Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

xj 650 with a sidecar?

so i've been riding a few years now and i have decided that i would try to find a sidecar for my yamaha xj 650 from 85.
my problem now is im in need of some technical data regarding the bikes ability to use a sidecar without damaging the frame of the bike.

the reason i need this information is that i live in freaking Denmark where there are rules for everything 🙁 and the only way i will be able to get a sidecar on it is to get the info.
so im kinda hoping that you guys know a place where i can get this 🙂
ofcourse i tryed calling yamaha and stuff but since their tests would cost thousands of dollars im not gonna go with that option.:)

best regards Troels R.

I don't know what technical data is needed but we have nounted dozens of sidecars to XJ650 Yamahas with good results. Both for on road and off road usage. Most conversions used different Velorex models but one of my favorites was a 1983 XJ650 with a URAL Bavarian Classis car that I ran in the Bonehead Enduro in 1998 and 1999. Stock XJ650 with a 180# monkey.

Lonnie

Attached files

very cool, but i still need some technical data before im allowed to mount it in Denmark.
the rules are so that i cant just make a rig and then it's leagal.... :/

I'm afraid you are in a tough position due to the fact there may be only vetted approval of sidecars from manufacturers who sell approved sidecar combos in Denmark. URAL, MZ and perhaps pre 2011 Harley Davidson rigs might be acceptable. Most other manufacturers have disclaimers regarding the use of sidecars. Many will void the warranty if a sidecar is mounted.

Good Luck,

Lonnie

that's what i thought, to bad though, i really like the bike.
so i guess ill just have to make due without it .

thanks for the help guys.

ps. i would really like a ural but to get a fairly new one in denmark is quite expensive(the old ones are made of such bad metal that they cant be used for everyday riding, or so i've been told anyways.)
i payed 2000$ for a street legal bike two years ago in denmark. thats really cheap seeing that we have "tax's" on everything.