Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Who woulda thunk it

Page 1 of 2Next

I bought my rig in March, I've been to Daytona Beach and back to Columbia SC area twice, I have seen a grand total of three sidecars besides mine, two were in the Lugoff SC area, and I saw one while I was at the big Harley shop in Daytona. I finally, accidentally, ran into the third sidecar rider at the local Food Lion store while the wife was shopping, what was even more interesting he and the other guy both ride Ural's, and we all went into the military within a couple of years, and we all retired, myself and the first guy I met retired within a few months of each other, the guy I met today, retired in 2006, after 35 years. The fact that there are 3 sidecars in 1 small county is unusual by itself, but for all of us to retire from the military is so weird.
That got me thinking, how many other riders are either veterans or retired vets on the board?

Doc

Retired army 1977. Driving a new Kenna powered by a '98 Goldwing SE. Having a ball in Seattle.

Disabled vet..Nam 70/71, retired civilian 11/17/09...

USN Med Retired.

14 years USN, much of it with the Marines. Left the service after 14 years as a CWO2 when I was accepted to grad school. Intended to go back as civil service or medical service corps, but married a Vermonter and that was the end of that.

Army, 'Nam 71-72, still workin. Would love to retire! Have lots of riding to do! 🙂

Basic training at Fort Lewis in '47. 96 bucks a month seemed like a lot of money back then. Squad leader, heavy weapons, with an 81. Mustered out in '50 during the Korean conflict.

USCG Jan '66- Jan '70

Reardan Tom - 7/5/2010 4:54 PM

USCG Jan '66- Jan '70

The Coasties rock! When I was on a round-bottomed minesweeper feeling sorry for myself I'd ride to Oregon and watch the coasties intentionally capsize their rescue craft to practice righting themselves. No matter how many times I lost my cookies on that miserable MSO we never turned turtle like that!

pete

My last station was the life boat station on Chetco River. At one of the stations north of us they tore the super structure off a 44 footer rolling it for drill. A message came down from district HQ that we were not roll the boats for drill any longer.

Doktor - 7/3/2010 7:39 PM

I bought my rig in March, I've been to Daytona Beach and back to Columbia SC area twice, I have seen a grand total of three sidecars besides mine, two were in the Lugoff SC area, and I saw one while I was at the big Harley shop in Daytona. I finally, accidentally, ran into the third sidecar rider at the local Food Lion store while the wife was shopping, what was even more interesting he and the other guy both ride Ural's, and we all went into the military within a couple of years, and we all retired, myself and the first guy I met retired within a few months of each other, the guy I met today, retired in 2006, after 35 years. The fact that there are 3 sidecars in 1 small county is unusual by itself, but for all of us to retire from the military is so weird.
That got me thinking, how many other riders are either veterans or retired vets on the board?

Doc

Retired from the Navy in Oct 09 after 30 years. I ride down to Columbia every month to see my mother in a nursing home, so if you see me on the road, stop me and we'll shoot the breeze awhile. I occassionally get my bike serviced ay Harley Haven in Irmo, so you might see me there too.

Bubba

US Army 89-94 not retired but I am a Colorado state employee and that as close to retired as I can get at 39.

USN 60-64 EN2 USS Delta AR9 in Long Beach, EN "A" School in Great Lakes NTC, USS Conserver ARS-39, homeport was Pearl but we were only there 8 months of the 36 I was on board. Now retired from 29 years teaching Automotive Technology in WA, FRG and AK.

US NAVY SeaBees, MCB-9, 64-66. Now retired after 28 years in law enforcement.

Just national service at Bundeswehr tank pioneers 83-84. and luckily living now in a country were there is no army. Everybody is free to make up his own mind. Allthough my Goodfather is a retired UK Royal Signal officer I think as engineer in a 3rd world country I do more good to mankind then defending the fence that was right behind my village 1/2 a mile away parting Europe. Luckily I lived on the free side.
Sven

USN enlisted in 60's. USAF officer in 70's-80's. USN officer in 80's - 90's. Viet Nam Era veteran.
Retired from my State of Texas employment in June, 2010. Still loving my '05 Ural Troyka since purchased in 2006.

God bless all of our troops who protect our rights and freedom, and the families who await their safe return home.

Enlisted as a Tanker in '77, assigned to 40TH Armor, Berlin Brigade.
Switched over to Infantry in mid 80s, assigned 5/8 INF Mainz until '89, then 327 INF / 101ST ABN, Fort Campbell 'till 1993.

Here's to all you old Troopers, wherever, whenever, for whomever, you served.

Here I am saluting in an Iraqi sandstorm; don't remember why, really, but today it's for you all:

Photobucket

101 Airborne 1958-1960, Ft Campbell,KY.

US Navy enlisted 1953, out in 1959.

USMC, 68-89' Making aircraft part now. Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2Next