Notifications
Clear all

Looking for a Steib S250 owner....

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gearheaddiver)
Topic starter

I have a couple of questions pertaining to a Steib S250 sidecar....
I'm looking for diagrams or picture of exactly where and how the hydraulic shock/damper is attached to the S250.

I'm working on the restoration of one and am replacing damaged and absent parts.... currently, there is no shock installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Posted : August 27, 2017 1:07 pm
(@mijmoto)

Hey Gearhead, I have an S250. Mine doesn't have a shock installed but it is simple. The upper mount is on the tower with a tab and the lower is a threaded hole on the back side of the axle. Here is a link for the original style but it is too expensive for me. http://www.ideal-seitenwagen.eu/English/Seitenwagen/Seitenwagen_e.htm Just scroll down to see the shock.

My S250 is mounted to a R26 and is in pretty good shape. I am looking for the rubber mounts that go under the tear drop shaped alloy front mounts. Happy to discuss any questions you have. Might have an answer but I might learn something as well. Jim

Posted : September 18, 2017 5:41 am
(@gearheaddiver)
Topic starter

Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to reply...and to answer my question.
The lower shock mount (hole) on my car, had the remnants of a broken bolt/stud....
After carefully grinding the protruding, seized, damaged bolt section flat... I center punched and progressively drilled out the bolt, leaving approx 2mm wall (not touching threads)...
Drilled through the section of bolt, into the void...filled with my secret penetrating fluid and let sit overnight. Using a small punch, caved in the "wall of the embedded bolt...and pulled the whole thing out like a spring... absolutely no damage to the original (tapped) threads.

My box of repar/replacement parts arrived today, from Ideal Sidecars in Berlin... including a beautiful polished shock (as well as the front rubber "bearings that go under the teardrops...
Very happy with the quality of parts and especially the excellent service/support I received from Ideal....

Looking forward to the start of the restoration....

Ashley

Posted : September 18, 2017 1:21 pm
(@gearheaddiver)
Topic starter

Jim,

Tell me more about your car....
Where did you get it, how long have you had it? Etc.....

I plan on attaching mine to my '62 R50/2....

Ash...

Posted : September 18, 2017 1:27 pm
(@mijmoto)

Ash, Got mine in FL. It was a rust bucket. Made new floor pans etc. and welded it all back together. Took me a long time. I have probably had the car for 15 years and had it complete for maybe 10 years. The impetus for the project was the purchase of the R26. The 26 was so slow I couldn't believe it so checked the gears and it had the sidecar ratios. Then the search for the sidecar began. The rig is slow but it is cute and fun and that interests me. In 2012, my wife and I rode a 1927 BSA S27 (500cc) from New York to San Francisco at 35 mph. Different world... How about you? Where did you find your car? They seem rare in the US. I would like to find out how many were made plus I need to buy the mounting rubbers under the tear drops. What is the part number? I couldn't find them on ideals site. Jim

Posted : September 18, 2017 3:36 pm
(@gearheaddiver)
Topic starter

That sounds awesome.... did you, by chance have a thread on Adv Rider or similar site? I seem to remember following a thread where someone replaced the floor pans...I was very impressed...
I've had my R50/2 for about 10 years now...and have always been fascinated by sidecars...
I started looking for one about 6 months ago..came across lots of Jawas, ural, etc locally....but think that the only proper sidecar for a BMW would be a Steib...
I was familliar with the s500 and the LS200. .... but had never seen an S250.
I put out a few ads and inquired on some sites, etc... and was contacted by someone that was willing to sell a 250..
about 10 hours away from me... and it was missing quite a few parts..but was in Very solid condition...and a fair pfice.
the parts list and cost was extensive... but will be well worth it.

Part number for the "front rubber torsion buffer S250" is S113z3 (83.95€ / each)

Posted : September 18, 2017 4:14 pm
(@mijmoto)

Thanks for the part number. I will order as long as a shipment will be coming the shock as well. Is your badged Steib or BMW? Mine is BMW just like the R26 brochure shows so I am happy about that. Not sure how to post pictures here. Joined just to respond to your post as I found it from a Google search. Frankly, wasn't aware of the sidecar site. Also, my rebuild wasn't posted anywhere. I can't seem to muster the organizational effort required to post pictures and write the details of a build. I would benefit from it as something is always under construction and it would help map progress. Is yours on the road?

Posted : September 18, 2017 7:11 pm
(@gearheaddiver)
Topic starter

Jim,

I was trying to figure out how to post pictures here too....
you can e ail me at mcclymont (at) xplornet (dot) com
Mine came badged BMW but I have ordered the Steib emblem too....but I may stay with the BMW roundel.

A...

Posted : September 19, 2017 12:54 am