Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Yeah, Me too, Newbie

I always wanted a sidecar rig and finally one day I was at the right place and at the right time....or was I? Anyway I now have a BMW R100/7, 1977 model, with a Velorex 562 sidecar. Rig has been driven for 94K miles and always dealer maintained. The past owner was 86 years old and the only thing that kept him riding anymore was.....death (by natural causes).

So I pulled it out of the "barn" (yes real barn like in Old Mcdonald), cleaned it off, changed the lubes, charged the battery and Varoom! I'm now riding my first hack. I started a blog, http://www.finallyhacked.blogspot.com and am learning to ride the monster, so far not doing too bad.

I've been and am a long term rider, started in 1965 and except for a little overseas duty always had a bike, or two, heck or can you believe 16 at one time. But that's another story. The only other sidecar experience was with my Vespa 150 with small sidecar, (I think designed for clowns and small pets). Anyway, I'm in Maryland so if any one is interested in riding together let me know. Ciao, Leonardo

Leonardo - 6/26/2014 7:00 PM

... now riding my first hack.... learning to ride the monster, so far not doing too bad....

I've been and am a long term rider, started in 1965 and except for a little overseas duty always had a bike, or two, heck or can you believe 16 at one time. But that's another story....

Heh...heh... It can be an addiction. Welcome to the offset sidecar world. Be careful as you learn to pilot your rig. Read the available materials and practice the exercises. And we both suggest a training class - invaluable to make you do those practice runs that you just won't do yourself (such as panic stops & swerves), as well as the oversight of an experienced sidecarist to point your errors.

Sorry, we're too far away to meet for breakfast tomorrow, but we're sure looking forward to lots of stories and pics from the road.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Welcome! Enjoyed the posts on your blog.

Thank you, took the bike on my trout fishing morning. Sidecar has plenty of room for poles and gear. Thanks for reading my blog. The other one is
http://www.bmwlastdance.blogspot.com , you are welcome to read that one too. It's about my 1970 R60 that I am getting ready for a trip from the Atlantic coast to Pacific and return.

Hi Leonardo:
Welcome to the eccentric world of sidecaring. I went to the blog and saw your pics. You are doing what I did - bought a rig and learned all those things that you mentioned - the hard way. I was on my second sidecar when I finally had an opportunity to take a class at a rally. It was valuable. I find myself using those skills that Lee mentioned on occasion. What ever you do seek out the company of an experienced sidecar pilot.(Yes that is what we sometimes call ourselves. You have discovered that it isn't like driving a car. There are sensations like rough air under one wing or waves under one side of the boat. Well anyway - be careful until you get used to those strange sensations and the fact that a rig is wider on the right side. Those were the things I found un-nerving at first.

Will Short

Thanks Will. I have been looking for some training and help. One of the guys at Bob's BMW has given some advise that I have been following plus my ventures have been getting further each trip. I can tell you this, right turns are tough. If anyone is in my area and can spend some time with me (free breakfast and/or lunch on me) I would be thankful and you will be happy to know I have a lot of tools and m/c work experience. My phone is 240-876-9194

Left turns are tougher and dangerous. You hace no anoucement and suddenly the back comes up and the nose jams into the ground...
On my MZ I even mounted a PE patch for to drift over it...the first copilot with whom it happened did never enter into the sidecar.
Sven

Hey Leonardo, I am not to far away from Sandy Springs. Maybe we will run into each other soon. TomM is over in Montgomery Village MD and I have PBrowne just one county over form me in Shepherdstown WV. WE will have to work on a gathering soon.
Love the blog. I should have done one for Aiden and I on our sidecar travels. The leg shields are cool and I wanted to go to the Howard County swap meet but had to much stuf going on.

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member