Notifications
Clear all

Which way to go?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dell-mccoy)
Topic starter

I have 2014 Triumph America. Great bike. Want sidecar. Looking at Watsonian, but they are pricey. Found 2013 Ural with low miles for essentially same cost. Which would you choose? 

Posted : October 3, 2020 7:55 am
(@Anonymous)

I'd go with the Ural myself. But it's totally a personal choice. About 18 years ago, my wife decided to quit riding with me. That after many years of doing so. I thought perhaps she'd like the view and the ride from a sidecar. I did not expect to enjoy it but if it meant she's still go, lets try it. I bought a used Ural. Her mind was made up but I found a whole new thrill and my boxer, Archie, loved the sidecar. For a couple years I rode it so Archie could go while the Harley mostly sat. Then, knowing there was no going back, I sold the Ural, my Kwik Kamp trailer and a parts tractor and ordered the Liberty. History now. Riding with my third sidecar sidekick, Petey. Life is good.

Posted : October 3, 2020 9:43 am
(@jaydmc)

We also offer sidecars for your bike, more importantly, they all come with proper bike specific NOT universal mounting hardware. The America is totally different then the T-100 type Bonneville as such takes unique hardware.

The Ural might be the way for you to go however be aware of what the bike is, and more importantly is not. Lots of threads and posts about Urals all over the internet, lots of opinions on the bike.

What I usually say about Ural's is that they are "really fun toy's never to be confused with transportation" 

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

www.dmcsidecars.com

Posted : October 5, 2020 5:05 am
(@alex-mckenzie)

Have you tried to consult Google? You may want to check the Facebook marketplace as well. 

Posted : October 5, 2020 6:54 pm
(@christoph-koulen)

I have a 2018 Ural myself. Full rig, consisting of a Ural bike and the Ural sidecar. It's my 1st sidecar and for me it's great fun.

Regarding Ural reliability, which may have been questionable in the past:

Due to tightened emissions regulations (Euro-4), starting with model year 2018 they significantly upgraded the auxiliary components they're using on the bike:

• Fuel injection with lambda probe (instead of carburetor)
  • unregulated catalytic converter
  • electronic ignition by Ducati(!) 😎
  • Generator: Denso (560 Watt)
  • brakes by Brembo (front and sidecar)
  • Front fork: Marzocchi
  • Rear Shocks: Sachs
  • Steering damper: bitubo

I'm aware that my usage of barely 3000 miles so far doesn't allow any statement about reliability, but nevertheless: had no issues whatsoever.

Since you seem to be new to sidecar biking, at least newer than myself: before deciding on anything, it may be a good idea to become aware of significant differences in riding properties of different rigs, which to a degree can be predicted. See this thread for more details. For instance: your Triumph America rolls on 15" and 16" wheels and has a low seat position, which both help with keeping the center of gravity low, compared to my Ural, which rolls on 18" wheels and has a significantly higher seating position. A low center of gravity makes the rig more resilient against unintentionally "lifting the chair".

Posted : October 6, 2020 12:01 am