USCA Sidecar Forum

WE CONTINUE TO BE HIT BY PHISHING ATTACKS. THE SITE HAS NOT BEEN “HACKED”, THEY ARE JUST PICKING UP INFO THAT IS IN THE OPEN. PLEASE BE EXTRA CAREFUL AND DO NOT RESPOND!

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

wind management

New to sidecaring. running a 97 valk with California sidecar. Has anyone used the Baker airwings with good results. I run them on my other 2 bikes, no sidecar, & they are great.

G

gvalk97 - 10/26/2009 4:00 PM

New to sidecaring. running a 97 valk with California sidecar. Has anyone used the Baker airwings with good results. I run them on my other 2 bikes, no sidecar, & they are great.

G

When I owned my former 1994 Goldwing SE, I had Baker Airwings on it. They worked very well.

As luck would have it, however, I got into a scuffle with Mr. Baker back around 1995. I wrote an email to Baker & Co. and asked why the screws that were supplied with the Baker Air Wngs didn't fit in the threads in the inserts inside of the Honda Goldwing's plastic shelters. IIRC, the original screws are 4mm X 1.0. He provides 10-32 screws. They are close but no cigar.

Mr. Baker himself wrote an angry e-mail back telling me that I was a troll and how dare I say anything derogatory about his wonderful product. I did not respond. I merely removed the Airwings and sold them on eBay. They work OK but on a Valkryie, I would also want to add a fairing.

I liked the Valks very much. I'm rather sorry that Honda quit building them. They would make a great sidecar machine.

I have a Standard Valkyrie with a Motorvation sidecar. I have the Baker wings on it and they work just fine (as they did before I added the sidecar).
However, due to the positioning of the top front sidecar mount, I had to make a 90 degree bend adapter to reposition the right side Baker wing so it wouldn't interfere with the sidecar mount. That was pretty easy to do and all is good.

P.S. The Valkyrie makes a great sidecar bike - plenty of power and pretty smooth at any speed. I also added 6 degree raked triple trees, so the steering is fairly easy. Not exactly like "power steering" but very managable.

Thanks. I am lookin for a set of Bakers. May have to purchase new because they are a much sought after item. I love them on my other bikes.

G

Thanks. The one I have is a 97. Had only 11,000 miles on it when I bought it in Sept. Have only put 600 mi. so far. I think it is true the 97's were faster. I have a 98 & a 99 to compare with. The wind is extreme. I put a tourer shield on but not much difference. All the wind is off the car. Will try the Bakers.

G

The Valkryie is a really amazing bike. In all of the time since they came out, the only negative thing I ever heard about them was the fuel mileage being rather low when pushing them hard.

One other issue that may or may not be a problem depending upon the amount of extra lighting you use was the size of the alternator on the Goldwing and Valkryie. They came from the factory with a 45 amp alternator, the same size as a Harley Ultra. Many owners wanted more amperage so they would replace the OEM alternator with a Compufire which was 90 amps. It was a modified automobile alternator. On the Goldwing there was just barely enough room to get one in behind the engine.

I bought one and it was really hard to get in there. I understand that they wouldn't fit on a Valkryie without either cutting a notch out of the frame or dropping the engine. A small problem I guess.

The other alterative is a stock alternator with a high output winding. I have one on my 99 Interstate. Mileage is no problem with the 6.9 gal tank.

G

Assuming it's a GW Interstate I believe there is, hit the GW web sites and ask, I remember reading about a change over that would cure the wimpy output of the OEM alternator that kept burning up because of added acc.

Its a Valkyrie Interstate. 1st yr. for the I/S was 99.

G

gvalk97 - 10/27/2009 8:40 PM

The other alterative is a stock alternator with a high output winding. I have one on my 99 Interstate. Mileage is no problem with the 6.9 gal tank.

G

The 6.9 gallon tank will extend your range but does nothing about miles per gallon.