Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

USCA politics

Page 1 of 4Next

From the Yahoo Sidecar LIST, comments, this thread started by myself, and some replies.
I've tried to assemble this into some sort of meaningful order.
I certainly would like some answers. The only editing I have done is to remove identification of responders.
snowbum (Robert Fleischer USCA 6504)

> Snowbum wrote:
> Re: Sidecarist March-April
>
> I got around to reading the rest of the above, today. I am NOT a 'happy
> camper' at the moment.
> There was a letter and information printed in the above issue of
> Sidecarist.
> I am somewhat disturbed by it.
> OK, truth is, I am PLENTY disturbed by it.
>
> As many of you know, Jay Giese (who, with wife Tara, run Dauntless
> Motors in
> Covington, Washington, and Jay often posts to this LIST) is the
> Western
> Director of USCA. That means he covers 13 States. I don't have to get
> into Jay's contributions and business, here on this LIST.
>
> PER SIDECARIST.....a petition was brought to the USCA Board of
> Directors, by
> one Larry Allen, a USCA Member. That petition also contained 30
> verified
> member's signatures. The Petition is to ask the BOD to REMOVE Jay
> from the
> BOD, citing the reason that he is in the Sidecar manufacturing
> industry, and
> that constitutes a conflict of interest.
>
> The letter and commentary, undersigned by Colby M. Cousineau, as VP
> of USCA,
> states that BOD has no standing in the USCA Constitution and bylaws,
> to
> remove a Board Member. So and thusly!!>>>> Colby brought a motion at
> the
> December meeting of the Board, that the Board ask Jay to resign. Who
> voted
> and how....is in The Sidecarist, and ended up as 3 to 3, with
> President John
> Kennedy casting the deciding vote FOR the Motion. The BOD can't force
> Jay to resign. The Board apparently, at that time of printing, was
> awaiting
> a response from Jay, to the Board, and to Allen.
>
>
> I have seen a lot of wrangling, for a long time, never ever have
> understood what was going on, that, above, seems like the latest, in friction between folks in the USCA, and others.
>
> Could someone, perhaps, explain what the past history is, just what
> is going
> on with USCA??
>
> Frankly, I am RE-thinking my plans to drive the rig to the USCA
> National in
> Stevenson, and my Membership. I want definitive answers and reasons
> why I
> should go...it is a huge trip for me, besides seeing a whole bunch
> of the
> folks I've 'met' on this LIST.
>
> Really interesting here....JAY is the one who is collecting the
> money/reservations/etc.....for the USCA National....and other things
> he is
> doing. The USCA BOD apparently has asked the guy who is doing a ton
> of
> work for the USCA to get lost.
> Can anyone explain all this to my old brain?
>

Some replies:
> Snowbum,
> Sidecar.com is THE site of the USCA. That same info that was in The
> Sidecarist was posted there on 1/30/2005.
> I would suggest that it may be best to ask that question at that
> site as well and/or write a letter to the board.

So..Bum...Go to the rally you will enjoy yourself and others will
> > enjoy you being there. Don't sell youself short by not going and
> > remember if you don't go because of hard feeling towards the board
> > you are only hurting yourself and the others who may feel the same
> > way. I only wish I could make it myself.
> > xxxxx , who hates politics!
> >
> >
> >
Snowbum replied:
> xxxx, and fellow LISTers:::
> The friction has been going on a LONG time. I don't understand where
it
> comes from. I have not been a street sidecarist nearly as long as most of
> you old-timers.
> As near as I remember, Colby's been at the forefront of some of it. I
> could mention a couple of other names, won't, at this point.
>
> MY personal problem, and it IS MY PERSONAL PROBLEM........ is that I do
NOT
> like supporting an organization (USCA gets income from this Rally, and
the
> Rally supports the organization one way or the other;...YES? NO?),
> especially one I am a Member of, if the folks r

Robert (Snowbum) Fleischer, Lake Tahoe, California, USA http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/emailimage.htm http://bmwmotorcycletech.info http://airheads.org ABC 1843; MOA Life 17058; AMA Charter Life 73254; USCA 6504….. ‹(•¿•)›

