Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Well I crashed

Page 1 of 2Next

I had the sidecar off getting ready to put bike inside for winter clean up that was really need on both sidecar and bike. few miles form house I totaled the bike with a friend following me.  LEO seems to think road conditions was a big factor. Time will tell. While I wen down hard slide all that I am ok.

Adjuster is coming out likely today. I have already made a deal on anew one and it is on the way. call into Hannigan to get in line for a new paint job the match bike.

New tug will be another RGU but the 2020 is called a Limited now just a name change. Payton loves her Dragons and chose the new colors because she said it look like a Dragon. So here it is .  All the gear all the time good idea. Coming on strong heading this way.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

It is good to hear you were not injured.  Well, maybe your pride was hurt.  It just goes to show that no matter how experienced you are, accidents can happen and that is when protective gear comes into play.

Tried to post a shot of the bike but the sight just won't allow it might work this way. Helmet , gloves, armor padded jacket boots and chaps all protected me well.

20201121_122828

Glade your okay.  If you want.  Ask adjuster if you can buy the bike.  I've found you can make alot off of fixing or parting out bikes.  just my two cents.

Dave USCA president

How big is the image?  The picture size limit is 2 MB. That's posted in the picture upload section.  I'm open to raising it but I don't want to hear complaints about slow loading because larger image sizes will slow things down [even though we DO use compression software].

A.

Like the others, I'm glad you're OK. Glad you had all the proper gear on. Perhaps that's the good thing about cooler weather, we're more likely to have all the gear on. But it's too bad the sidecar was off. It probably would have kept you on the road with the rubber side down....

Quote from dave on November 24, 2020, 9:20 am

Glade your okay.  If you want.  Ask adjuster if you can buy the bike.  I've found you can make alot off of fixing or parting out bikes.  just my two cents.

Dave USCA president

I just want it gone. There is nothing on it not damaged. Before it end like that I slide over 100 feet

20201121_133158

Wow, really glad to hear your OK 

love the color of the new bike, Payton has good taste

smitty901 has reacted to this post.
smitty901
USCA # 8913

She sure does.  Wife is pushing me to get the new one all finished faster. But some things take time.

I am not preaching. When you ride you decide what gear you wear and when.  I have for most of my life riding chosen to wear the gear. With grandchildren And others around me ,there is an example to set.

My crash was nothing to joke about. Went down at 55-60 hard and slid a good 100 feet on asphalt then gravel and ditch. The only scratch on me was a small one on my nose from glasses. Leather gloves, Boots, chaps, Armor inserts in jacket  and helmet all played a part in walking away. The marks on this helmet are not dirt That is my head head dragging the ground. I will of course keep riding. Already rode one of my other bikes.  This just reinforces our choice in this house to wear the gear.

20201122_084942

Deleted user and masegraves have reacted to this post.
Deleted usermasegraves

Buy a lotto ticket, you are extremely lucky not to have suffered more injuries at that speed.  There are too many incidents of low speed crashes withe the riders suffered broken bones and worse.  Very smart to ATGATT.

Glad to see you are not quitting Sidecars. 

Jan

USCA VP

smitty901

I was at 55-60 when it when down. By the time it entered the ditch the slide had slowed it down a lot. Had a friend right behind me with his sidecar rig.  He was able to give a detailed view of how it all went down. The lord had others plans for me that day.

My last day of riding will come. It will not be today.  the sidecars are so much of a joy for Payton and others I could never let them go. I have my affairs in order and in the trust give sons and daughter the power to to take my keys and my firearms should I no longer have the the ability to to make wise choices.

Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user

Step by step the work to start over is coming into place. Stripped off sidecar mounts from bike.  Removed my reverse and few other parts I want to keep and or insurance would not cover fully. Reinstalled stock parts. I should have a settlement by Monday or Tuesday. I think Insurance company picking what is left of the bike up on Monday. Ordered a new helmet yesterday. Slightly different than what I had they changed the models.  Been down this road before, last time the insurance part was painless. We shall see if it goes that well this time.

