Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

What is your ideal hack?

Approaching the new year, good time to make a wish list of the attributes of an ideal Alaskan bound hack: my rig would..
1). be comfortable for 6-800 mile days
2). carry enough fuel for a 300 mile range
3). be sturdy enough to withstand 100 miles of gravel washboard
4). have room to carry camping gear, tools, spare parts, food, water, rain gear, cold weather gear, hot weather gear
5). cruise at 60-70 mph when needed, and chug along at 25-30 on sloppy muddy roads
6). double sided rear swing arm
7). have heated grips
8). other than oil and tires, be maintenance free........ I can wish!
Okay, what would your ideal hack be? What would be its purpose and what attributes would it have???
The sky is the limit.......

Not 1 hack will be doing all this. You can get Goldwing or BMW for 1;2;4;1/2 of 5;6;7 and tow klr 650 for 2;2nd half of 5 Man can dream about 3 and 8 but most likely it newer happen. Good luck.

My BMW rig, (for sale) while it does not have a double sided swing arm I see no reason to want one. What it does have are all three wheels interchangeable and carries a spare, Heated seat to keep the passenger happy and even has front and rear WARN winches. I have had it fully loaded on a for travel and camping with my wife last March we did 3700 miles in 11 days of travel with speeds to 90MPH both on pavement and off.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Attached files

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

What a timely thread. I have been struggling with this question since I pulled the trigger and bought my '86 GL1200 / California rig. Being new to the sport I picked up this rig because I thought I would tour with it. I found it to be comfortable for me, and capacious for cargo. But, I have grown tired of the complexity of removing and replacing the accessories on this bike. I found it more convenient around town.

That has brought me back to basics and the wish to finding a simple sidecar for my CB650 to use around town, and continue to use my ST1100 for touring. I really like the sport tour bike for the open country and the mountains. I can't resist dragging pegs in the twisties, and the 300+ miles per tank is easy to like.

So, to answer the original question: "What is your ideal sidecar rig" I would have to say: a midsize bike with a simple sidecar with a cover. The cover could be as simple as a tonneau.

For that trip to Alaska? I'll take my F250.

jim

2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C

The best rig to dream of?
After dreaming for years to roll up and down 2 very challenging and twisty fun roads with "that" dream bike which later became practically true and available to the public with a Buell and being disappointed with each new bike I got or tested and then when in the end I got a substitute for a Norton Commando (one of the worst bikes I ever owned) and passing through those roads with the substitute Kawa W800 I had an eye opening revelation...

A simple "learners/driving school" bike as the W800 of which, I not even thought of any sport performance, is THAT bike that performs better then any other I test rode before.
When I came through those 2 "dream roads" I had to turn back and forth for to repeat several times with a great SMILE from ear to ear.... I arrived at home several hours too late that day.

So I guess it is not needed to go big or strong, just a good torque/power to weight relationship and solid framework in a nice handy package made to the personal taste is all that is needed.
Once you feel comfortable with what you have and can afford and maintain yourself, someone should stop dreaming and searching, and start to just enjoy and fine tune.

I can imagine to hook a light sidecar to that W800 in an eye blink.
Meanwhile I hope my dear son will lend me my Ural Patrol Sophie Travelair sometimes...just in this moment the garage gate opened and he entered with Sophie.

Merry Christmas to all and enjoy what you have.
Life is too short for to drink bad wine or spill it with unreachable dreams.

Best regards from costarrican summer Christmas.
Sven

I really liked my 1973 Norton 750 Combat Commmando.
Despite the paper thin transmission case that I had to replace, the Amal carbs that dropped their float bowls, floats and needle valves causing an occasional gas wet leg and the very fallable Lucas electrics.
I could loft the front wheel in any gear, win many drag races and thanks to the narrowness and short bars, lay it down in an emergency turn (avoiding a headon collision) till the center stand broke off and still maintain control of the bike.
However with my unending quest for customizing my rolling stock, I ruined the handling of it.

Attached files

Norton Chopper.tif (1.8 MB) 

The best tone is still the Nortone!

If there was one thing that fascinated me that was the engine...first gear 95kmh 60mph ....fourth gear at idle = walking speed....just pull the throttle.popp popp popp and you are at speed again.
I shipped the engine home to Germany for to wrench it into a sidecar rig...it never came to it due to my emigration.

