Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Velorex universal mount ?

Page 1 of 2Next

I have a question regarding a Velorex 562 car with a universal mount kit. Would this work on a 05 Suzuki C50
I have read a lot about getting hardware specific to a bike. what does a universal mount consist of and is it safe to use

USCA # 8913

NO OVEN CLAMPS!

OK so I read this as
No they are oven clamps and are unsafe to use
So universal mounts are a NO NO

USCA # 8913

I might have been a little sharp, but if these universal mounts are oven clamps, they are only good for to cause headache and trouble riding. (I do not know the set you mention, as my Jawa rig is a factory supply)
You want to ride, not realign every week or in the worst case collapse a frame tube.
A stout subframe with positive indicating mounts is the best way to go.
A engineering rule I apply is:
"If something can be adjusted for sure it will be soon missadjusted."

On needed fits, make them repeatable and part of the design.
Something that has been troublesome even with the factory mounting of the Jawa Velorex combination. Easier I leave that to my friend Fernando the Jawa importer, he is great at aligning.
Sven

That reminds me that I still did not take the measurements of my Ural, which runs great too. Once a rig riding good, take measurements and save them for future reference as a start point.

The Velorex universal mounts have been used safely for decades. Many do not place the components correctly and can get some slippage resulting in misalignment of the sidecar. On some applications a combination of the OEM parts and small subframe brackets will give maintenance free connections.
The use of a full subframe is more work and more money, but is still the ideal way to mate bike and car.

Lonnie

would a 562 be a good match for a C50 Boulavard
how much would a proper mount kit cost
just weighing my options on a potential first car
I'm looking at one with intrest so I need to know what I'm going to spend to get it hooked to the bike if I buy it

USCA # 8913

The 562 is a bit light for the C50 but with ballast would work. We offer bike specific mounts $725. In general "universal" means that they fit nothing universally this is also true for the "universal" clamps we make. We consider them to be a good starting point for bikes with round tube frames but know of few bikes if any that 4 frame clamps will work well with.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

BTW, We also offer triple tree's for this bike however we do not keep them on the self and only build them once a year or so in small batches. We are starting a batch in about 2 weeks.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I have a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50T w/ a 2009 562. Two years ago, I bought the the bike with the car already mounted so I can not comment on universal mounts. I pick her up from storage this Saturday but after that, I will take some pictures and post them, if that would be useful to you.
TomM

Tom,
I'd like to see your photos, especially of the mounts on the bike frame.

74 BMW R60/6 with Velorex 562 sidecar, 2000 Ural Bavarian Classic, 2007 Ural Patrol

Tom
thank you for the offer but it looks like I will be selling the little C50 today. it was going to be my test bed for a sidecar anyway as I ride a 1500 Goldwing
But it looks like motoleo is interested in some pics

I guess when it gets closer to our time to need to make a move for either a sidecar or trike I will be back asking questions

USCA # 8913

Well, I got my bike out of storage today. Man, the Wx in MD area has been terrible; rain AND snow last weekend but it felt good to take a ride today.
I have the pictures of the mount on my C50 to my Velorex 562 if anyone else is interested.
Happy Spring time riding to all! Keep the rubber on the pavement.
TomM

Edited to add 2 pix of mounts. Email me @tgmeyer@gmail.com for more pix.

Attached files

Hey Tom , I have a question. I have a Velorex on my Sporty and it has the sidecar wheel lead at its maximum recomended distance now. As I look at your pictures ti looks like the sidecar wheeel is much farther forward than mine is. Do you know how far it is leading the rear wheel of the bike? is it hard to turn or scrub/chatter the sidecar tire wehn turning?

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

Oh and I live in Inwood WV 1 hour and 15 minutes west of Montgomery Village

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

Wheel lead on an on pavement only sidecar should be between 10 and 15% of the wheel base of the bike.
With Velorex sidecars you often have to modify the arm coming from the sidecar as Velorex provides not proper way to adjust wheel lead other then by placing the "universal" clamp where it needs to be for wheel lead which seldom works in the real world.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Doug, We should meet up sometime. Let's make it happen.

Not sure how much my S/C tire leads my bike rear tire but I will take measurements today.

According to the installation brochure, Step #10: "IMPORTANT In final assembly, the short Strut at the bottom rear of the
sidecar frame must be at an exact right angle (90 °) to the sidecar and motorcycle frames, thus placing the sidecar wheel ahead
of the rear wheel of the motorcycle by 8 to 10 inches. This wheel offset distance is important (see figure 13).
"

Sorry for the delay Tom, i havent been getting notifications and been riding and working. I also found another sidecar memeber near me Pbrowne he is just over in Shepherdstown WV maybe we can fidn a warm saturday in the near future to get together . Maybe Frederick or Leesburg there is a good BBQ place in leesburg I know

Doug,

My next available Saturday is Nov 1. May be a chilly ride but you never know how the Wx may change.

Tom

I will put that on my calendar Tom and we will see what happens and I will get in touch with Paul Browne to see if he would liek to join.

Page 1 of 2Next