successful and not want to ask for a hand out. I know no other life but to be thinking about the next great idea or product to bring to the market place. In today's world that's out dated thinking because the fools have the masses convinced that big government is the only answer and Entrepreneurship and the free market place is dead or dieing. When I was a young man all we ever thought about was what was the next buisness that we would be starting. For those friends that couldn't start and build a buisness we would help them out and guide them along the way. In the 1970's into the 80's in Southern New Hampshire alone over one hundred individuals became self made millionaires. In today's world they would say that they couldn't have made that kind of money or achieved that much success without cheating someone or steeling it and we would be considered greedy. What the hell has happened to this great country that at one time everyone wanted to come to so that they could live the" American Dream" In today's world they still want to come here but have no intention on chasing anything but a free hand out. O, excuse me for complaining and not being politically correct.
Johnny Sweet

Posted : April 4, 2013 6:14 pm
Page 8 / 13