Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Just got a sidecar now what?

Sorry if this is a little long winded. I buy, fix up and sell a lot of old, mainly metric, bikes. Well my nephew called the other day and said "I found a 1980 FLT with a sidecar attached for cheap. I want the bike but have no use for the sidecar. Do you want it?". I jumped at the deal. A complete sidecar for $220? (my part of the entire purchase). "oh and you have to hook up your trailer and help me go get it.

Anyway I ended up with a Motorvation Formula II sidecar with luggage rack and convertible top (which ripped at the seams on the trip home). It's been sitting in a barn/shed for at least 20 years but still in good shape except for the tire which will be replaced.

I'm not done with the story. Well I have a 1985 Virago 700 that I've redone and it's ready to sell. Runs strong and tons of low end torque but it's only a 700. My son said "Hook the sidecar up to the Virago".  So that is the current plan. So far I have just undert $500 in the bike and sidecar combination! And both are black so it looks like a good match without having to paint anything.

I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how to do that.

Thoughts?

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Welcome to the world of sidecars. Once you come in, you won't want to leave.

Congratulations of a good find for a sidecar.

Depending on what type of riding you want to do, the Virago could be a good choice. Won't be the best Interstate flyer, but then most rigs aren't either. Virago, easy and inexpensive to gear down for more low end torque. You know the bike so not much new to learn there.

If this is your first sidecar, then building the sub-frame and mounts as well as setting up correctly is very important to achieve good handling and for your own safety. Many sources on line about building a sidecar and setting one up.

Then learning to pilot a rig comes next.  Requires a new set of skills. Not difficult, not hard to learn, just takes time and practice to ingrain them so they become a reflex in an emergency situation.

The unique benefits of sidecars become more evident the more you ride one.

Good luck with your new ride.

Thank you for you encouraging response. This would be my second sidecar as I have been riding, for the past 2 years,  an old Gillam (spelling?) attached to a 1971 CB350. After a few weeks of learning how to set up the sidecar and learning how to ride the combination, I realized that I wanted a larger bike to feel comfortable on the highway.

This current combination of Virago and Motorvation Formula II happened quite by accident. I bought the Virago a few months ago, non running after sitting for 9 years. I got it running and installed new tires/brakes/carb rebuild etc. Then last week my nephew called asking to use my trailer because he found an old Harley Shovelhead with this sidecar. He wanted the engine and trans from the Harley (no Title) and I said "I'll take the sidecar!".  That's when my son suggested that I attach the sidecar to the Virago. Like me, all 3 of my sons like to ride the sidecar/CB350 around town, but we feel the CB350 is too under powered for highway speeds.

I'm not convinced the Virago has enough power for task but it pulls like a freight train and larger size and weight seem more suited to the task. One of my sons, after a ride on the Virago, said "That low end torque is just vicious!" and I agree!

I guess I was posting, on this forum, looking for opinions on the Virago XV700, suitability as a tow vehicle for longer rides.

Hey John, I just assumed the Virago had a chain drive, not a cardan. Sorry. memory is not as good as in a former life.

With 56 HP and 43 ft/lb of torque the Virago can easily cruise highways, compared to the CB's 36 HP.  The sidecar you bought is more aerodynamic than most.

With your knowledge and experience, I'd say go for it. With the few dollars you have in this project, not a lot to risk. Your time.

Post a build report with photos as you bring it together. There are others who will be interested in reading it. I have learned something new from very individual build report I have read. People are creative, Always finding new ways, techniques, applications or methods that can apply to the build process. The results are as creative and unique as their builders.  Personally I have copied many ideas from other builds.

Jon

We'd like to see a picture of your "Gillam".  It's always nice to find out about a new/old brand.

Lets see if I can post some pics:

UPDATE: I had forgotten that I had the Virago on Craigslist and a woman came over and bought the bike! Now I need a new bike for the hack!!!

Or I guess I could just bolt it up to my 2008 Dyna Lowrider. Make it easy to detach??? I'll have to think about this for a while and keep looking for another bike. I really enjoy riding my Dyna, as it is, for an everyday bike.

Hi John:

I had the Motorvation Formula on a K1100  BMW for 20+ years and got a lot of good use out of it. 60,000+ miles. Border to border and coast to coast.  Mine was mounted at the Motorvation factory.  It had a substantial subframe made of 1" square tubing.  Don't go smaller than that when you build your subframe.

Whatever you put this car on you will enjoy it.  It is a gramma/grandkid wide.

Will Short

USCA President

Your red sidecar I believe is a Bingham, MK2 I have had one stored here for years for a local person. (Monica, if you see this you can come pick up your sidecar any time 🙂

Jay G
DMC sidecars

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30