Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

What Did You Do With Your Sidecar Today?

PreviousPage 7 of 30Next

Going over to see Fly and Mrs. Fly. Talk about trip down to view Hal Kendals plaque.
J.R.
Sec.
Tex. Rep/

Joined by Jena & Hugh, I gave Floyd his first hack ride today, stopping first at the old mercantile store in Keatchie:

Where we also stopped to reflect at the cemetery where over 100 men are buried, casualties from a field hospital from the Battle of Mansfield in 1864:

The identities of most of the young men are unknown, and it is sad knowing that most of their families never knew their fate:

After breakfast in Grand Cane, we stopped by the old general store in Gloster before returning home.

These communities are shells of what were active rural towns prior to the 1930's.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Got my brakes bleed this morning and all the lights working and took the outfit for a short ride today to attend a service for one of my long time sailing friends who passed away. Worked with Mr. Dawg and he will now jump in and out of sidecar without a problem. I figured a few more rides and he will be totally cool with everything. Only thing left is to put a tie down on the bottom of the car and get him a body harness.

I need to change my riding habits as at the service today I got off and forgot to turn off the switch and ran down the battery, so had to catch a ride back to the house and got a set of jumper cables and the pickup and went back and had to jump it. Had Mr Dawg with me and we rode down to the doggie park for a while and then drove home.

Attached files

Judy and I took our usual Sunday morning breakfast and rideabout run. Getting used to the new WideGlide/Spalding rig now. I do miss the radio on the "Badlands Express II" though.

Lonnie

Attached files

I must admit that's one of the most beautiful rigs I've seen. Glad to hear you're up for your morning ride. Still enjoying the Triumph/Velorex you rigged for me. I'm sure I'll be smiling for a long, long time. Thanks

Harold and I took our wives for a ride. It started out to be a ride up the most interesting part of Iron Mountain Road in the Black Hills. At lunch Harold suggested we do the Needles Hiway. We had time so we did that too. We had a beautiful day to ride and most of the Sturgis traffic had gone home. We had done all of the Needles hiway and were headed ice cream in Keystone (just down the hill from Mt. Rushmore) when were witness to a sport bike crash in front of us. We were in a 15 mph S-curve when 4 sport bikes came around the second part of the S and 3 of them made it. The second one went down in front of me. I was able to avoid the spinning bike as it spun off the road in front of my front tire. Last I saw the rider they were rolling across the road in front of me. When I got stopped and parked I was fishing in my pocket for my cell phone to call 911. When I got to the rider SHE was up and standing by her Buell looking a little shaken but with only bumps and scrapes - a testament to her riding gear. The right handle bar was badly bent. Harold and I pooled our sidecar tool kits to see if we could get her back on the road - enough - at least - that she could ride home to Rapid City. Doris (Harold's wife) and Joan (my wife) took care of first aid duties on the young lady. There is much more to the story but that is for another day. Needless to say - we used up our ice cream eating time. OH WELL!!

Friday's Witches Ride took us to Punxsutawney, PA to visit Phil. There are about 30 different fiberglass statues around town, all done by different folks. Went to Gobbler's Knob, which is what you see on TV. Only one other motorcyclist there. He took this picture, then had us take one of us together, to show his wife the lady motorcyclists he met. Another great day!

Attached files

Rode across East Portland on I 205 (whoopie!) to my dermatologist's office. Took a kinder, gentler route home. All together, 36 miles. My guy's retiring so even though I love the ride (yes, even the Interstate portion) I'm looking for a new doc nearer home.

Tomorrow (Wed) is the day Fly,Mrs. Fly,Avanell and I go to AMA museum to see Hal's plaque. Will try to get pictures, Plan on getting there around noon if anyone else can make it.
J.R.
Sec.
Tx. rep

Avanell & I stopped in Murray Ky. Had one of Hannigan's tech's tweek one of my sidecar struts. Super nice folks. Got a new Indian trike and a new Indian sidecar. Both beautiful rigs. Wish I could have gotten some pictures.
J.R.
Sec.
Tex rep.

Got the triple trees put on! Yeah! Now for more practice because it feels completely different than the last 1200 miles I put on it............

I took my 2 grandsons for an ice cream run. Our favorite ice cream place was 15 miles but it took 20- 25 mile to find our way home. Sheridan Lake Road to 385 to Dairy Twist. From there it was Pink Cabin Road to Old Hill City Road through Keystone to Rockerville Road to 16 and home. I put the older one to sleep. It is hard work eating ice cream.

I drained the tank on my tug of ethanol based gas and refilled it with non ethanol 90 octane gas. There is a station 20 miles from me that carries non ethanol at $4.40 a gallon. Worth it to not have
any more carb problems. Put it in my Buddy 170i and my Coolster(the Chinese come up with odd names for their stuff) ATV. Weather is going to be dry for the next few days and I can get some riding done.

After waiting with baited breath for three days after the ship came in, received the container, Customs showed up, so I could unloaded the rig, almost without shipping damage (I need to refasten the left front turn signal).

Customs was interested in the whole affair, being the first sidecar rig on island. I had cleared it at the sales value of the motorcycle, and they didn't think to ask if the sidecar was extra. Somewhat of a grey area, which I didn't point out, and they weren't sophisticated enough to ask.

Unfortunately, it was raining, and the entire week's forecast is for rain, so it'll stay parked in the garage for the work week, and hopefully it might clear for my day off so we can go out for a putt.

You will get a lot of stares and a lot of questions.
All things considered, for your island and its' high speed thorofares, I would have chosen a Modern Rokon Trailbreaker with sidecar.
Or a dual purpose bike with Ural sidecar. Like this one in Kohala Hawaii.

Phelonius - 8/19/2014 6:17 PM

You will get a lot of stares and a lot of questions.
All things considered, for your island and its' high speed thorofares, I would have chosen a Modern Rokon Trailbreaker with sidecar.
Or a dual purpose bike with Ural sidecar. Like this one in Kohala Hawaii.

I want to ride with my family. Physics argue against wife on pillion, kid in tub; safety argues against kid on pillion (he tends to fall asleep on rides), wife in tub.

If I find myself with some spare shekels laying around, I might just buy an older Ural and build my own fore-and-aft tub.

Look around, I have seen such tubs before.

Phelonius - 8/20/2014 8:54 AM

Look around, I have seen such tubs before.

More fun to build it myself. I've built two glass fibre boats, one alloy one, and reframed/replanked a wooden fourth, can't be any harder.

Besides, what could possibly go wrong? 🙂 🙂 🙂

Michael,
you are done? Or still need to pass registration...bla, bla...?
Having her home is pretty nerve calming.
luck
Sven

Michael,
you are done? Or still need to pass registration...bla, bla...?
Having her home is pretty nerve calming.
luck
Sven

PreviousPage 7 of 30Next