Notifications
Clear all

Well I crashed

29 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

I had the sidecar off getting ready to put bike inside for winter clean up that was really need on both sidecar and bike. few miles form house I totaled the bike with a friend following me.  LEO seems to think road conditions was a big factor. Time will tell. While I wen down hard slide all that I am ok.

Adjuster is coming out likely today. I have already made a deal on anew one and it is on the way. call into Hannigan to get in line for a new paint job the match bike.

New tug will be another RGU but the 2020 is called a Limited now just a name change. Payton loves her Dragons and chose the new colors because she said it look like a Dragon. So here it is .  All the gear all the time good idea. Coming on strong heading this way.

Posted : November 24, 2020 1:45 am
(@don)

It is good to hear you were not injured.  Well, maybe your pride was hurt.  It just goes to show that no matter how experienced you are, accidents can happen and that is when protective gear comes into play.

Posted : November 24, 2020 3:52 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Tried to post a shot of the bike but the sight just won't allow it might work this way. Helmet , gloves, armor padded jacket boots and chaps all protected me well.

https://flic.kr/p/2k93ygB

Posted : November 24, 2020 4:14 am
(@Anonymous)

Glade your okay.  If you want.  Ask adjuster if you can buy the bike.  I've found you can make alot off of fixing or parting out bikes.  just my two cents.

Dave USCA president

Posted : November 24, 2020 4:20 am
(@al-olme2)

How big is the image?  The picture size limit is 2 MB. That's posted in the picture upload section.  I'm open to raising it but I don't want to hear complaints about slow loading because larger image sizes will slow things down [even though we DO use compression software].

A.

Posted : November 24, 2020 4:21 am
(@Anonymous)

Like the others, I'm glad you're OK. Glad you had all the proper gear on. Perhaps that's the good thing about cooler weather, we're more likely to have all the gear on. But it's too bad the sidecar was off. It probably would have kept you on the road with the rubber side down....

Posted : November 24, 2020 4:39 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Quote from dave on November 24, 2020, 9:20 am

Glade your okay.  If you want.  Ask adjuster if you can buy the bike.  I've found you can make alot off of fixing or parting out bikes.  just my two cents.

Dave USCA president

I just want it gone. There is nothing on it not damaged. Before it end like that I slide over 100 feet

https://flic.kr/p/2k9433e

Posted : November 24, 2020 5:56 am
(@aceinsav)

Wow, really glad to hear your OK 

love the color of the new bike, Payton has good taste

Posted : November 24, 2020 10:28 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

She sure does.  Wife is pushing me to get the new one all finished faster. But some things take time.

Posted : November 24, 2020 11:28 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

I am not preaching. When you ride you decide what gear you wear and when.  I have for most of my life riding chosen to wear the gear. With grandchildren And others around me ,there is an example to set.

My crash was nothing to joke about. Went down at 55-60 hard and slid a good 100 feet on asphalt then gravel and ditch. The only scratch on me was a small one on my nose from glasses. Leather gloves, Boots, chaps, Armor inserts in jacket  and helmet all played a part in walking away. The marks on this helmet are not dirt That is my head head dragging the ground. I will of course keep riding. Already rode one of my other bikes.  This just reinforces our choice in this house to wear the gear.

https://flic.kr/p/2kaePDK

Posted : November 25, 2020 2:08 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)

Buy a lotto ticket, you are extremely lucky not to have suffered more injuries at that speed.  There are too many incidents of low speed crashes withe the riders suffered broken bones and worse.  Very smart to ATGATT.

Glad to see you are not quitting Sidecars. 

Jan

USCA VP

Posted : November 25, 2020 5:08 pm
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

I was at 55-60 when it when down. By the time it entered the ditch the slide had slowed it down a lot. Had a friend right behind me with his sidecar rig.  He was able to give a detailed view of how it all went down. The lord had others plans for me that day.

My last day of riding will come. It will not be today.  the sidecars are so much of a joy for Payton and others I could never let them go. I have my affairs in order and in the trust give sons and daughter the power to to take my keys and my firearms should I no longer have the the ability to to make wise choices.

Posted : November 26, 2020 1:42 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Step by step the work to start over is coming into place. Stripped off sidecar mounts from bike.  Removed my reverse and few other parts I want to keep and or insurance would not cover fully. Reinstalled stock parts. I should have a settlement by Monday or Tuesday. I think Insurance company picking what is left of the bike up on Monday. Ordered a new helmet yesterday. Slightly different than what I had they changed the models.  Been down this road before, last time the insurance part was painless. We shall see if it goes that well this time.

The people here are adults and for the most part have things figured out.  Just a reminder there is a lot to dealing with things like this no madder how well you are prepared. things like if you can having the tow company take the bike to dealer or shop you want right away. Saves everyone money and time. You may have to pay the tow upfront but insurance will take care of it.  Trusted shops will not normally try to inflate a bill by charging storage fees.  They will also work with you dealing with insurance adjuster.  Some companies adjusters are much better informed than others.

If all goes well new bike will be here by Wednesday or Thursday.  And we can move on .

Posted : November 28, 2020 2:44 am
(@bentleyssq)

Glad you lhad a Helmet on and your Okay!

Posted : November 28, 2020 2:51 am
(@2FLTC)

Well that's one way to get a new bike. Does the new one come with RDRS ? 

Posted : November 30, 2020 2:54 am
Page 1 / 2