USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Used Hannigan Astro question

I saw a used Astro online and it seems like a too good to be true price.  The unit has the square headlight so it is an older unit I think, but that's not a big deal if it is in good shape.  The add says no bike side mounts, the windshield has stress cracks at the bolts, and the tail light is cracked.  I emailed the guy and he has the tilt control and the control module though.  I called hannigan and the bubble is replaceable, I just have to go get it as they do not ship them.  Again no biggie I am a few hours from Murray.  The mounts they can help with, but he said depending on the age the tail lights are getting hard to find on the older units.  I am nervous about making an offer on something hard to find parts for but at the same time it's a good deal.  Is there anything I should look for or ask about? Stress crack areas on the body? Anyone have a guess at the cost to paint one of these?

The wife saw all the dry wives as we rode in the rain and said I want one like that...  So she rode in one at sidecars in the smokies and the confinement was no biggie so an enclosed rig is on my watch list.    

Here is a link
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201096721216

It looks like an Astro Sport to me, and I think you are right it is a good deal. I purchased a used one myself about a year and a half ago and have mounted onmy R1100R. I would not worry too much about the stress fractures as the base construction is really good and since it is fiberglass it can be repaired. I stripped all hardware and disassembled and was able to get mine painted for $400. The only change I made was the top as boss monkey wanted more room. I will try and post a picture. Good luck!!!
Bill D 🙂

Attached files

Thanks Bill,  I have seen the custom hood scoop in person 🙂 Thanks for the reply and it was a pleasure talking to you last month.  Now I know I have seen one up close.

Thought you sounded familiar, good hunting!