Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Wanted......sub frame for a 2002 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police

I've picked up a 2002 KZ1000 Police and want to attach a Velorex 562/563 to it. ( or will listen if somebody has a better option???) Can somebody PLEASE point me in the right direction.....I need a subframe and want to pay somebody to do it for me this time around.

Thanks in advance, Gordon in NC

We do not make a sub frame for your bike as there is not much demand, we have been doing this for almost 20 years and have only had one KZ1000 in the shop in all that time. I would not recommend any Velorex on a bike as large as the KZ1000. If you are trying to stay on the lower end of the price spectrum with a new sidecar you might look at the Sputnik sidecars we have. Similar in looks to the Velorex but much stronger and heavier $3295 which does include mounts however all we could do is either supply "universal" type mounts which in general means it fits nothing universally or we can provide mounts for the ZR1100 which is similar to your bike. I have attached photo's of the ZR mounts.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Attached files

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Here are two of the KZP/Velorex 562 rigs we set up with a combination of our mods, brackets and Velorex mounts. Worked just fine with some sidecar ballast. Sometimes using steel plate bolted to the hack frame with pad eyes and sometimes soft removable weight in the trunk.

Lonnie
NWSC Ret'd.

Attached files

Lonnie......I should have known. Yes, I understand the Velorex might be a bit too light but I've seen a lot of photos of the combo. This wouldn't be any different than my BSA rig, in that I'm not looking to carry a passenger just cargo. AND.......if you know me I carry everything including the kitchen sink. I bring along enough tools alone that even if I'm not on a camping trip.....I have ballast.

I don't want to start a flame war.......I would agree ( but I'm STILL at the lower end of the learning curve) the Velorex might be a bit to small for the KZP.......but I have to admit, I love the look. That white on white combo in Lonnie's photos is just what I had in mind.

Thanks for the help Dave!!!!!

Thank you all for the replies. Looks like I'll probably be making my own sub frame......no problem I've been down that road before. ( pun intended)

I know this has been posted hundreds of time but I'd like to hear your input.

What is the chair to tug weight ratio???? the chair 1/3 the weight of the tug???.......is that right???

Take care......Gordon in NC

Rule of thumb, like sidecar wheel lead and lean out. It is a good starting point for a road loaded rig.

The final handling is the important thing.

Lonnie
NWSC Ret'd.

I find the rule of 1/3 the weight is just plain stupid. No idea who ever came up with it. So many things enter into this, How wide is the rig, wider rigs need less ballast, where is the weight carried on both the sidecar and the bike. A bike with a lower center of gravity does not need as heavy of a sidecar. Where the weight is on the sidecar makes a difference. A sidecar with a fairly heavy wheel and suspension being as far away from the bike as possible will need less weight then one with a light wheel. How heavy is the rider is often over looked. When sitting on the bike, half of your weight is out side of the tip over lines, half is in side. As you go into a right turn more of your weight transfers out side of the tip over lines. What this means is that a light person does not need as heavy of a sidecar as a heavy person. There are many other variables. I like to stand on the left foot peg, grab the handle bar and lean back away from the rig. The sidecar should just barley be able to be nudged off of the ground. In general sidecars that are on the lighter end of things also tend to be made from lighter duty materials. While some of our sidecars are as little as 190 LBS they are all made from 1.75 inch .120 wall tubing with at least a 3/4 inch axle depending on the model as such you can add ballast with out worry.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

WAIT A MINIUTE.........................................HOLY COW Lonnie where in the heck is that chair wheel heading to on that black and white rig????????? Geeze......is it going to ride on the outside of thr trailer?????

Looks JUST like something I'd come up with.

Fellows.......thank you for the replies. I have respect for both of you and really don't want to take sides......you know what they say about opinions.

Looking online at a currect Velorex dealer.....they sure seem to have the some fairly large bikes hooked up to them.....not sure what that's all about.

Wonder if a man wanted the Velorex look and a stiffer frame.......couldn't you just use the body and copy one of the beefier frames?

I know the older 560 and 562 were made for small bikes ( I have the Jawa 250 thing down) and I have a 70's model attached to a BSA unit single <400lbs and the thing handles just fine (note that I have had NOTHING to compare it to.....so it could be a turd). I've done thousnads of miles on it and haven't had any problems. I do my best to keep the load in the chair to around 100 lbs and I've only used it for camping. I do take a trip every year (1600 mile round trip) to go riding in N PA with some friends but the rest of the time it's my camper......and I love it.

