USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What Did You Do With Your Sidecar Today?

The obvious answers are: Park one rig outside, or pull the "Old switcheroo" with Mum.

Somebody will whack the rig sooner or later otherwise.

Lonnie

Nothing sits out if I can help it. We live in HAIL ALLEY. Yes we will pull the switheroo (trading sides of the bed) If the rig gets wacked it will be me that does it. There is a 2 wheeler in storage yet to come . Already! If I need any thing out of the garage something will need to be moved.

Rode from Nashville, TN, to Springfield, IL, for the flat races. Part Interstate and part backroads - great trip!

Attended the Springfield Mile yesterday and rode from Springfield to Nashville, TN, today.

Believe it or not, NO RAIN! With all the foul weather around, I never had to get out my rain gear - seemed like it had rained everywhere I rode, but it was never raining while I was riding.

Great racing, and great trip! 🙂

Had to redo/finish the installation: the 3/8 stock bolts/mounting were too flimsy for my taste... So tired I have not even tried it!! Still have to bleed the sc brake, play with ekectricity and change the torsion bars...

Agreed about the 3/8 bolts. Can you fit high grade 1/2 or 5/8? I'm impressed with the VMax as power source. I haven't changed my avatar but I now have the sidecar attached to my '99 Valkyrie. I must take a proper photo very soon.

Motorvation makes some pretty sturdy frame clamp ass'ys.

I see you used them for your installation.

Lonnie

Rode to work, as almost always. This time I took a motorcycle short cut (long way around).

nole82 - 5/25/2015 3:53 PM

Agreed about the 3/8 bolts. Can you fit high grade 1/2 or 5/8? I'm impressed with the VMax as power source. I haven't changed my avatar but I now have the sidecar attached to my '99 Valkyrie. I must take a proper photo very soon.

Yes I went for 1/2 bolts with Claude's Clevis (3/4)...
I had this bolts on when I bought the sidecar (on this list) (and I did not like them!!!):

I did not like either the clevis(ses?) it came with (compared to the Claude's one):

But after my own "deliberation" I did not even used Clevis(ses?) but flat eye nut as, again, per Claude recommendation!
Now I could open a shop of not used/discarded sidecar fixations....

I like the Motorvation clamps with one reserve: it is easy to tight the perpendicular bolt (around the frame tube) but the one holding the eyelid is a crapshoot on the tightening: it has to be tight enough but at the same time it has to be align with the sidecar ones...

IMHO such set is always the best. 16mm (imperial 5/8"). Clevis that clamps the heim joint from both sides. And bolts with non threaded part. From my last work (mounts for Ural SC and Intruder)

mounts

And if you use eyebolts, let them support by the head, like a normal screw:

mounts

Instead of being held in a half of thread's length:

mounts By the way such "velorex style" mounts are the very last choice for me. They're always a compromise between a right (or too high) clamping force and the eyenut's angle. If you screw turn the eyebolt too much and want to correct the angle by turnint it a little conterclckwise, you get loose clamp. I'd rather talk an hour to bike's owner, proposing any other better mount, than use this.

One-side jount (eyebolt to eyebolt) will always tend to bend the screw slightly. And always can change the overall setting slightly. Even if they are made from half-rod. I used them, but: only in my own bike, I was constructor, this was an experiment and I observed them continuously. But if you make "mount and go" rig, don't use it. The clevis+eyebolt set bolted with M10 - bolt will not bend, while in the same place, two eyebolts bolted with M12, will bend the bolt and obvoiusly will slide slightly. Tested few times. Yes, I dit tests, then change type of one mount and tested it again with the same setup. Just for practical knowledge.

Next week I start another hack! 😀 Velorex tube, frame made from scratch, to place the tube higher than normal. Guy plans to mount some small trunk below the tube and also wants a pilot's head to be higher than his butts 🙂 Bike is a small criuser-style machine, we will also tune the engine. Three-spoke wheels, everything black.