Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Whole assembly not staying properly rigid

I've bolted a Velorex 562 to my Shadow 1100, it's my very first sidecar. The four mounts are in the four locations on http://www.motorvation.com/shadow1.htm

I set the toe-in and lean-out correctly, and when first riding, it's wonderful and feels just right. As time passes [about 20-30 minutes of excitable riding], the whole assembly loses lean-out and begins to lean-in.

I'm think that the root problem is that my frame clamps aren't tight enough, and are rotating slightly around the frame as they're pushed and pulled by the sidecar. I'm not sure what to do about this, I'm using the universal clamps that came with my sidecar. I think the issue might be that I can't really properly tighten the eyebolts against the frame [they're snug, but not what I'd call "tight"]. The eyebolts have to be at a specific angle in order to actually take the clevis bolts; to go any tighter, they need to go another half-turn, but I can only squeeze another quarter-turn.

I've moved the clamps/eyebolts around a bit on purpose [to make a straighter line with the struts], so the effective lever trying to rotate them is a bit shorter. This appears to help a little, but it still rotates, just at a slower rate.

Is this something for which there's a [hopefully simple] known solution for? What do I do?

Cheers!
Gary

I see a very simple solution for your problem: You need at least a subframe that connects the lower front and the lower rearjoint to your motorcycle. Better take one, that has a connection for the upper front joint too.
Your bike is too heavy for universal frame clamps and it´s heavy for a Velorex without a reinforced sidecar frame.
The sidecar was designed for a 350cc twostroke Jawa and a total rig weight of what your Shadow weights alone.

First, Your bike is a lot heavier then I would think safe for the Velorex sidecar. This is not a combination we would ever recommend. Second, we feel that the Velorex "universal" type frame clamps are worth about what ever scrap is going for. Proper bike specific mounts are really the way to go. The lower rear mount as it attaches to the Velorex frame will slip, it is a stupid design that they have stuck with for 4 decades rather then fix. At this link you will get a better idea of how to properly mount a Velorex sidecar http://www.dmcsidecars.com/the-result-of-improper-sidecar-mounting-and-the-proper-fix/
Should you decide to go with a heavier stronger sidecar or go with a smaller lighter bike we would be glad to help with mounting hardware as we do make bike specific mounts for the shadow 1100 however we will pass on supplying mounts to mount your current sidecar to this bikes as it is out side of our safety comfort zone.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30