This KZ1000 Police is right under 600lbs wet. I can't imagine I couldn't fab up a strong enough frame and axle combo to handle the Velorex body. I just like the Velorex look and that white on white rig in Lonnies photo REALLY catches my eye. Heck......that's exactly what my bike looks like.

Take care and thanks again for the help........I READ and LITSEN to BOTH of you fellows......I have a lot to learn.

Take care......Gordon in NC

Yup,
Trailer just a tad too narrow for the rig. Didn't want to scratch it up so we Jerry rigged it for clearance.

Looked odd but worked well.

Lonnie
NWSC Ret'd.

Attached files

Okay.....that's just beautiful!!!! There's a lot of folks that would just shake their heads at that set up but I have too admire that "can do" attitude and the thinking out of the box. Perfect.

I've just spent an hour on Velorex UK.....reading and taking in all I can. (again) I've written them a long email explaining what I want to do and I'm looking forward to their reply.

Take care and THANK YOU Lonnie for sharing those photos.

Gordon in NC

if you guys were in the southeast, I'd call you rednecks! 😀

Gordon in NC - 3/3/2017 3:23 PM

Okay.....that's just beautiful!!!! There's a lot of folks that would just shake their heads at that set up but I have too admire that "can do" attitude and the thinking out of the box. Perfect.

I've just spent an hour on Velorex UK.....reading and taking in all I can. (again) I've written them a long email explaining what I want to do and I'm looking forward to their reply.

Take care and THANK YOU Lonnie for sharing those photos.

Gordon in NC

it would have been funnier if there was video of him riding it up onto there. 😀

My bet is Lonnie has to have some southern blood in the family tree???.......somewhere along the line.

Here's what kills me......2-6x6s, 1-4x4 and 1- 2x6 all the perfect size. I bet ya $20 he didn't even have to cut them. And......propped up on a chair....to get the chair on the trailer????? That is genius.

He'd fit right in here in Wilkes County.....heck, if he makes moonshine too, he could be mayor.

I'm not kidding, I LOVE IT!

Gordon

PS, Velorex says to NOT mount one of the older units 560/562 on a bike over 357.74 lbs and or over 28HP. My 1967 B44VR is right at the limit weight wise. I have one of Lonnie's axle/wheel up grades and used it when I hauled one of my other bikes on the chair's frame. When I was done, I went back to the stock set up because I like the spoke wheel better. Velorex says the newer UK units have a stiffer frame and larger axle so the rules change.

Big Island Hawaiian and Pennsylvania Dutch, but here I was using Norski steam power.

Lonnie

Hack'n - 3/3/2017 6:37 PM

Big Island Hawaiian and Pennsylvania Dutch, but here I was using Norski steam power.

Lonnie

Well......must have been from SOUTH KAU.

Gordon

Are you sure? I even see duct tape being used! 😀

Jay, I told you I was listening to you. I've been looking closely at the Sputnik and I have to admit I like it. Has some features that would come in handy. I have to openly admit.....even though I'm not on a "tight" budget I don't own/ride any motorcycles that are worth any $$$$. Most of my stuff runs well, looks okay from 20' but is a bit ratty. So "good used" would be what I'm looking for in a sidecar for the KZ.....can't see spending more money on the chair than the tug.

Heck......I'm the guy who made saddle bags out of cheapo 16 gallon Coleman coolers as a joke and have ended up using them for years...off and on. Yea....you can't take the redneck out of a man. OR......better yet, since I was born and raised in Northern Florida....I'm considered a "Cracker".

But a good used Sputnik would fit the bill, not require any mods and look pretty good (IMO) on this bike.

Thanks for the help......Gordon in NC

"It ain't a holiday without duct tape and firearms"

Gordon....you and I may be brothers from another mother! My concours leading link is about the same grade of "looking ok from 20 feet". we'll have to get together sometime soon!

ncdave - 3/4/2017 9:32 AM

Gordon.... we'll have to get together sometime soon!

Yes we will my new friend......one good thing about having me around is.....when I park my bike next to yours....it makes your bike look SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!

Working on 1998 CB250 (daughter's) tires, beads, chain and oil, 1967 BSA C25 purchased as "mostly done" but I have been working and throwing money at it for months....today is the day it "could" finally be finished except for paint for the tank and the new to me KZ1000 Police....just going over it to see what needs to be done and to wipe some of the dust off of it.......going to be a busy weekend.

Funny thing is......all I can think about is a sidecar for the Police bike......damnit.

Cheers........Gordon in NC