The people here are adults and for the most part have things figured out.  Just a reminder there is a lot to dealing with things like this no madder how well you are prepared. things like if you can having the tow company take the bike to dealer or shop you want right away. Saves everyone money and time. You may have to pay the tow upfront but insurance will take care of it.  Trusted shops will not normally try to inflate a bill by charging storage fees.  They will also work with you dealing with insurance adjuster.  Some companies adjusters are much better informed than others.

If all goes well new bike will be here by Wednesday or Thursday.  And we can move on .

Glad you lhad a Helmet on and your Okay!

smitty901

Well that's one way to get a new bike. Does the new one come with RDRS ? 

No I do not want it. It would cause issues with sidecar and getting shut down in BCM and ECM may not be allowed by HD.

ABS and linked brakes work fine with the side car,. But the RDRS option would not.

Glad you are ok an able to ride again. Enjoy that new ride and keep us posted on the progress. 

Quote from 2FLTC on November 30, 2020, 7:54 am

Well that's one way to get a new bike. Does the new one come with RDRS ? 

Fate often kicks in. New bike showed up today and it had the RDRS system. We did some quick research with HD and they said no conflict with the BCM and sidecar.  The TC system can be turned off and on as you wish any time. Even though HD policy does not recommend sidecars. So I wrote the check.

20201201_140307

20201201_140317

Smitty901,

thanks for sharing this story with us. And it's good, those scratches are on the outside of your old helmet only. That's what helmets are ultimately for.

While I understand, that it's more enjoyable to focus on your new bike, it puzzles me how little attention you seem to put on what happened, and why. By looking at the pictures on your flickr stream, the crash seems to have happened on a level and perfectly straight piece of road, which asks for some explanation, imo.

I think, really understanding this would truly help yourself to "get over it" and others, to learn something from it.

From your pictures, there was no apparent modification to the front suspension, like leading link and/or trail reduction. Even the steering damper was in place. The only thing which struck me is, that you were riding the tug machine as a solo machine, with a car tire mounted to the rear wheel.

Could that be the root cause?

The bike had trike front end well test and done right. LEO cited road conditions. I had a friend right behind me on his sidecar rig. He said the back end jumped right then left and the bike was gone.  When back end jumped the front went into a stop to stop wobble in a second I was down.

I had rode the Tug with and without sidecar. As i often do my other one. Made a long trip with it in TN and NC never any issues. As for dark side it is nothing new. While on a bear bike I don't recommended  it many do with no issue.  I rode one of my other bike through the same spot and felt the back end get lose . That bike was smaller and lighter.  Dealer felt there may have been a failure in the back end when bike made the first jump but the damage was so bad it was hard to tell. In the end I am left with going with the person following me and LEO take on the crash. After all I was rather busy while it was going on. The road had a lot of the tar snake patches in it. LEO cited the ruts , lose asphalt and bumps . What seems strange to me was until I went back and really looked at it I did not realize the road condition was as bad as it was.  I am not new to this and by no means the best rider in the world .   50 years and more miles than many would believe . It bothers me and I will be returning to the spot and looking it over more. It is only 3 miles from my house.

Few years back I had an entrance ramp that when I came on aggressive the bike got real loose sometimes . Made no sense. Almost new road and looked great. I kept going back riding it, thinking something was wrong with my bike. After a while I found a line in that curved ramp that was like riding over a wet steel open grate bridge. It was just one line the size of bike tire and it got you every time. turns out the groves they grind in the concrete for traction were acting like a rail and moving the tire. After a while I could recreate it every time.

We will miss the Gold bike. I had already made up my mind it was another bike staying here for life. I have one other bike that is now 25 years old We will never part with. So totaling it was a sad day. Insurance settled quickly and IMO it was a very fair settlement. Now we must focus on getting the sidecar repainted and adjustments made to mount it to the new bike by spring.  taking the sidecar to Hannigan for repaint to match and a full rehab . They will work it in over winter with other work. Ride down in Spring and have them mount it. Nice thing is they are only 530 miles away and it is a good ride there and back.

I have pretty much always been a helmet and riding gear type rider. This is proved  it works Without the gear I would have been a mess. With it I walked away from it.

Page 1 of 2Next