Now the W800 is the most civilized copy imaginable and though the power and sound are missing you can relax and enjoy that "electric motor feeling"

Lonnie have a nice Christmas and pass well to the next year.
Keep on riding and

Have a good one.
Best film for a long time I watched.
Keep it with Joe Cool.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d2/37/fd/d237fd2291758bc75d48c29ab803996a.jpg
Feel the breeze.
Sven

You say "Electric smooth". Nothing I have ever ridden has been as smooth as the Honda V4 ST1100 (ST1300) platform. Smooth, linear, and dependable as taxes. But again, just too much plastic to hang a sidecar on it and maintain it easily. And, it's just too much fun as a bike to hack. I have thought about the Honda CB1100 retro bike as a tug. It is a pretty straight forward motorcycle. I could see it with a sidecar if it weren't more tug than I would need for around town riding.
jim

I did keep the megaphones though. Great sound.

tinboatcapt - 12/26/2015 11:50 AM You say "Electric smooth". Nothing I have ever ridden has been as smooth as the Honda V4 ST1100 (ST1300) platform. Smooth, linear, and dependable as taxes. But again, just too much plastic to hang a sidecar on it and maintain it easily. And, it's just too much fun as a bike to hack. I have thought about the Honda CB1100 retro bike as a tug. It is a pretty straight forward motorcycle. I could see it with a sidecar if it weren't more tug than I would need for around town riding. jim

Maintenance on the ST1100 is pretty difficult with all that plastic, even without the sidecar but it makes such a beautiful, smooth and good handling sidecar outfit too! The added capacity is also very welcome on long trips.

Sidewise, You do have a beautiful rig. and truthfully, in 90K miles I have had to do no more than gas tires and oil on the ST. Yours looks great inn black.

Attached files

CCjon - 12/24/2015 5:03 AM

Approaching the new year, good time to make a wish list of the attributes of an ideal Alaskan bound hack: my rig would..
   4). have room to carry camping gear, tools, spare parts, food, water, rain gear, cold weather gear, hot weather gear
   5). cruise at 60-70 mph when needed, and chug along at 25-30 on sloppy muddy roads
   7). have heated grips

Okay, what would your ideal hack be? What would be its purpose and what attributes would it have???

Well, I reckon, a Chevy Suburban would do best for you 🙂

Or, if you really want the toughest rig ever watch this side: http://www.hu-sidecars.de/s/fotos/fotogalerie.html
This guy makes rigs that withstand the EL Chott Sahara Rallies. Lots of space to pack things on, frames that are made to live forever, long travel shocks, car tires, disc brakes all around, everything custom built to the buyer´s demand.
I guess a 2nd hand Suburban would be less expensive, but Horst´s rigs are unequaled...

Claus - 12/31/2015 10:43 PM

CCjon - 12/24/2015 5:03 AM

7). have heated grips

Well, I reckon, a Chevy Suburban would do best for you 🙂

Or, if you really want the toughest rig ever watch this side: http://www.hu-sidecars.de/s/fotos/fotogalerie.html
This guy makes rigs that withstand the EL Chott Sahara Rallies. Lots of space to pack things on, frames that are made to live forever, long travel shocks, car tires, disc brakes all around, everything custom built to the buyer´s demand.
I guess a 2nd hand Suburban would be less expensive, but Horst´s rigs are unequaled...

Claus,Claus, hey Claus can ya hear me? HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND FAMILY,now go tell Horst to make a road rig for a evo Harley and maybe we can talk 😉 🙂

@moonlite: Happy New Year for you and your family,too!
You could write him an email, if you are interested in his work. I know that he has built rigs for U.S. customers before and he built his fabulous frames around any engine from 500cc Honda to Suzuki Hayabusa. I reckon he could do it with a EVO Harley as well, if you ask him. Meanwhile he has set up his own business with sidecar shockabsorbers. This is why I am in contact with him now and then because he knows what he´s doing and has reasonable prices.
As far as I know he stopped building for the German market because of the registration law here gets more and more restrictive and since January 1st 2016 you have to meet Euro 4 emission standard with every built (so no engine older than the frame) and every new motorcycle must have ABS. As a small company one cannot cope with the financial hurdle. For export it´s a big difference. So just ask...

Cheers, Claus