Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

what got you started with sidecars

Page 1 of 4Next

i started reading old motorcycle mags as a kid.i loved the pictures of the old flathead Indians and Harleys. my first bike was a rat 1942 harley wla.so i kinda got involved with the old bike crowd.i love the look of the harley and indian sidecar.the atom bomb gouldings also.then several bikes later i found a deal on a truckload of sidecars.buying these turned into a nightmare.its a funny story now but it lead to financial ruin ,divorce ,plauge ect.the result was the clothes on my back and a harley.later i bought an old old shovelhead dresser and my plans were to put a sidecar on it.but i sold it and my victory and bought an 88 flht with a sidecar .and that what i have now.

Seventy-seven year old legs and a desire to be different! Lots of fun! Looking for others in Seattle.

I got my first one because it happened to be attached to a bike I bought, (1965 FLH). I was too cool for a sidecar, so it got disconnected and went to the landfill. Then when I was 25 and my wife whined that she didn't like leaving the baby to go riding, I had a brainstorm. Sidecar!

Since a knee replacenent last year, I've had a number of riders ask when I'll get rid the sidecar. I tell them, "When I get rid of the bike. Not before.

sidecars are fun!i miss the old police bikes with the sidecars i had.waiting for the warm weather to start riding[seems like its been snowing everyday since the bike was shipped to me]

Hanging out too much with Claude Stanley ruined, ah, changed my mind.... Actually, I've seen the light; they're just too much fun! Thanks Claude.

My wife (also my best buddy) quit riding her own bike a made a crappy pillion passenger. Hmmmm ...what options do I have? Then a Craigslist Ad brought home an old BMW w/sidecar very cheaply. I rigged it to my functional BMW and my wife loved it. Three years and over 20k miles later we are happy. I built a bigger tug from the frame up from my personal BMW salvage stash. Nothing like building something from nothing...I know it very well. Don't think I'd build another one, a lot of work and details.
We've done a lot of touring / camping around the West. I will never again be without a sidecar rig!

As poor student my last car an Austin Mini lost its right front wheel...Bingo: The idea!. The East German was sold for 4300,-Mark brand new. On 13.12.1986 I picked it up in Kiel. On 140km home I went 3 times straight into the pasture. next day whacked of a road side plock and on 25.december hit for Norway....I never regret all the foolish stuff I did with it and the new rig neither.
Sven

i used to ride a lot till i started have problems with my leg.then a couple of hand surgeries and i was on my way to becoming an ex=motorcyclist.so now i am happy because i am going to ride again.i didnt want a trike.i lalways had fun with my sidecars so i am very happy i found the bike with the sidecar for the right price.

Always interested but never made the move. Had my WA license endorsed for a 3 wheeler when they first passed the law and had a 6 month window to add it just by paying for the additional endorsement. Then wife decided she wanted to go to a FSSNOC lunch in MT with me and riding pillion wasn't in the cards. In an effort to have a rig I contacted the owner of the rig I had been parked next to at the seattle Int'l M/C show display,a Savage with Cozy rocket car. Called the owner and he was interested in selling as he had a new BMW project. Hooked the trailer on the truck and drove to Seattle. Drove it around the block and on the trailer. On closer inspection I didn't feel it was road ready so we used the the HD rig my brother keeps at our house. HD road king with a CA car, actually it is his wife's rig. We were hooked . Took some time but I felt it was finally ready for the road. Had leaks in both side covers, not a usual Savage problem so dropped the car and fixed the leaks and a couple other items while they were separate. When I went to reconnect the lower front stay broke off in my hand as I positioned it. Back on the trailer and off to Jay at Dauntless Motors for a sub-frame and proper mounting. A month later I drove back over to get it and tried it out. Much better. Took it back to Moses Lake, WA were we live summers and continued the fine tuning process. Brought it to AZ that winter as we had lots of room in the trailer. Had to leave it the next year as we didn't have a trailer to take it back. It went back earlier with relatives. Really missed it last summer and it will go back this spring. I've been recovering from 6 abdominal surgeries and colon cancer chemo since 05 and it has taken time to get my strength back. I was able to ride my other Savage but with some trepidation. It should be road ready again next week after the oops last Thursday. parts are on order and some of the cosmetic stuff I've done already. It will be the last one I get rid of. Had purchased a Velorex 700 here for the other bike but never got around to mounting it and finally sold it, had sellers remorse the minute it was cleaned up for the buyer to pickup, but he drove up from CA to get it and I couldn't back out. He put it on Burgman 400 and pics are on the picture page. It isn't for everyone but we sure enjoy it and having my brother and family with theirs here for a couple months this winter has made it even better yet.

Double knee replacement combined with being a 72yr old fart??
wanted to keep riding or should that be "driving" to be correct!! enjoying rig more than I thought I would after solo riding so long plus having bike and sidecar gives me more stuff to work on???
Mike .........

