Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Which sidecar for Moto Guzzi 1000SP

Hello all,

I have a '79 Moto Guzzi 1000SP that I wish to set up as a dedicated sidecar rig. I have a Velorex 562, but I've read, and have been advised by a very knowledgeable source that it is too light for my application. I want a solo car with the option of putting a top on for inclement weather. I will use it primarily on secondary roads hauling my grandson around and to the grocery store. Longer trips will almost always be done solo.

I'm looking for recommendations from you folks as to which sidecar (s) would be a good match for this bike. For those not familiar with the SP, it is a 1000cc twin with triple disc brakes.

Any input will be appreciated. If you wish to contact me by email, I believe my address is in my profile.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Oriental, NC

The pre 2004 562 's had the 15mm axle and very soft suspension. The later Velorex line has a 20mm axle and redesigned suspension for use with heavier bikes.
We have put the 563 Tour models on quite a few of the Guzzi California models and others.
We have an upgraded bolt on kit for the early suspension Velorex's for heavy loading or off road work.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Attached files

Lonnie,

Thanks for the response. My Velo is a '74 and I wasn't aware there was an "upgrade" for it. Can you explain the upgraded kit please?

Thanks,

We have upgraded quite a few of the earlier velorex sidecars (562s and 700s). Question is whether it is worth it or is it better to go with another sidecar. Correct me if I am wrongv but wasn't a '74 model still a 560? We just did a 560 /Triumph T140 setup for Doug who works in th eshop here. We fabricated a different frame for the sidecar with different mounts etc.. The 560 suspension setup was rtetained though. Actually the 560 suspension setup is better in many ways than th elater model offereings up to the recent models.

"Question is whether it is worth it or is it better to go with another sidecar. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't a '74 model still a 560? Claude"

Claude,

That is my question as well. Since I plan to haul my young grandson around in it almost daily, safety is of the utmost importance to me and since the Velo was designed for a 350 Jawa or so, I thought perhaps something heftier would be better?

I know they made the 560 into '74, but mine definitely has the 562 body style, and has a sticker on the frame that says 562 and '74. It's hard to read, but it seems like that is what it says. The 560 looks a lot cooler, IMO. 🙂

That's right claude. If the year model Maquette stated is correct, he has a 560 Jawa/Velorex not a 562. Still with a 15mm axle but with an 18" wheel, a ldifferent chassis and body. Like the 562's the 560 utilized a poorly leveraged swing-arm/shock arrangement which was fine for the 300# plus Jawa's but allowed middleweight bikes to wallow in the turns. An upgraded adjustable shock will help alleviate this and the bottoming of the sidecar suspension.

Well, I've read and digested the responses from Lonnie and Claude reference upgrading the present Velo I have, but I'm still hoping for some input on other specific brands that may work well with my SP. I'm inclined to look for something different, but I'm not sure which brands would be best suited for what I want to do.

Again, thanks for the input and for any additional thoughts.

maquette - 1/25/2011 10:17 AM

Well, I've read and digested the responses from Lonnie and Claude reference upgrading the present Velo I have, but I'm still hoping for some input on other specific brands that may work well with my SP. I'm inclined to look for something different, but I'm not sure which brands would be best suited for what I want to do.

Again, thanks for the input and for any additional thoughts.

I would opt for a sidecar that has some weight to it. A Ural would actually do well or a Sputnik. Of course we can build you one if you want to go that route.

maquette WROTE:
"I know they made the 560 into '74, but mine definitely has the 562 body style, and has a sticker on the frame that says 562 and '74. It's hard to read, but it seems like that is what it says. The 560 looks a lot cooler, IMO. "

Round tube frame indicates it is not a 560. 560s had square tube frames. I wonder if 560s and 562s were both manufactured in ;74?

"Round tube frame indicates it is not a 560. 560s had square tube frames. I wonder if 560s and 562s were both manufactured in ;74?

Edited by claude #3563 1/25/2011 11:32 AM"

Claude,

Yes, it has a round tube frame, a metal fender and a 16" wheel. Assuming (dangerous), the sticker is correct, it would seem they made the 560 and 562 in '74.

This 562 will perform well with the Guzzi for your desired usage with an upgraded suspension and some ballast behind the seat.

Lonnie

Hack'n - 1/25/2011 8:29 PM

This 562 will perform well with the Guzzi for your desired usage with an upgraded suspension and some ballast behind the seat.

Lonnie

Lonnie,

Can you elaborate on the suspension upgrade for me? If you would rather not do it on the forum, please use my email in my profile. Would a car battery behind the seat be enough ballast, or would we be looking at more weight?

Thanks.

Hi Lonnie, could you please post some pics. of the mounting setup on that Guzzi? I have basically the same bike, and am interested in how the mounts are set up. thanks alot, Rick

Rick,
Mount pix are in my album Hack'ns / Hacks #14.

Lonnie

thanks Lonnie, nice setup! Rick.