Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

WA state sidecar license test

Has anyone taken the sidecar endorsement test in WA state? I was grandfathered in and didn't take it. Now a friend needs to get his endorsement and I'm having a hard time finding out what all is required of the pilot during the course of the test. The manual only mentions:

"Cornering and Normal Stop" (riding through a righ-hand curve and stopping in a predetermined spot)

"Quick Stop" (come up to a certain speed and then stop within a certain distance)

"Obstacle Avoidance" (come up to a certain speed, swerve around an imaginary obstacle and then stop within a certain distance)

Can anyone tell me if there is more to the test than those three manouvers? Also, is the course painted out on the ground somewhere in the Seattle area where he can go and practice?

Thanks!

Reen,
Hope this helps. Contact Carl, I'm sure he has the answers for you.
Thom Sears
Gig Harbor, WA.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. Carl Spurgeon
Motorcycle Safety Coordinator
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia, Washington 98507-9030
Phone: (360) 902-3853
Rider Course Information: (800) 962-9010
FAX: (360) 586-8351

Email: cspurgeon@dol.wa.gov

that's a good question i just moved to washington and i guess i need to take the test, so i would also like to know what the test has in it.

This is interesting. When someone finds out the answers would you please post them here.

i don't know what the license test is like cause i took the class.

since, you're in washington state and in the Seattle area, and you're also asking for a place to practice, why not have your friend take the sidecar class?

successful completion of the class (involves written and riding tests) will get you a waiver card that you can take directly to the DMV, pay your license money and get your 3-wheel endorsement.

http://www.esc.org/Course%20Calendar-shell.htm

the above is the link to the 2006 class schedule for Evergreen who offers the sidecar training. you'll see that there are 2 prices for the class, $100 and $240. there's no difference in either class. the $100 class is subsidized by WA state and the $240 class is not. only WA state residents can take advantage of the $100 class. they ask to see your WA state driver's license (at the first day of class) as proof of residency. an out-of-stater can register for the $100 class but they will pay more for that class. the $240 class is available for everyone and WA state residents don't get the discount. the classes are there to address demand for the class i guess.

as you might imagine the $100 class fill up faster, but there are also fewer class date choices. people take the $240 class because the other one is full or they don't want to wait for the next $100 class.

i'm not related to Evergreen but i have taken the class, twice to be honest. first to just try it out and got hooked. the second, some time later, with my own rig.

it's fun, you get the practice and upon passing you get a waiver for your endorsement.

they have hacks and trikes for students use, but you can also use your rig in class.

The class is all fine etc. but I am really curious at to what the state test consists of when the evergreen class is NOT taken and also how much the state test costs. Just curoius.

Re the WA SC/Trike Test, from their manual, available from http://www.dol.wa.gov
Contact me offline if you want diagrams of the tests as described.
Hal Kendall. hkendall1@houston.rr.com

Sample Questions

1. It is MOST important to flash your brake light when:
1.. someone is following too closely.
2.. you will be slowing suddenly.
3.. there is a stop sign ahead.
4.. your signals are not working.

2. The FRONT brake potential increases as the weight does what?
1.. Transfers to the rear.
2.. Settles evenly on the front and rear.
3.. Transfers to the front.
4.. The front brake is not effected by weight.

3. To swerve correctly:
1.. shift your weight quickly.
2.. turn the handlebars quickly to avoid the obstacle and again to straighten.
3.. press the handgrip in the direction of the turn.
4.. press the handgrip in the opposite direction of the turn.

4. If a tire goes flat while riding, and you must stop, it is usually best to:
1.. relax on the handlegrips.
2.. shift your weight toward the good tire.
3.. brake on the good tire and steer to the side of the road.
4.. use both brakes and stop quickly.

5. The car is waiting to enter the intersection. It is best to:
1.. make eye contact with the driver.
2.. reduce speed and be ready to react.
3.. maintain speed and position.
4.. maintain speed and move right.

Answers to above Knowledge Test: 1-2, 2-3, 3-2, 4-3, 5-2

THREE-WHEELER SKILL TEST

Safe three-wheeler operation depends largely on your knowledge and skills. The skills for three-wheeler operation require a lot of practice. If you have just learned to handle a three-wheeler operation, and have very little riding experience, the most important part of learning to ride is still ahead. Before you go out on the street with other traffic, there are certain basic skills needed for your safety. To make sure you have the basic skills to ride, you will be given a riding test.

When you report for your test it is recommended that you should have:

a.. Protective clothing that covers your body (gloves, boots, long sturdy trousers, long sleeve shirt or jacket).
b.. An approved helmet and eye protection are required for riders.

During the on-cycle test, you will be graded on how safely you handle your three-wheeler.

For example, you may be tested on:
a.. Selecting safe speeds while going straight and turning
b.. Picking the correct path and staying there
c.. Making normal and quick stops
d.. Making normal and quick turns

The examiner will score you on factors related to safety such as:
a.. Distance - e.g., did you stop in the space allowed?
b.. Time - e.g., did you turn fast enough to handle the situation?
c.. Position - e.g., did you keep the cycle in the proper path?

The test will end immediately if you:
d.. Commit an unsafe act
e.. Disregard or fail to understand instructions
Vehicle placement -Cone weave and turn

Ride to the left of the first cone, to the right of the second and so on. Weave past all three cones without touching or skipping one. Your inside wheel must stay within four feet of the cones. After rounding the last cone make a left hand turn through the curve at approximately 10 mph. You will be timed from the time you start moving forward until you are stopped back in the box. You must stay completely between the lines indicating the curve.

Points will be lost for:
a.. Stalling the engine
b.. Hitting or skipping a cone
c.. Riding too slowly
d.. Path violation, inside tire more than four feet from weave cone or any tire outside the curve boundary

Cornering and normal stop
Ride toward the left of the curve quickly accelerating. Brake prior to making a right hand turn through the curve at approximately 10 mph. You must stay between the lines indicating the curve without hitting a cone. After completing the turn, ride to the end of the course and make a smooth stop without skidding the tires and with your front tire inside the box. Your front tire must not touc

I did some poking around the Washington State Dept of Licensing web site and came up with this link:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/TrikeManual.pdf

The three wheel skill test is described on page 72 of the PDF (page 67 of the manual - haven't figured that one out!). Notice the liberal use of the word "may" in the document. I'll bet they haven't had to administer many tests given the availability of training in Seattle.

Fees are described on page 9 (or 4 depending on your point of view).

From this link: http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/sidecarfaq.htm#12 testing locations were planned for multiple sites. Call the DOL to find out what locations are active. You may even have to point them to Carl Spurgeon who will help remind them what they are supposed to do. 🙂

Steve: The PDF version always begins with page 1 of the PDF version.
The Manual uses the page numbers of the Publication version.
There were a few additional pages in the PDF version - quite normal when converting from a an existing publication to a PDF. The Publication continues with its internal counting which is fixed. The PDF version is done at a later time and it counts the pages as it now sees them. The mystry is resolved.

I recently took the class with the Evergreen Safety Council. I found it benefical.

Bob