Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Wind Blast

Page 1 of 2Next

I get a tremendous air blast that I think is coming off the Calf. Companion sidecar, it's really strange because all I have to do is lay my hand on my knee and move my hand out about 6 inches and its gone and the force that hits my hand is NOTHING compared to what hits me if I don't have my hand there, it's a real PITA, the bugs,,bees come shooting in and hit in the neck and upper face area, I made a plastic Hooter that straps to my leg that does the same thing as my hand being there but it's pain to put on and take off all the time,I just wish I could find where it coming from so I could put some kind of deflector to rid myself of this annoyance, am I the only one that has this problem?
I've been thinking about taking some of that plastic marking ribbon and tape strips all over the nose area of the SC and RS of the bike shield to see if I can get some kind of direction of flow, anybody have any other ideas?

There are several vendors of small metal and plastic windwings that can be attached to the sides of the windshield or front fork area that can help reduce this. J.C. Whitney is one.
Some sidecar rigs are more prone to this wind blast than others partly due to shape of the car and it's windshield and partly due to the positioning of the car in regards to the bike. Whether it's mounted forward or further back can make a difference. So can mounting the car closer or farther away from the bike.

Lonnie.

I get the same wind blast on the right side of my face from the SC.
I had my MV FII mounted on my /5 , and now on the K100 RT..same blast on both bikes. must be the SC nose or windshield.
come in low like yours does...around lower right side of the fairing.
I dont think an addition to the WS would help...too high.
need it below the throttle grip.
my SC is mounted with only around 3" of lead...far back.

I noticed the blast from my Dneper windshield. Fortunately it folds down or is easily removed. The wind blast goes away when the windshield goes away. I rarely have a passenger so I have not had to seek a cure.

Lonnie, do you have a or some web sites that I could go to , I'm not finding much on line with regards to wind deflectors.

Thank You.

Shadow,
J.C Whitney and cruisercustomizing.com are the only ones I can think of at present.
They have various styles of windshield, windshield wings, fork deflectors, lowers and other accessories that can deflect or redirect wind forces.

Lonnie

Having a helper (passenger) hold some various sizes and shapes of cardboard or something in different areas and positions may be a start to designing a deflector. Funny but even a small deflector in the right place can be like magic. The deflector can be made of lexan, aluminum , fiberglass or whatever. A piece off of a discarded motorcycle windshield may work great. If you go this route maybe make up a trial one and mount it..then try it under different conditions. The wind blast may come and go dependant upon speed and sidewinds.
I have done the taped on ribbon deal before and it sure does confirm just how un-areodynamic a sidecar rig is...lol.
As mentioned. sometimes just a very small adjustment of the sidecar placement in relation to the bike can make a difference. Moving it away or back in relation to the bike.
I think the worst sidecar we had owned for Windblast was a 562 Velorex but it was mounted with a lot of lead. Lead reduced ='d no wndblast. One of the sidecars we have run with the least windblast was a Watsonian Palma which has a windshiled that curves from side to side to allowed the wind to roll off easily.Results of course will vary.
Windblasts can be very annoying in clod weither. Worst case is one that blows cold air up your right nostril...wow ..talk about a headache and misery! In the winter sometime you can recognize the sidecar jockey in a crowd by his frost bitten nose.
Some rigs actually can become better with mods done to the windscreen on the bike itself. If somene has one of those barn door tall windshields they may find that cutting it down will make a huge difference.

Hi Claude,
I have the Lexan and what you suggested is what i plan on doing but you left one thing out,,,,going nuts trying to find where to put it 🙂

In my case because of the design of the Calf. sidecar, the passanger sets well back, I would have to mount test deflectors on a stick to be able to get them forward enough to see what would work, that's why the taped string, ribbon whatever to see, or at least hopefully see a pattern of air flow. The force at which it hits my face and neck area and the pressure of the air when I put my hand out to stop it are not anywhere equal, one could say pounds and ounces, that little bit of disturbance caused by my hand, or the plastic hooter I strap on my leg, virtually eliminates it, that's where the going nuts part comes in, it's like I'm creating a secondary air flow to eliminate the primary one.

Your right is saying that the wind direction makes a difference, while driving the rig from Virginia to Washington St. I had ample opportunity to try to figure out, or try to figure out what was going on with this, a tail wind helped, a head wind not a lot of difference, wind from the right was extremely bad.

One thing I haven't tried is pulling the SC shield to see what if any difference it will make, I suspect it will make a big difference, But where I go from there I don't know, can't mess with that model specific wind sheild too much. Here in Eastern Washington there's a lot of roads with very little traffic,,, Soooo there's gonna be a strange looking rig rolling down the road with cardboard here and ribbons there, I can just see what's going to happen if I meet a WSP going the other way and then trying to explain all the extra jewelry to him, maybe I can tell him I'm getting ready for a prade,:-)

Thanks for your input Claude, I appreciate it.

