USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What Did You Do With Your Sidecar Today?

Nole, very important what Lonnie says...stay far away from the electrics too...I had to rewire my whole first bike...and when doing so there was not any wrong cabled nor damaged wire. alll had happened due to crawling currents. When I opened the cable tree. the water was just poring out.

Musicians like my brother... excuses... He didn't even come to my 25 th marriage anniversery.

No if you are in a steep and dangerous area as where I live, then better stay on the safe side...in the shack....but the cars are in deed more dangerous then the rigs.
I live in Costa Rica due to a car accident where I landed with a totaled car 6 m down of the highway. (the day before I gave my todays wife the first kiss, which turned out to be like a electric shock)
With a rig, I never would have had that trouble and would have been able to evade the truck easily (plus would have been able to jump off). While with a solo bike I possibly would have become part of the statistics....

So once the tracking is adjusted (use the rulers 4" high with distance to the leveled ground) take it calm and get used to it with the new setup.
Enjoy.
Sven

I will certainly need to re-measure everything after a few more trials just to be sure. I measured using the suggestions in some of the writings. I like the idea of adjusting a bit higher off the ground.
Its not too steep here but as I mentioned, roads are in post winter ragged condition so driving on the smaller secondary roads in particular can be interesting if not hazardous. At my stage in life I'm imagining that jumping off would not be advisable. I still do have to protect my nimble fingers (sorry about your musician brother, I would never miss such an event and didn't miss my niece's wedding last year even shortly after having cardiac surgery). Incidentally, pressure washing bearings or, near essential electrics is never a good idea.

That little electric pressure washer is a good one for washing vehicles Lonnie. But still one certainly needs to use some common sense. It only puts out half the pressure of the gas powered one.

Tom Wells aka Reardan Tom

Nole82, you will like the sidecar on the '99 Valkyrie. We put our Motorvation Formula II LTD on a'98 Valkyrie 3 years and 32,000 miles ago. Gas mileage sucks, but it really goes. See you in SD in June.

Tire change day... 13.500km on one set. the front tire is still good for reserve, but the s/c and back tire were shot. Added a second spare tire with knobby thread for "those" trips...
A few days ago I got a simple valve pulling tool and am amazed how much it eases the tire installation. I always felt like bending and squeezing the fingers, now just pull it through the hole, a little soapy water and plopp done.
Sven

I'll post a photo today. I'm happy with the way it rides. I'm sure that there is room for adjustment.

Attached files

Good for you. I've watched Gary at Motorvation Engineering install the sidecar on our bikes three times, but I've never tried to do it myself. I know if I screw it up it will eat tires and be hard to steer. I thought I was getting poor tire mileage until I went back to my records and found I was getting more than 10,000 miles on my rear bike tire. I once wore out the sidecar tire when a weld broke under the sidecar causing the tire to be out of alignment. I think the weld broke when I was riding one night in a thunderstorm and hit a tree limb that had blown out onto the road. It launched the bike and sidecar into the air and I came out of the seat, but managed to regain control and continue on home.

I switched to a rear car tire while in the process of installing the car. I read some reviews, then chose one that I thought would fit under the massive fender. I guessed right. Never will I put one on my two wheel bike but it made sense to me since rigs mostly ride flat. I hope to get decent mileage out of the tire. I'm used to getting about 17,000 on rear Dunlop E3 on my VTX. This one should go twice that distance, or more. That was quite a recovery after wacking a tree branch. Adding to the definition of the flying car.

Don't expect nearly as much mileage from your rear tire with a hack mounted as you have gotten with a solo bike.
Sometimes as little as half solo mileage.

Lonnie

I went for a short test ride after a gearbox rebuild. Last time out a tooth sheared off the first gear on the mainshaft the broken tooth then worked its way round the gearbox causing other damage. As the bike is now over eighty years old it took me about six months to find a replacement gear cluster, not in prime condition but an awful lot better than my old one.
I only did a few miles, now I'll check the chain adjustments again and make sure all the bolts are tight ready for a fifty mile run I've got coming up in a couple of weeks.

Sid

Attached files