Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

windshield wind deflector

Hi, I am a newbie to this forum and sidecars, . Got my sidecar last week from Hannigan, a GTL model for my 03 1800 Gold Wing and to my surprise I get this horrific wind blast on my right side. I should have anticipated that the air would be compressed between the bike and such a large sidecar, jut never thought of it. Now I want to add a windshield mounted air deflector to the right side of my windshield to hopefully cut down on some of this unwanted wind. So far all I have found is a set of windshield wind deflectors from Wingstuff. If anyone knows of a better, or any other option I sure would appreciate hearing about it.
Thanks
Andy

Welcome Andy!! You aren't alone it seems and I used the search feature (upper left and search all threads) to find several others with this problem. Here's is one thread but there are others. The link doesn't look like it all came through but a copy paste will work too.

http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9375&posts=4&highlight=wind deflectors&highlightmode=1#M58560

tHANKS jOYCE
I have contacted Peter Probst by email and hope he still makes those things. I saw something similar on Dave Hannigan's sidecar rig, although the plastic was broken. I believe I can make something like that myself if Peter no longer makes them. Also I have a Tulsa tall windshield which slopes back a lot farther and steeper than an oem Honda windshield. Will post if I have any luck
Andy

I emailed Peter Probst, but have had no response so far, if anyone knows how to contact him, please let me know
Andy

Andy... I've got the same outfit that you do. I found that a set of Baker Built hand wings (the ones that mount to the lower side of the mirrors) do a pretty good job of breaking up the wind coming off of the sidecar.

Thanks Circuit Rider, we must have something different. I have the Baker hand wings and they dont seem to do much in deflecting the wind, if they do, i'd hate to think what it would be like without them. I am pursuing the wind deflector built by Peter Probst in Germany. His exact model may not fit my Wing since I have the Tulsa tall windshield [great wind and rain protection before the sidecar], but I see wher a modification of that will keep most of the wind off me.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I will keep looking and experimenting until the wind quiets down to a reasonable level.
Andy

I wonder if the difference might be in the windshield. I'm using the stock Honda windshield set at the lowest level so I can see over it. Just a guess.

Hi Bud,
could be the windshield, however the strongest blast seems to come from near and above the handgrip and the control pod for the cruise control-starter-reverse. I still have the original oem windshield and I may try that and I have an F-4 tall which had many facets to recommend it, but it was like pushing a barn door through the wind. The Tulsa tall was the best windshield yet, that is until I got the sidecar.
Thanks for your input, I was going to put a picture of my Wing with the Baker handwings, but I dont know how to post a picture to this forum
Andy

Andy, edit you post and at the bottom is a box to check for attach a file after posting. Then you can stick the picture in.

Hi Joyce, will give it a try

Hi Joyce,
I tried following your instructions, but have had no luck. Is there a step that you may be leaving out? can you be more detailed, step after step like you are teaching an illiterate child.
Thanks,
Andy

I happened to come across the above postings about wind being deflected off the side car's windshield onto the rider. I am glad people are discussing the issue. I would have imagined that someone who have figured out a solution after many years that side cars have been in use. Perhaps windshields are more recent in development on the timeline for sidecar existence. After all picture of early side car rigs were all open with no windscreens.

I ride a Ural side car rig with an aftermarket windscreen (which also protects/covers my hands from the wind). I have noticed it pushes air to my sidecar, and in turn the sidecar windshield blows air onto me. I just started to adjust my front windscreen slightly by adjusting the attachments coming up from my handlebars. I have notice I can tilt it left or to the right slightly. I figure I can push some air off to my left (away from my rig). I have to figure out if my rig's design would compensate with drag on my right and hopefully balance the penetration of the rig through the air.

If I have any success with my windshield adjustments I will let you all know. Unfortunately, my experiments can't do anything for rigs such as Goldwings which have windshield that only adjust up and down. I thank everyone that brought this issue up, and I am glad I am not alone with this experience.

Thanks for all the comments so far and they have broadened my knowledge of the subject. Thinking outside of the box, has anyone investigated putting some spoilers/air deflectors on the body of the sidecar to channel the wind away from the rider? So far all comments and my thinking have been about blocking the wind once it has been pushed toward the right side of the rider. I have a fairly forceful squirrel cage fan that I will direct towards the rig and I will attach telltales to the sidecar and the bike and see just where the wind flow goes and what can be done to alter it. Any suggestions will be more than welcome.
Andy

Andy Cserny - 3/10/2012 9:04 PM Thanks for all the comments so far and they have broadened my knowledge of the subject. Thinking outside of the box, has anyone investigated putting some spoilers/air deflectors on the body of the sidecar to channel the wind away from the rider? So far all comments and my thinking have been about blocking the wind once it has been pushed toward the right side of the rider. I have a fairly forceful squirrel cage fan that I will direct towards the rig and I will attach telltales to the sidecar and the bike and see just where the wind flow goes and what can be done to alter it. Any suggestions will be more than welcome. Andy

When I bought my HitchHiker the previous owner had mounted one of those 70's vintage bug guards for a pickup truck on the front of the sidecar diagonally. I thought it looked silly and took it off. I was amazed at the wind I got without it. It was even worse for my wife on the back of the bike. I put it back on.

It mounted near the windscreen on the right side of the car, but out at the front on the left.

About the only place to find a flat one anymore is a truck junkyard or maybe a truck stop.