Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Wheel Mod for Car Tire

I completely chewed up a MC tire in the 1700 mile ride home. I've discovered a few things about adapting a car tire [CT] to the 15" 80's Goldwing wheel. Apparently it needs to be turned to reduce the bead lip diameter so the 15" CT will fit without damaging the tire when mounting. A few posts on other forums talk about thenightmare of mounting and demounting the tire if the modification isn't done.

Does any one know where there is a shop that will do the mod? Most importantly, do it correctly?

Then there is the matter of someone to mount the tire. Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Edit: 1700 miles, not 170 miles.

2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C

If you have a way to mount the wheel on something that will allow it to spin, you can hold a portable disc sander to it as it rotates.
I would start with 36 grit disc to take most of the lip off, then change to 100 grit and finish with a disc that is like a scouring pad to buff it smooth.
I wouldn't actually try to reduce the diameter of the wheel at all. Just remove the damn ridge that prevents the bead from taking a seat.
Use a good tire lube when mounting it. If you have none, Use KY jelly. DO NOT USE GREATER THAN 60POUNDS TO PRESSURE SEAT THE BEAD.

If I understand correctly what you are telling me is that the ridge that holds the tire bead from slipping into the center of the wheel recess needs to be removed. I have been thinking that the outer diameter needs to be reduced by trimming the lip. Am I thinking wrong?

Also: Will the GL1500 wheel fit the GL1200 final drive? It is widely reported that the 16" setup needs no modification.
Thanks Phelonius,
Jim

Yes.

I think you can install final drive + wheel from Gl1500 on 1200.

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t4396-gl1200-goldwing-darkside

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/537505-using-car-tire-oldwing.html

I was under the impression that darksiding a 15" wheel was next to impossible, even after machining out the bead hump, because the actual diameter of a 15" motorcycle rim is larger than a 15" car wheel. But that first thread posted by VLAD has several guys saying that they were able to do it on Goldwings. Jim, if I were you, I'd join that mcdarksiders forum just to PM the guys on that thread to see if they used unmolested wheels, or had to modify them, and get any other advice. Then please report back here what you do and the success you have.

tinboatcapt - 4/24/2015 11:37 AM It is widely reported that the 16" setup needs no modification.

Correct. 16's and 17's are no problem. It's the 15's that are incompatible. Though possibly not (see above).

Please report back here what you do and the success you have.

I have 175R16 on 1500 with no problem.

Great information from everyone. Right at the moment I am leaning toward putting a bike tire on so I can ride. I don't favor modifying a wheel to 'sort of' fit a car tire. It looks like the 16" wheel requires a final drive and swing arm change.

This rig is new to me. I'm anxious to ride. Perhaps a winter project will fix up the issues.

thanks everyone,
Jim

tinboatcapt - 4/24/2015 11:23 AM

I completely chewed up a MC tire in the 1700 mile ride home.

Motorcycle Dunlop Elite 3 did work for 7k miles on GL1500/Frendship 3. May be you need to check set up of your rig.
On GS850/Velorex rear tire last 3000-4k miles. Do drive this rig harder then Goldwing.

like I said they will not go on I cut the rim last tire but it was not enough then I mounted a 165x80-15 and it went on it was a classic but mileage was no good. but when I tried to mount this general it would not go on. after I cut down wheel it went on at 60 psi but tire max is 51pis. 10 psi over isn't bad. I also sanded all the factory lath marks out with 400 wet paper an polish at ramp were it jumps over bead lock. what I did was mount the wheel on the bike put it in fist gear and use it like a lathe. just cutting the bead lock will not work it still wont go on you also have to cut the rim it self. I think it was 0.112 that had to come off which is not much but you have no way to measure so it is trial and error {I use a wood lathe so I am familiar with how to use lathe tools} so I am not saying to do this I am just saying it works.

I believe KOSMAN RACING out in CA can do the trick. They have been doing similar stuff for drag racers for years. One of my friends sent out a rim several years ago with good result. Give'm a call and ask.

http://kosmanspecialties.com/

Kosmann is now closed

To solve the bald tire issue I simply mounted a Shinko (Cheap, or is that inexpensive?) tire. I am confident that this tire will last the season. I have the ST1100 for a few rally's, with that group that I would like to attend.
It would be a nice, easy fix if I could have a car rim laced to a Gold Wing hub. However, I can't recall any Gold Wings having spoke wheels, all were tubeless.
I clearly had alignment issues.

I dialed out some of the lean-out when attaching the tub. The ride yesterday seemed to show more even contact patch pattern on the rear tire without altering the handling. This was measured by the very scientific method off riding on some gravel road then pavement. The resulting 'clean' part of the tire was symmetrical.
jim

Attached files

If what we're looking at in that picture is the rear tire from the rear after 1700 miles of use, then yes that seems like a LOT of lean out.

Your scientific method for gauging tire wear "on the fly" is tried and true. Wink However, Shinko's are notorious for fast wear on heavy bikes.

I know Shinko's. I've used them on my K100's. I just wanted to get on the road figuring I would eat up a tire trying to get the rig aligned and sorted.
Thanks,
jim

ck out the Kosmann Racing Web site, it has another company called out that is doing the machining work.

Anyone running a CT on a 2012 Indian Chief? Wheels are 16X3.5" and the rear tire is a 150/80 R16. looking for some options here as I'm having the Chief hacked with a hannigan indian heritage sidecar.

I use Dunlop E3's on my 1082 Goldwing /Watsonian Monaco. Get 10-12000 miles consistently. Used Dunlops the last 30 years and always get good mileage. Doug