Ted

Well I will do my 2 cents input. I ride a Honda Shadow 1100 with a Velorex 565. My 1st long ride was 300 miles plus about 200 back roads and the rest on interstate. When I got off the rig it was a pain to move from the blast in my right side. I had the barn door that Claude was talking about as you can see in the photo below.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/Richardmc4/DSC00145_edited1.jpg

I had to pull the windshield off the sidecar for something else and the blast when away. But I do very little interstate so I have also replaced “the barn door” with something smaller and a cut down one on the car.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/Richardmc4/newwind1.jpg

Now something I had thought about, have heard both good and bad, was Micro-Swirl edging. I have not used this but may some day.

http://www.saeng.com/default.htm

I wish you the best of luck it is a more fun ride with out the blast

Howdy,

The windshield on mine isn't quite that high, I'm going to be taking it off and see what happens and see what the wife says about it all, The Seang edging you mentioned is a real sore spot with me, the claims he makes are IMHO nothing more than lies, I tried it on my Honda ST1100 and it made things worse and at $10 a foot that ain't good, wrote the company and complained and all I got back is that i had it installed wrong, there is no wrong, there's only one way to put it on,,well maybe 2 but you would have to install it backwards, when I got the sidecar there was some on the car shield, as usual I took it off to see if there was any difference,,,,there wasn't, anyhow I going to be trying different things and hopefully one of them will work and won't be too outstanding looks wise,,,gotta keep um looken sharp Ya know.

Ted,
I think you are on the right track and about all you can do at this point is experiement. Things are different enough on so many sidecar bike combos that a straight forward answer is folly.
Of course you could mount a large shop fan to blow against the wind to counteract it. Not sure is there is a 12v motor strong enough to run it right though. But a 110 generator could be put in the sidecar ....Of course gas consumption woudl then be an issue due to the two fans and the generator running.
Sorry it must be the medication

Not a bad idea, Boy,,,you really know how to make a guy feel stupid. maybe you can help me out, I'm trying to make up my mind if I should reverse the cams or flip the swing arm to ride in reverse to get away from that darned wind blast,,wadda think. 😉

Hi, Darn, I was hoping to read good things about "Micro-Swirl Edging". My wife complains that she gets a blast when I take my hand off the throttle to shake out the old hands and the edging sounded good. I could eliminate her problem by riding solo, sorry honey, really!!! Of course on a 1977 R100S with RT bars and a medium Parabellum shield I am already wind blasted everywhere.Santa

Originally written by Shadow1100T on 6/7/2007 9:47 PM

Not a bad idea, Boy,,,you really know how to make a guy feel stupid. maybe you can help me out, I'm trying to make up my mind if I should reverse the cams or flip the swing arm to ride in reverse to get away from that darned wind blast,,wadda think. 😉

Feel stupid? Heck I have felt that way so long it has become natural to me.

You may try out a pair of "Breezies" sold at this vendor and at least take the mounts from them to adapt to a plastic template that meets your needs. These are the old style ones for antique cars, but the mounts may work. Heck, who knows, the things may work as is.
http://www.shrunkenheads.com/
Huey

Originally written by Santa Ron & Shirley on 6/11/2007 5:25 PM

Hi, Darn, I was hoping to read good things about "Micro-Swirl Edging". (Remainder Snipped)

I tried the edging on my R100RS windshield. First off, it is probably $1/foot molded rubber edging sold for ten times that. Second, it didn't do a darned thing. I was luckier. They took mine back and refunded my money minus shipping.

Sarge

Hi to all .I have the same trouble with my new set up. Did a 800km ride on the weekend (wind blast on to my left side was a real pain .Has anyone come up with a fix for the wind blast problem .Cheers Ian.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5991716

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5991622

I have the problem to a lessor degree (I think) on my Goldwing/Hannigan rig.

I added the Baker Wings which seem to have eliminated the issue (leaving in 10 days on a long trip, will know for sure then).

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/home.htm

I realize they don't make them for all bikes, other than the bigger cruisers, but perhaps they could be adapted/copied for a specific bike.

good luck

greg

I took your advise Greg and I added the Baker double Wings to 1500 tonight. We will go for a ride in the morning and see what happens.

Originally written by gregbenner on 7/15/2007 9:49 AM

I have the problem to a lessor degree (I think) on my Goldwing/Hannigan rig.

I added the Baker Wings which seem to have eliminated the issue (leaving in 10 days on a long trip, will know for sure then).

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/home.htm

I realize they don't make them for all bikes, other than the bigger cruisers, but perhaps they could be adapted/copied for a specific bike.

good luck

greg

I now have about 4500 miles using the Baker Wings, and they work really great, both for the wind and the rain. Plus, when it is hot, and going slow (traffic) I can turn then so to get more air flow.

Page 1 of 2Next