Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Using a U-Haul auto transport for sidecar

Has anyone used an U-Haul auto transport trailer to transport their rig? If so, how did it work? Did you use a chock? What else would you suggest? Thanks 

I use my own trailer when needed. You must make sure it is wide enough. A Chock is an absolute in IMO.   Many ways to do that.

Low sides are help full. Keep bike Out of gear. Apply opposing straps .Don't  compress the suppression

Watch hanging up on ramp on some trailers you may need to stick a board under wheel as it enters the trailer to raise it a bit.

Straps control movement side to side front and back. Example Wheel chock is on the bikes front wheel. I am assuming your moving the whole rig . If just hauling the sidecar things are a little different.

You really need to support it well and strap to prevent twisting.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
CCjon has reacted to this post.
CCjon

I have towed my rig several times, I agree a wheel chock is a must. I found the biggest this to be sure to cross strap the rear so it won't try to shift sideways

first time I towed mine I used the tie downs and it was more straight down and it moved over and almost hit my fender. started crossing the rear straps and never had that problem again. 

CCjon and smitty901 have reacted to this post.
CCjonsmitty901
USCA # 8913

I had planned to do what the OP asks but sold the rig. So no I have not used a Car trailer. My rig was 83 inches wide so a normal trailer was out of the question.

Having said that I would take the rig to U Haul to look the combo over, take measurements and ask them about it.

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Once did a drive-n-buy for a rig out of state. After deciding to buy it rented a U-Haul auto transport trailer to bring that big rig home. 

The critical measurement is between the fenders, usually the narrowest part of a trailer. The left fender on a U-Haul auto transport does flip out for loading if necessary.  Most of a rig's weight is the back half which will be over or very near the axle of the trailer.

Ride the rig all the way to the front of the trailer, use the wheel stop . Then cross strap as mentioned the rear of the rig to negate any left or right movement. 

This is the method Claude at Freedom Sidecars taught me:  It will take a minimum of four ratchet straps to safely secure your rig on a trailer: one pulling the rig forward against the wheel stop, one pulling the sidecar step forward, then two straps crossing the rear, one hooked to the rear of the motorcycle or rear wheel pulling slightly back and right, the other hooked to the sidecar wheel / frame pulling slightly back and left.  Straps crossing the the middle. 

Attach all the straps to the lower portions of the rig frame, allowing the rig to ride on its own suspension as it is designed to do. Do not tie down using the handlebars or any of the upper frame that would affect the suspension. This is different than securing two wheel bikes on a trailer. 

Have hauled sidecars coast to coast on trailers using this method with no problems. 

Good luck with your transport.

Thanks CC, that’s exactly the information I was looking for. Claude taught me the same thing about the rear tie downs. He said they “dance” if you don’t crisscross ties. See you in Colorado. Stay safe.