Mike, I have tried all sorts of ways, and unless I don't know the system adequately, can not find that there was a message in your posted reply.I am at snowbum@jps.net if that is any help.snowbum

Robert (Snowbum) Fleischer, Lake Tahoe, California, USA http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/emailimage.htm http://bmwmotorcycletech.info http://airheads.org ABC 1843; MOA Life 17058; AMA Charter Life 73254; USCA 6504….. ‹(•¿•)›

Snowbum
I will try to answer your Questions. First, let me state that I don't put much stock in any post that does not have the persons name who authored it, or from people who want to complain, but do not want to help fix the problem.
As to the political strife you mentioned, let me give you some back ground on the Board of directors. This club is about 27 years old, and the first ever election that was held for any office that had two viable candidates for the same office was in 2003 when John Kennedy and I both ran for President. In 2004 we had just one contested race out of four positions open. This year have contested races for all four positions that are open. To me that shows that we, the Board, are doing something right, there is finally some interest in how the club is run.
As to me being in the middle of most of the strife, you are correct. My campaign statement said that I was not and would not concern myself with political correctness. I also stated that I would insist that the Board members follow the Constitution and Bylaws to the letter. Is that a pain in the butt to do? Most certainly. As a legally chartered Corp. in the state of Illinois, we as board members have to follow the guidelines of the Corp. and the rules of the club. As I am sure you know, most people (including myself) don't like rules or following them. This organization went from one Board meeting a year for 20 some years to going on the internet and having official Board meetings conducted as laid out in the Constitution and Bylaws. Are there personal conflicts among the board meetings? You bet your bippie! With 8 people from coast to coast, all volunteers mind you, in my estimation it would be a miracle is there weren’t. I would hope that each Board member could put principals before personalities, but it does not happen. I believe that is why large corporations elect a CEO and the CEO then appoints the Board members, so every one is pulling in the same direction. Do ego's get in the way? Of course they do, we have real people on this board who think their opinion is the best one and they have their feelings hurt when their opinions are not upheld. At one time or another, every member of the Board have made mistakes that should not have happened, from me having a misunderstanding about rally finances when I chaired the National rally in 03, to Joyce stating to the board that her rally would have insurance, then two days before the event, stating she decided to take the risk of no insurance. Were we both wrong, you bet, but we are learning as we go.
The USCA is set up for the members to enjoy and have fun, how ever, the Board of Directors have a business to run, and that is not always fun.
I n the last year, we have gained 200 new members and are very stable financially. Believe me that is progress.
Should we the Board air our dirty laundry here on sidecar.com? The consensus of the Board is no, how ever from time to time there are those among us who choose to do so thinking the is some political gain to be had. If a majority of the members would like to see them, I will post them here. The elections to date have been conducted with no name-calling and mud slinging, and if this up coming election is handled in the same way I will be happy. How ever if it is not handled that way, I personally will post every post from Racedis (the internet site where the Board conducts business) and I am sure people will be amazed at the conduct of the Board members, Past and Present.
As to the petition asking Jay to resign, the Board did take it under advisement and did not come to any conclusions. I then Contacted Larry Allen and asked how he wished to proceed. He asked that I call for Jay’s resignation, which I brought before the Board and posted the Results. That is my job as a board member. Am I a fan of Jays? No I am not, it is a personal matter between he and I and has yet to be resolved. Have I tried to keep it from affecting Board Business, Yes I have and I believe Jay has also.
I hope I have answered your question, and if not, we can try a

Colby, thank you for responding, and for letting me know your side of this.btw....if you were questioning MY name, it is in my header, but apparently not picked up by your forum program. It is Robert Fleischer, of South Lake Tahoe, CA.Bob

What I think he's saying is this.

It's inappropriate to copy other folks posts & post them HERE. (or anywhere the author didn't post them themselves)

Whether or not that's what he's saying, I personally do not think it's appropriate. However, If you have a question, providing a link to the posts in question IS approptiate. Then they can be read in the context where they were written.

