Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

What Did You Do With Your Sidecar Today?

PreviousPage 14 of 30Next

Yesterday I, along with 4 two-wheel friends, rode to a "Pie Run" at the Moosehead Cafe in Crockett, Texas, organized by the Two Wheel Texans group, stopping by the Cherokee Theater along the way:

We briefly visited with several friends, including Avanell riding her newly mated combination:

and J.R., who was piloting the Shark rig:

We all admired this R26:

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

I made a stand to hold the Harley FXD upright so I can start on the sidecar mounts for the Velorex 700. I'll also need the stand to mount/dismount the sidecar in the future.

I made my sidecar stand out of the larger Harbor Freight furniture dolly. I would take a picture but it is still packed away in a storage unit . Harold

Back in the days of my long burned out youth, I had an R-26. Rode it, thrashed it, tore the rear end gears out doing wheelies, replaced the entire rear drive unit for 125 dollars, a brand new unit.

I like Avanelle's new hack. Very colorful.

We have 2-3 inches of wet snow this morning. I drove the pickup in 4-wheel drive to town this morning. I had trouble seeing where the pavement was, so sort of drove by Braille. When I'd feel the right wheels fall off onto the shoulder I knew where I was. I don't think Phelonius has to deal with that weather.

39 degrees and drizzling, not the typical Houston New Year's Day weather. BMW club holds an annual New Years Day luncheon, so rode over then took the long way back home. 128 miles in all. Warmed up to 43 degrees.

Good news, waterproof gear, still is.

Happy New Year, y'all

Here we do not have your temps neither:
New years barbecue at my mother in laws farm...some 50 brothers in law, nephews with their kids and babies---somebody was kidding me it would be time to get grandchidren of our own...Hope our kids take their time. Nice to have 4 generations together.

The 58 Thunderbird was a nice finding a few days ago when we bought the fire works...and as a big sign tells"No I am not for sale, don't insist!"
I guess Thomas has now enough cardbord tubes for to recicle with his home made black powder, Don't You think?
From 9th Jan to 31.12. nearly 11.000km is not much but lets add the KLR millage and the cars, I guess it was not too bad.
Just on 30th evening the best of all wives ate up her cars head gasket.... One Daihatsu Terius less on the road.
Sven :O

PS, The photos do not want to turn...kind of Linux vs Windows illness.

Attached files

Last time I wrote that I did not have any sidecar but this I do have and bought it and what i did was went on a small trip with my gf 😉

I hate to admit it but with this nasty cold snap,,,,,,, I left it at home today

USCA # 8913

Mine is sitting in the garage waiting for a warmup so I can work on a gas leak. I would rather not burn my rig to the ground so I will fix it before I ride it again.
I have gone out and taken it apart little bits at a time (until the fingers got too cold) and I am only about halfway to finding the other end of the leaky fuel line down in bowels of the fuel injection stuff.
The service guy at the BMW shop in Sturgis told me I would have to take it all apart. He was right.

There is no sidecar riding here unless you have a Ural with studded snow tires. The temperature got up to 20 degrees so I went home this noon to try to start the diesel tractor to blow snow off the lane. If it gets any deeper I won't be able to get through with the 4X4 pickup truck. I added fuel deicer yesterday, changed fuel filters, left the engine heater plugged in, and charged the batteries. It still wouldn't fire up. Maybe we'll get a January thaw.

Stormy lousy weather, but a nice afternoon yesterday (on one side of the mountain). My son Thomas got yesterday his first (unlegal) rig pushing class in the woods on gravel and bad stones and a few 1 lane asphalt roads. Always on the mountain rim from rain to sun and back...He became sour, but would not admit as every young man...and could not believe it needs such a lot of force to get through horse tracks.
We discovered places in the neighbourhood we never had been to and others that we didn't recognize at all. in the last 15 years once beautiful pastures turned into urbanisation with partially the ugliest buildings you cannot imagine.

I noticed that still our Ural needs a reduction gear box for to handle safely our mountains where it was an easy game with the Jawa. those 130kg difference in weight do matter, specially with worn road tires.
Sven

PS: A GPS is not at all accurate in Mountain range. it marked our track into the officially unknown (final mark in the map had in deed been where the track Calle Charquito starts to be marked) at nearly a km south of where we went in deed, but had to return due to wet clay and worn tire thread. When we turned back it disconnected itself and lost about 20 more km.
http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=8650040

rode Aberdeen, to check out the flooding and landslides, Olympia, Lacy and home.

After an exasperating allignment process I took my RoadKing with CLE (chassis only) for my first test-flight; What a blast! Having never driven a rig I had no idea what to expect, of course I'd read up on operation in the Hough book. I took it slow to get the feel for the steering / balance. Seems like the allignment is pretty good, doesn't pull to one side or the other. Having no suspension, I noticed it does not like bumps or potholes though. I gradually brought it up to speed. I did 60 steady easy beans. By the end of my ride I'd hit 70 for a few seconds with no issues. I took it to a school parking lot to practice turning. I flew the car no problems! I could bring it up and set it down nice and smooth, hold it up indefinitely. I was laughing my a$$ off! I ended up nearly frost-bitten on my toes as the temps were in the mid 20s but it was well worth it. Can't wait for some warmer temps, I'm hooked! It was very intuitive for me, I thought my reactions would be counter to a sidecar, having ridden only solo for 35 years but I immediately got the feel for it and responded appropriately to it's gyrations. The hardest part was remembering to leave room for the hack on the right side!! Thanks for all the help from veteran members to get my rig mounted. Cheers

Peter Pan, was that last picture taken in Australia or just printed that way?

roadglider - 1/12/2015 12:47 PM
... It was very intuitive for me, I thought my reactions would be counter to a sidecar, having ridden only solo for 35 years but I immediately got the feel for it and responded appropriately to it's gyrations. The hardest part was remembering to leave room for the hack on the right side!!....

Excellent! In addition to the space on the right side, please don't counter-steer while your muscles, and brain, learn new driving techniques. We had a new sidecarist down here in our region do just that and run off the road to the left.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

went for another hundred miler and took pictures

Attached files

Weather was sunny and warmer. Rode 204 miles to calculate what my mpg are when cruising at 70-75...... aaaarrrggggh, 22.8. Good to know I have a 260 mile range with the Gold Wing before the walking starts. Have 6.5 gallons main tank plus 5 gallons in the auxiliary tank. Also learned that it takes 18 miles at cruising speed to transfer all the gas from the aux tank to the main tank. Have a couple of iron butt rides planned, so needed this info.

Brought home a Velorex 700 to marry to my 2002 Harley FXD today. It is summer transportation for my pooch and to keep me on the road for more of the year! 🙂

Attached files

First time both pretty round dogs together in the tub. What a difference between the Jawa Velorex before and now the Ural sidecar. Compared the Ural is huge.
Our Labrador breed Negra was a good guide for our blind Golden Retriever Luke showing him where and how much to lean.
Afterwards there was a lot of slobber to clean out!
I guess the next time with a new stronger lash hook and out the gate up into the mountains will be a new experience for Luke and Negra together.
If the best of all wives doesn't want to go out there are passengers standing in a cue!
Who doesn't like soup, give him 2 plates...

Reardan Tom, wasn't that your way of thinking when Archie became your main passenger?
Best wishes to everybody.
Sven

PreviousPage 14 of 30Next