Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Vintage leather helmets?

Page 1 of 2Next

does anyone know where i can find the old style leather helmets that were similar to the old leather football helmets? trying to get a vintage look goin with old style leather cap and aviator goggles . Everything ive found are current style helmets wrapped in leather.

Results of a general search for Leather Aviator Cap include:  http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/search/?q=aviator&gclid=CI-AsZ_njLYCFQ8GnQodkwgAsA

and:   http://www.amazon.com/Aviator-Leather-Motorcycle-Vintage-XSmall/dp/B004ROWU9E

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Depending on where you live not wearing a safety helmet might get you a citation. Some states do not have helmet laws but many do.

Read the section in the "yellow" book "driving a sidecar outfit" by David Hough and or take the S/tep class (sidecar trike saftey prograhm) before you deciede on what kind of a helmet to wear. For me, only a full face real DOT aproved helment will do and even when riding in a state with out helmet laws I still wear it.
If after reading the section on helmets if you still are not convinced, do as I have and volunteer to give sidecar rides for head injury live in paitents many of which are have brain injuries as rather then wearing a proper helmet wore a novelty protest helmets.
At the end of the day, whats your brain worth to you?
Jay

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

In my 44 years of riding none stop been down too many times and looked at my helmet after and thought to myself that could have been my head even in states with out helmet laws I wear one as my head and brain mean too much too me.

I think he is talking about something like this. Very early motorcycle helmet. I see them time to time on eBay.
 photo DSC00179_zpsade57fb1.jpg

Here you go eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SIDECAR-MOTORCYCLE-SCOOTER-MOTOR-RIDER-LEATHER-HOOD-HELMET-HAT-OLD-STOCK-/321092430553?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item4ac299aad9&vxp=mtr

I agree with you guys. I wear a half helmet as stated before, fits over my cochlear implant where the others don't. I wear a snap on visor to kee the bugs out of my teeth.
I would not ride without a helmet irregardless of state laws allowing no helmets. Foolish to do otherwise. Good find 46u. Iguess it could be worn in parades.

Wolfhound - 3/21/2013 7:53 PM

I agree with you guys. I wear a half helmet as stated before, fits over my cochlear implant where the others don't. I wear a snap on visor to kee the bugs out of my teeth.
I would not ride without a helmet irregardless of state laws allowing no helmets. Foolish to do otherwise. Good find 46u. Iguess it could be worn in parades.

Yes in something like slow parades would be fine and a helmet like the one I posted would look really cool. There are others on eBay but they want way too much and are a bite different. When I think of a old motorcycle helmet I think of the ones I posted.

Exactly!!

Look for military gear such as WW2 and Korean war tanker helmets.

I would Ike to thank you all for your input. I'd like clear up the fact that I don't intend to ride with a leather head wrap instead of a helmet. I understand and truly value helmets as I have cracked my skull open twice. Neither time involved a motorcycle. Once I was walking and got hit by a car and other I was rock climbing and partner above me pulled loose a boulder onto me. I'm trying to pull together a vintage look for a parade as someone above mentioned.

Keorange57 - 3/22/2013 12:34 PM

I would Ike to thank you all for your input. I'd like clear up the fact that I don't intend to ride with a leather head wrap instead of a helmet. I understand and truly value helmets as I have cracked my skull open twice. Neither time involved a motorcycle. Once I was walking and got hit by a car and other I was rock climbing and partner above me pulled loose a boulder onto me. I'm trying to pull together a vintage look for a parade as someone above mentioned.

Darn it seems your head is hard enough. LOL when you get your whole set up please post pictures of you in it. I think your idea is very cool. Are you going to get the baggy leather britches and high lace up boots?

Keorange57 - 3/22/2013 8:34 AM

For parades you need to get some puffy legged johdpurs and long gauntlets and high topped boots.

"For parades you need to get some puffy legged johdpurs and long gauntlets and high topped boots."

The quirt, the riding quirt, don't forget the quirt!

For vintage motorcycle clothing try this guy Mike Merling @ 1-410-238-6011 at the golden age Motorcycle Clothing @ goldenagemotorcycleclothing.com

Did you win that helmet on eBay? It went cheap.

I have 2 different leather (Vintage) Helmets.
One is a Russian Tankers Helmet, Gray and looks like a 30's era football helmet.
The 2nd is what I've called my "MAD MAX" helmet,a Black half style, a rear leather neck "Apron", a Padded 1 inch collar that is at the bottom of the Leather covered Hardshell.
Inside is some Italian Military markings. I'll try to get pix later today to post Wednesday.

I did not win the helmet. but I am still looking

Here are the 2 helmets,
1st time trying to post pix on this site, NO GUARUNTEES!!

Attached files

Page 1 of 2Next