You can ask any questions here you want. But swapping other peoples posts from another forum is... well, It just isn't right IMHO.

I don't know if you speak for Colby, or not, I assume you are trying to be nice and interpret what Colby meant. I removed the names of the responders to the Yahoo Groups SCT LIST for several reasons:1. It is NOT immoral to quote them, as it is a PUBLIC LIST, and was NOT a private privileged communication. There was plenty more of it, actually.2. I have no intention of being the Agent for USCA folks to come down on those folks in any which way.3. MY name was very clearly stated, my number, where I'm from, and my profile includes such and more information.4. I am still receiving feedback from the SCT LIST folks, including a lot of past history about how USCA came into being, the initial officers, etc....all of which I find interesting, and none of which have anything to do with the BOD actions which prompted my initial inquiry.

I have to agree with you Robert. As you've said before, we've had other industry people hold office and positions of influence within the organization, as we have other professionals posting here. Am I to assume that we will next forbid them from posting here. Perhaps if people would let the members know what's going on the rumours and innuendos would quit. It would also better inform the potential members as to just what kind of a group this is. Now it always seems to be some sort of bickering with John and Colby against the world. I know that's not accurate, but that's exactly the way the responses from them always seem to sound. Mike Laubenstein. And no, I'm not a member any more, but I may become one again when someone can convince me that the organization is once again run by the membership and by more than two people.

Thanks for the input, Mike. I am REALLY trying to keep an open mind on all this, as I've gotten all sorts of stories, and it is not easy, sometimes, figuring out what really happened at any one situation. For some, just the idea of being ASKED what happened, is taken as an accusation. Besides that...even supposedly uninterested observers may well have differing ideas over what has happened at any one incident. Eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable!! The Airheads Club went through some rough times a bit over 3 years ago, and I well remember all the problems with various dissidents and with assorted stubborn mind-sets. Having been in a few positions of high responsibility (especially the 'buck stops here' type) in my life, I am aware how easy it is to take sides, when one should not. That does not mean, necessarily, that one should simply stand back and observe, and never get involved. Sometimes taking a stand, a side, is needed. I am also aware that being a moderator and having a level head, is a needed quality. I really want to be as fair as possible, in what I think, and in what I say...and, in what I do. AND, of course, any Club Officer, as such, is always wide-open for criticism! Sometimes criticism comes from those who are unwilling to put forth the needed effort to attempt to right or change something; and sometimes, however, such criticism is well-founded, and effort to correct things might have been made. Ultimately, as in all things in life, I must judge for myself.Bob, aka snowbum

Just for the record it was I who posted the comments included below..also..snowbum and others: If anyone wants to copy my posts from SCT to here they are more than welcome to do so and put my name on them..No biggie.
Claude
Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

>>>> Snowbum,
Sidecar.com is THE site of the USCA. That same info that was in The
Sidecarist was posted there on 1/30/2005.
I would suggest that it may be best to ask that question at that
site as well and/or write a letter to the board.

So..Bum...Go to the rally you will enjoy yourself and others will
enjoy you being there. Don't sell youself short by not going and
remember if you don't go because of hard feeling towards the board
you are only hurting yourself and the others who may feel the same
way. I only wish I could make it myself.
xxxxx , who hates politics!<<<
=========================================================================

Seems to me that we elected Jay to the BOD knowing he had a sidecar related business. Why has this suddenly become a problem?
Terry McQuarrie
USCA # 6115

Gentlemen,
If this had occured two years ago, you would never have heard of it.
In fact a lot of things happened that the members never knew about.

I ran for the office of president, in direct opposition to the board and the way things were done,look in the back issues of the sidecarist for my election statement. I hosted two USCA Nationals and had delt with the board and did not like what I saw.

Present history is all that I have time to explain, but upto now the USCA was losing members and always short on funds. During my term as president we have increased membership by 25% and have a bank balance of over $10,000.00 from I think $4.00 in the treasurey according to James Cain
right before I took office.