Attached files

It was the dogs. My wife and I have been riding on two wheels for many years, and with retirement coming soon, we want to do some extended trips. For a while we considered using a motorhome to trailer the bikes to locations where we would stay for a few days or weeks, and exploring the area on the bikes. (She rides her own). Even that way, it would be hard to leave the dogs in a motorhome for more than a few hours. Then we met some people traveling with their dog in a sidecar. Perfect solution!

We put a sidecar on the wife's bike, and the dogs took to it like they were born to ride in it. After trying out her rig, I have decided to add a sidecar to my bike too. I pull an Aspen camping trailer with my bike, and it can get a little hairy at times. I think, with a sidecar, it will be much more stable.

Besides, at 63, with a little arthritis, a steel plate and a bunch of screws in one leg, holding up a 900# bike isn't as easy as it used to be.

Brian. Even with two bad knees that are to be replaced soon. He is the reason, and it has been nothing but miles and smiles after that. Now when I look at a new bike I imagine it with a hack, lol. Brian has lived with the wife and I for now a little over 5 years, and I worked with him in the state system for 6 years before that. Being that he is wheelchair bound, well, it was the only way beside numerous rolls of duct tape for Brian to enjoy the feeling on 2 wheels, three wheels……….lol. And to be honest I wish I had done it earlier, for I know I would have enjoyed it as much as I do now. Next month thanks to this forum, it will be one years, with a little over 11,000 in that first years, Brian has logged over 4500 miles in the hack himself, and he does love it. Found my rig on this site, and with the numerous member with a wealth of knowledge, I have logged the miles, learned a thing or two, and have seen some great looking rigs, sorry a little winded need that first cup of coffee.

Our paths may be crossed, but we ride the same trails together.

turtleman

The catalyst for our first sidecar was a rescued puppy, when I thought: "Hmm...I could train the dog to ride in a sidecar." My wife thought I was goofy. Little did I know that she would soon want her own rig, and now has another dog trained to ride.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

i have been interested in a sidecar for a long time.
checking them out and reading all i could find about driving them.
a old back injury has got to the point of three wheels or not riding, that wasnt going to happen so i findly added a sidecar and the more i use it the more i like it.

I've always loved the look of sidecars, and you don't see to many in my neck of the woods, ( i'm another one that likes to be a little different ) but when i got my dog she seemed to love my motorcycles, every time we got ready to go for a ride, she would be jumping up on the bike like she wanted to go ( she definitely wasn't afraid of the sound or anything ), so we kinda joked around "hmmmm i wonder if she would ride in a sidecar", so i half heartily started looking at e-bay, craigslist etc...
we found the rig that we thought went good with the bike, it took me a few weeks to get some mounts made up, but as soon as i put the dog in the sidecar, we were both hooked !
everyone asks how long did it take to train her, and i say about 5 seconds, i hooked her in, and we were off, the wife doesn't always want to go on rides, but the dog will ALWAYS go, and actually gets mad when i go without her

Doug wrote:
Hanging out too much with Claude Stanley ruined, ah, changed my mind.... Actually, I've seen the light; they're just too much fun! Thanks Claude.
-----
I rode with patina before it was cool!

1973 Triumph Bonneville w/ '74 Velorex 560
1983 Suzuki GS850
AMA #1075627
CMA #35059
USCA #7884
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Humph....I bet when Kim finds out you rode with Patina she won't think it's cool.

i had a chow many years ago that loved riding in a sidecar.the 130 lb rottie i got now cant climb and lifting him is out of the question.but i bought him an old station wagon that he can go places.

My interest started in the mid '80s when I was following a stranger on /5 BMW rig and we both turned right onto El Camino Real. The guy flew the chair through 3rd gear with a nice smooth set down. I was impressed and wanted to chat with him, but I got caught at a stop light and never saw him again. Fast forward to 1993 and I'm living and working in Egypt where I was supporting an airborne electronic warfare system for the Egyptian Ministry of Defense. Our base was way out in the desert with the ground-based elements of the system scattered over several square miles. They had several 1970's vintage Ural Military sidecar rigs that weren't running. After I helped get several of them running, they gave me one to haul my test equipment around in. When I got back to California, I bought a Goldwing/EML and started construction of my current BMW/Ural rig. Once I got the BMW rig sorted out and handling as good as or better than the EML, I sold the GW/EML rig to a guy from Palm Desert. Over the last fifteen years, I've had three sidecar dogs and racked up 90k miles on the rig.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sidecardog/BloggerPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCPreupv5293EHg&feat=directlink

Way back in the sixties enduro competition was popular.
There was a sidecar class that was awesome to watch as those guys piloted their off road rigs through bogs and up and down forbidding hills occasionally getting big air.
Naturally my first was an off road machine.
I still have an offroad capable one as well as a road machine for more formal occasions.

Phelonius

Well, I'm new to this forum and my next sidecar will be my first. I just plain old want to ride all year and I live in a shall we say "snow inevitable" area. So, I figured a sidecar will allow that. Plus weekly gas for the car $45., the bike $10.

Page 1 of 4Next