Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

When did Velorex begin importing into the US?

I recently purchased a 1989 Velorex model 700 and I was wondering when did Velorex begin importing to the US, does anybody know?

USCA Member AMA Member

Good info here...scroll down ....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velorex

Thank you very much your response and for the link, I had already read the WIKI article before posting this question for it does not give dates of initial import to the States, thus the reason for my question. The article does say the "710" was introduced in 1990, so it is apparent my 700 must be a first run since the manufacture plate dates it to 1989.

Attached files

USCA Member AMA Member

The other models have been imported for a long time. My 526 is 1981 and not the oldest. They were making some for small stuff before that, even, maybe the early 70's, but I'm not sure how much was for import.

Note that I'm pretty sure the 700 series and the 562 series both had the same frame & anemic axles. If you have the 15mm, upgrade for sure. The 'beefy' 20mm still seems wimpy to me, but Florida Sidecars has the kit. I'm going with the Lonnie Cook idea of converting to a trailer wheel & hub.

I just visit the VelorexExport CZ home page it looks like the 700 has actually been in production since 1985, the Wiki article is incorrect on introduction of 1990. I am planning to restore the car and the upgrade of the axle you mention Jeff is one of the things I am considering. I picked up the car to put on my Harley FLD Switchback, but now I am thinking of getting a more appropriate size bike for this car. I am overwhelmed of the ins and outs of sidecars, but hopefully I get this all figured out.

Attached files

USCA Member AMA Member