Skip to content
Winter Tires on a K...

Notifications
Clear all

Winter Tires on a Kawi 1500 Drifter rig?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Would on road off road tires work? My tire sizes on the bike are 150/80-16 71H and front 130/90-16 67H.

Where would I look for options?

paul

Posted : November 11, 2012 10:19 am
(@peter-pan)

I rode to my students time in winter trial tires with specially soft rubber, because the regular summer tires became too hard. But look for an open thread hopefully with champhered flanks.
And for the special days I had saved a spare back wheel with spikes from Norway.
Snow chains work great as long you do not damage the spokes. (look in the archives there is a good instruction somewhere) As short term help a thick rope will help you out too, very well. And it will not chop off all the paint from the swing.
Sven

Posted : November 11, 2012 10:47 am
(@Mark-in-Idaho)

I use a Duro Median dual sport on the rear. There is enough tread depth to shoot carbide studs for riding on ice and snow floor.

http://www.bikebandit.com/duro-hf904-median-motorcycle-tire

Posted : November 15, 2012 7:59 am
(@peter-pan)

Mark, Where have You got lost?
Riding all summer as a snow bird?
Tell me when will start spring in Your area for not to get stuck in a Blizzard when I will hit North with my son early comeing year?
Sven

Buy the way the tire I use on the Enduro perhaps might become a good snow tire.
Pirelli MT 21.
http://www.bikebandit.com/pirelli-mt-21-motorcycle-tire
At least its good for mud and has champhered tread. But as usually no way to stay on Your pegs in soapy clay.

Posted : November 15, 2012 5:42 pm
(@Mark-in-Idaho)

Peter, I use a Firestone car tire during the thaw months. Spring used to start in May, but lately it's been June. We got our fist snow this year in mid October. That leaves us 1 month of spring, 2 months of summer, 1 month of fall and 8 months of winter. The good news is we don't get sub zero very often anymore.

Posted : November 15, 2012 8:03 pm
(@peter-pan)

Hello Mark,
BRrrrr. Only 4 month official riding season. Sounds bad.
But as I watched You, You go year round as soon the sidecar frame is taller then the snow.
In North Germany our summer was a green winter and the winter a gray (only very seldom white) summer.
During my last 5 years there only in 2 weeks I missed summer bike clothes.
And in Costa Rica year round riding in an ethernal spring, frecuently interupted by water up into the houses and washed away bridges. and several month of draught.
Well my son loves the cold because he doesn't know what frozen knuckles hurt and delay to heal. He will have to learn it somewhen.
This is the moment I'd say. Lets hit the plane the day after his mothers birthday 7th may?
Sven

Ps: When I got frozen to my fishing pole at -20Β°C the zinc cream prescripted by docs for ice burnt fingers didn't help at all.
Grandma's reciept from east prussian KΓΆnigsberg worked great and fast:
Wash 3 times a day the hands in lamp petroleum (spnisch Canfin/ english lamp cerosine?)

Posted : November 16, 2012 2:43 am