Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Velorex Storage Lock

Hello All,

I have an early model Velorex 562E. I need to replace the lock for the storage compartment. New ones from Velorex are aound $60. Does anyone have a less expensive alternative. Thanks for any information.

Larry

If the lock assembly is intact the cheap way out is to loosen the ass'y. and turn the whole lock 90 degrees to open and close.
Otherwise buy a new one with 2 keys for $56. plus shp'g.

If not transporting any values You might use a lock of an electric panel. About 10-15$ at grainger/mc master/MSC etc.
Every electritian will be tempted to pull out his beer opener.
Chears.

If transporting some valuable goods, try a lock from electric enclosures (sold with two keys) or from mailbox. They often has the same shape (cyliner with two milled flat areas). Something like this: enclosure lock

Costs few bucks, has 2 keys. maybe you will need to cut some shape in tongue. Search for "enclosure lock keys" on ebay. Hundreds of them you can find for few bucks.

I took my lock to a local locksmith shop and he sold me a new one with different latches for about $20

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

Thanks to all for the input and ideas. I appreciate it.

Larry

hardware stores, or tool box replacement locks may work also,..often the actual bar that locks is simply screwed on the back, and can be changed to suit the application,..good luck, cheers crawf.

Another name is desk lock, some come with 2-3 tail pieces.

Many hardware stores have cabinet locks that will work. Choose a solid brass one to avoid corrosion problems in wet weather.

I think people look for cheap alternatives not expensive and a locksmith can make it cheap.

Adam.

We don't mind an occasional self promotion but we really want you to make it clear that you are making a promotional post.  Hiding it in the link is sneaky and not appreciated by most of the folks here.  Just say that you're making a commercial post [and don't bombard us with a bunch of them].  Folks generally appreciate knowing about potential resources like yours.

Admin