Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Watsonian Sidecars

Hi, there, new user here. I joined specifically to see if the membership has any info on Watsonian sidecars. I have a 1967 Watsonian Monza which is attached to my 1962 BMW R60. Both are in excellent original condition and are used sparingly. I am able to get an insurance value on the moto but so far have not found a way to obtain a value on the sidecar. I acquired both almost 20 years ago from my father and they are both original and low mileage survivors. I am looking for an appraisal site that can give a current value on the sidecar. Thanks in advance. 🙂

You're not going to like this answer. It doesn't matter what the value is. I've never seen anyone on this site or any other that was able to get a sidecar insured as a sidecar. They are usually covered as "accessory equipment" and each insurer seems to have their own maximum for that sort of insurance. The most I've seen generally offered is $5,000. With very few exceptions vintage sidecars don't seem to increase in value with age. There are lots of old sidecars out there and the value is a matter of what a seller is willing to sell for and what a buyer is willing to spend. A nice Monza might bring between $1,500 and $3,000 with most examples selling closer to the low number.

If you're trying to convince your insurer that the sidecar has value, the best evidence is copies of old ads from Ebay, this site or the bike trader type mags.

Good luck!

With Hagerty I was able to give separate value to bikes & sidecars... BUT this is a vintage insurance with some restrictions. My others sidecars are on "modern" insurances and are "accessories" up to the $5000 limit ... which, for a used Monza (I have one), is more than enough! Good luck!
https://www.hagerty.com/

Also, Watsonian still makes the Monza sidecar so you can always find the replacement cost although shipping to the U.S. adds a considerable sum to the total. Monzas start at $6,225.

http://www.watsoniansquireusa.com/#!watsonian-squire-sidecars/it13e