USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Vintage Photographs

46u - 8/12/2013 2:01 PM

hdrghack - 8/12/2013 1:12 PM

Jay,

Do you know where the photo was taken, also any idea what year their bike was I see two sidecar's in the photo.

Any chance you could post a higher resolution picture, I like to try and identify the different brands of bikes that may be in the photo. From what I can see there are a couple of JD models and some VL models a few I can't see well enough.

Great photo, one to treasure for years to come.

I would think the big twins where mostly J and V models as the picture was taken in 1936 the first year of the knuckle. Could even be before the knuckle hit the dealer ship. Now 36 was the last year for the V and the U did not come out till 37.

46 you missed it completely.......Im well versed with the early bikes I was refering to the other brands as in Indians, etc. 🙂

hdrghack - 8/12/2013 3:10 PM

46u - 8/12/2013 2:01 PM

hdrghack - 8/12/2013 1:12 PM

Jay,

Do you know where the photo was taken, also any idea what year their bike was I see two sidecar's in the photo.

Any chance you could post a higher resolution picture, I like to try and identify the different brands of bikes that may be in the photo.  From what I can see there are a couple of JD models and some VL models a few I can't see well enough.

Great photo, one to treasure for years to come. 

I would think the big twins where mostly J and V models as the picture was taken in 1936 the first year of the knuckle. Could even be before the knuckle hit the dealer ship. Now 36 was the last year for the V and the U did not come out till 37.

46 you missed it completely.......Im well versed with the early bikes I was refering to the other brands as in Indians, etc. 🙂

[/QUOTE]

Then you know not all V are VL and not all J are JD. 😉

Picture was taken in McKeesport, PA 15132. I still live in McKeesport, and know some of the buildings are still there.
Counting from right to left 7 bikes, the sidecar rig is the owner of the HD shop Bill Gebhart.
He and my dad were friends, and I knew him also in the 1960's, as we always needed parts for my 1949 125cc hummer, that they bought me in 1963.
My dad and mom were avid riders, and the picture is of his brand new 1936 flat head, as he could not afford a knuck. He traded what he thought was a dual cam 1926, that he said was quicker than the new 36.
He got $ 30.00 for it on trade. At that time he figured he did good. (would I love to have it now)
This is a scan of the original picture, and is the best that I can do right now.
I have more pictures, including a nice panoramic, that I will post as soon as I can locate them again.

jays3hds - 8/12/2013 6:29 PM

Picture was taken in McKeesport, PA 15132. I still live in McKeesport, and know some of the buildings are still there.
Counting from right to left 7 bikes, the sidecar rig is the owner of the HD shop Bill Gebhart.
He and my dad were friends, and I knew him also in the 1960's, as we always needed parts for my 1949 125cc hummer, that they bought me in 1963.
My dad and mom were avid riders, and the picture is of his brand new 1936 flat head, as he could not afford a knuck. He traded what he thought was a dual cam 1926, that he said was quicker than the new 36.
He got $ 30.00 for it on trade. At that time he figured he did good. (would I love to have it now)
This is a scan of the original picture, and is the best that I can do right now.
I have more pictures, including a nice panoramic, that I will post as soon as I can locate them again.

Small world my Dad now gone for 13 years use to work in McKeesport when we lived in Swissvile one block out of Pittsburgh. Being it is a 1936 flat head had to be a V model. Do you know if it was a 74 or 80 cubic inch? Unless it was a 45. Great photo no matter what your dad was riding.

Very small world Jay and 46U

My father came here with his mother and sister in 1913 from Hungary on the Wilhelm Kaiser II to meet his father, my grandfather in Mc Keesport where he owned and operated a sawmill on railroad street in Mc Keesport.I still have an Uncle that lives in Libertyboro, anyway back on topic. Jay, when you do get a chance please do post those photos I would love to see them especially from the McKeesport area.

One from my collection

Attached files

It was a 74.
Know Swissvale, and Railroad st. in McKeesport, and Versailles Boro.
My grandparents on my mothers side, also came from Hungary. Grandfather was a blacksmith, and worked in the coal mines. My dad was a coal miner also.

I will post more pics..

Bump to the top for those of us who might not have seen these photographs.

Lee Summer Grove, LA R1100GS/CSM Sidecar, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L

Johnny Sweet - 8/6/2013 8:20 PM

Way back in the day:

They say that a picture can say a thousand words and some of these tell so many stories. Ever since my old friend the late "Chang told me about the day's just after WW! I've always had a thing for those sidecar rigs from that time in history. My family came later and liked the bikes and sidecars from the late 1920's. and 30's so I never had a chance to learn about the early sidecars first hand.

These are just a few that I have found on the internet and each picture is interesting.

A Sunday afternoon outing all dressed up in their finery's. Even the sidecar and bike was cleaned up for the day. Not even dirt in the tire treads.

photo sidecar1200_zps1de0c788.jpg

From the look on the Sunday driver's face, I'd say he had been drinking... 😉

Ah these take me back Swamp Fox! Nice pice.