Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Shippers

Just bought my second hack. Bike is in Seattle and I live in NC so looking for shippers. Any recommendations?

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user

I used Haul  Bikes to move my Bike out to Washington to have the custom work done to mount the sidecar.

The staff was efficient in setting up the transportation. An estimate is sent to you and requires your electronic signature to approve the deal. It was a few weeks until the truck was scheduled to be in my area to pick up the bike, but not a long wait with the end of riding season near. The semi needs a reasonably flat area, parking lot or loading dock to load the bike. The trailer is equipped with a lift gate for picking up from the ground. The driver arrived on time as  promised. Snapped pictures of the bike. Then loaded, and secured the rig.

The Rate is calculated by a standard space cubic volume, so a sidecar rig will occupy two spaces. I needed to change from the tall windscreen to the sporty shorty to keep the height within the allowed space.

https://haulbikes.com/  Moved a Honda ST1100 with a tall top box on the bike to DMC Sidecars within one standard space.

Jim

2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C

I will check them out thanks

This is my first experience shipping a motorcycle or sidecar rig.  Here's what I am finding out about shipping a complete sidecar rig over 1800 miles.  uShip is a brokerage service to align shippers with customers.  I got quotes from 4 different companies from $850 to $1300.  Offered services were about equal.  

I am waiting for HaulBikes to pick up the rig I just bought in Idaho.  They were supposed to pick it up on Thursday, March 26th, but with the COVID-19 lock downs in place they have rescheduled to (hopefully) next week.  I was aware something like this might affect the shipping when I bought the bike, so I'm ready to wait it out.  We negotiated  a cost of $800 (2 spaces) from Boise to Coldspring, Texas.  When I got the contract, to my surprise, they had added additional Service Costs and Insurance fees that came to another $100.   Some companies offer this insurance as part of their service, not HaulBikes.  And my insurance requires additional coverage when shipping with a third-party shipper.  I'll let you know how the actual service is around mid-April, if I'm lucky.  Just the cost of having a good time, I guess.

Later, Bud...

Bud,

For what it's worth, I've used HaulBikes several times and the service has always been very good.  They are not the fastest but their trailers are custom designed to haul bikes safely and with no damage.  All of the HB drivers that I've dealt with are riders themselves and both understand and respect how we feel out our bikes.  I'm confident that you'll be pleased.

The issue with Haul bikes right now is that the bike is located with in 50 miles of Seattle. They will not pick up or drop off right now with in 50 miles of Seattle. So for us, we can wave at the truck as it drives right by our shop, continues down a dead end road for 7 miles where we can then expose the drive to two employee's one to ride the bike, the other to bring him back. Or they could have simply phoned us, told us when the driver will be here so that we can have the bike sitting in the parking lot where the driver does not have to interact with any one.

So unless you can figure out a way to get the bike more then 50 miles from Seattle city limits, Haul bikes is out.

Let us know what you find out. We may have to find another shipper our selves. Our warehouse is getting pretty full of finished sidecars and sidecar bikes as no one wants to pick them up.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Evidently, Haul bikes is now picking up in the Seattle area as they are picking up 3 bikes tomorrow.

Jay G
DMC Sidecars

866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Unfortunately my seller went into hospital and diagnosed with the virus. On hold right now

OK my seller is home safe. I went with UShip and Haulbikes. Hope to have rig in NC by end of month

Deleted user, Big Tom and Thane Lewis have reacted to this post.
Deleted userBig TomThane Lewis