Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Weight Capacity..

How much is too much? I have an 86 GL1200 (progressive suspension front and rear) with a california friendship III hack. Is it safe to have 1 adult in the car, and 2 on the bike? I weigh in about 190, and the other 2 are 160 - 170ish. Figures that my wife and my girlfriend all want to ride on the same night 😉

Load it up until the tires are squished so much the wheel rims are touching the pavement, then take off 10 pounds. Should be just about right then!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I've ridden with my wife in the hack and my oldest daughter (28 years old) on the pillion with no problems. Granted I didn't travel cross country, just from Nipton, Ca. to Hoover Dam and back at about 100 F. temps.

You're lucky to have such a tolerant wife, or she's waiting for the opportune moment.

LOL. We are only going about 15 - 20 miles for dinner then home. I can't see why it wouldn't handle it, but figured I would check with the sidecar gods before commiting a big no no lol

Well, the sidecar handled just fine! a little higher revs to maintain speed, but that was about it. =} Good to know!

On my GL1100's I've had a sidecar and had 3 of us on board and hauled a trailer with no problems.

On my GL1500/ frendship III i have 4 on board . No problems.

my 800 cc twin/CF1 has ran with 3 adults all day to Friday the 13th in Port Dover several times,..suspension worked well,..the ladies were comfy also!!!, hehe crawf,.

Sidecars...not just for wives and children, but wives, children, and GIRLFRIENDS lol. They all had so much fun on our night cruise, they want to do it again! Had to warn them that dancing in the sidecar made it a little hard to keep a straight line though 😉

My wife and I take our 5 year old out almost every day. Bo rides in the sidecar, my wife rides on the back of the bike. We have a 1981 cm400 Honda and a velorex 562. I weigh 245 and she weighs 150. The little honda gives all it can. You should be just fine. Have fun and be safe.

Billy,

We used to do 400 mile days with my wife in the sidecar on the GL1200, my son on the pilion, and the tent camper on the trailer hitch.

See you Saturday?