Yes as Mike stated it seems that Colby and I are fighting the world, this is not true only the USCA Board, but from this side of the fence Colby and I, who ran aganist each other in '03 in a gentlemans race, feel that we are doing what we promised the folks that elected us we would do.
I have no axes to grind, I have no need to make myself more important than I already am. Every decision that I have made and everyvote that I have cast on the USCA Board has been what I felt the best intrest for the general members of the USCA.

If you dig into USCA history several events would discourage anyone, but we need to be looking forward to what the USCA could become if we all work in the same general direction, a statement that I have made to the board on many occasions.

I came to the USCA , to help it become what it was intended to be, a fun club for people that had an intrest in sidecars. I talked with Mr. Johnson at length, he was member # 1 , he died 8-2003.

Some folks are not happy with changing a program even if it does not work, and with change comes contivsery, but from the general members point of view the USCA is more attractive than it was two years ago.

I am going to run for re-election this spring, infact the election process is underway, I am going to run on the same platform and put the same ideas before the members, if I get relected than I will continue to do what I think is best for the members.

Thank you for your support of the USCA

I have never met Jay or ever done business with Jay, so I have no hidden agenda here. Just my personal opinion is that I want someone with "real" knowledge of sidecars on the board! I have only been sidecaring for a little over 2 years and have no problem saying I know very little, so I want to have a very knowledgeable person at the wheel so to speak. I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe Jay has done anything to deserve this. Just drop the issue and lets go on with having fun with our sidecar rigs!! That is what we all joined this group for.....Right???

My name is Ronald Campbell I own A sidecar business I would like to know what the problem with Jay is and why you do not want him on the Board. I am new to this club and joind to add some of my knowledge about hacks, but it apears that dealers & manufactors may not be wanted . Is that true?
I had intentions of working with and fore the members, am I not wanted? That is the imprestion I am getting. I just want to know what is up
Ron Campbell #6877
Titan Engineering Works
Grand Junction Co.

I have heard of you Ron, and have you and your business hyperlinked in the sidecar URL article on my website (the Lakotaman url...so if that is wrong, let me know, at snowbum@jps.net). My impression, SO FAR, is that there is a real personality clash between Jay and Colby, that is behind most of this. I could be wrong, of course. I don't see any real problem with a manufacturer/dealer, whatever, being on the Board of Directors. Others may, I do not. But, I am not privy to all the Board chatting, that Colby referred to in his message to me, which is part of this thread. I'm trying to keep as open a mind as I can, on this mess, right now. A LOT of discussion on the Yahoo SCT LIST, brought about by my opening this Pandora's box, this can of worms, sheeeesh!

Thanks Bob, that is what I intend to do also.Tha hole thing did not sound good to me and I do not want to be where I am not welcom to participate.
Ron

Lakotaman and Snowbum,
i have been reading both your posts on sct and skunks for almost 2 yrs. welcome to the usca. don't give up on us just yet.it is a good club. it has really turned itself around in the past few years. it is going thru some growing pains right now but it will be alright. from what i have read both of you have a lot of knowledge that would be helpful here. hang with us.
Al "fly" Butterfield

Thanks Fly. I will do that.
Ron

Bum and all
I think you have this whole thing pretty much figured out. Like I said in the other thread, discrimination in any form should be eliminated in this and any non profit organization. We are just too small a group of people to selectively eliminate anyone interested in our club. If this petition was indeed about sidecar manufacturers and not related to Jay personally then we should be hearing from Larry Allen,the author. I too contacted some folks whose names appeared there and they thought the petition was about another subject entirely.

Ron,
Welcome to the group. I am also in the Industry and am a member in good standing of the Sidecar Industry Council and AMA. My involvement with these organizations has been, active, supportive, informational, satisfying and above all apolitical. Not seeking any "Strange bedfellows" I try to limit my posting to things I am experienced with or at least familiar with, leaning toward technical or resource information and eschewing any political agenda.
So far I've made many new aquaintences here and shared many fruitful discussions on this site, having I hope helped several folks out of what may have seemed like an unsolvable delimma at the time. All this by avoiding political flak.
Like I say, "I'm no Engineer, but I've been on a lot of freight trains."
Stick around Ron, it only gets better.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com

Page 1 of 4Next