Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

USCA Dues & PayPal?

Ok, I'm just lazy I guess,

I pay my bills online, my memberships online & do almost all of my correspondence with my friends near & far via e-mail.

As I try to join the USCA I see there is still a snail mail option only. So I print out the form & find it still sitting here on my desk weeks after I printed it. (I'm out of envelopes) Arrggghhh!

I see that it's stated that there are plans to have an online registration form, but will an e-mail with all, the important info be good enough? I can pay with PayPal & the funds would be there with the click of a key!

If the USCA has a bank account, then they can have PayPal fund that account directly. Someone who processes the Memberships will need to "accept" the funds before the USCA account is credited.

Is this doable? I'll be the FIRST to pay that way if it's ok'd.

Joe

Me two.
David

Sounds like some small amount of research is in order!

Joe
You seem to have brought up an interesting question. It is before the board of directors. I as president do not have a vote on the board unless the vote is a tie, I try to get the board to look at each issue for the betterment of the club. Being very computer limited I think that cost and the pay-pal program would have to be researched, and of course how many members would use this program. And of coures we must determine how we would get the information to the secretary who is not on line.
It is before the board or directors of the USCA , we will discuss and vote on it shortly and I will post the results. Thanks

Thanks John!

That was a quick reply & I look forward to hearing back.

I do think it would be a added benefit to your enrolment options. It's even easier than taking credit cards!
Joe

Joe,
Can you explain to some of us how the pay pal thing works. Being able to re-up online would seem to be a great feature for this or any club. Pay Pal , I assume, could also be used to order t-shirts, hats and other club paraphenalia. I am not up on how this works but if there are costs involved in setting it up it would seem that the investment may be well worth it.
I know we would be much quicker to renew our membership and even order goodies if it could be done online.

As a PayPal account holder, I simply connect this account to my Debit Card or Credit Card.

I also have a running positive balance if I recieve any funds from others, say an e-bay auction.

When I "send" money, Paypal takes a smal percent just like the Credit Card companies do. That covers their cost of doing business.

Paypal then sends an e-mail to the person who is recieving the funds stating to them how much money is being sent.

That person then needs to visit thier PayPal account online & "recieve" (or deny) the funds being sent. When that happens a e-mail reciept is sent by PayPal to the one who sent the funds.

There are no set up fees that I am aware of. I have been a PayPal user for three or four years now & have never had any problems with them. I have a Debit card to access any funds in my paypal account. Money can be transfered from the Paypal account to a company, or personal Bank account as well. I just leave any funds I recieve in the paypal account & use the debit card to access the money. Or I use those funds when I pay for an e-bay auction.

It seems that personal accounts can send and receive payments for nothing, but they can't receive credit card transactions, just transfers. I wonder what (or if) your own bank charges for receiving these?

It seems like the USCA could set up a "personal" account. The agreements don't seem to say anything that would preclude that.

If you go with a Premier/Business account, then you can receive credit card transactions too, but there is a % associated with those payments.

JOE I HAVE DOWNLOADED THE MEMBERSHIP FORM 3 TIMES ALREADY BUT I AM LIKE YOU I WOULD JOIN TODAY IF I COULD DO IT ON LINE. THANKS FOR PUTTING THE LIGHT ON. JOE CAPP

I agree with everyone here that Paypal would be a big plus. I've been using it since it came into being. I've even used it to send money to the kids when they need something. The down side will be that someone needs to have computer access to deal with this. I would like to see a suggestion made that anyone running for an elected office, acting as a state or regional coordinator, or handling funds for USCA be required to have email. Keep in mind, this is me talking, I'm not speaking for anyone else, but if you have an opinion, for or against, post it please.

Maybe if this year there was going to be questions for the membership on the election ballot as there was last year the requirement for email could be one of thEse questions?
Personally I have a lot of mixed emotions about a requirement to have email. Yes , it would be an asset to have email in many ways but is it really something that should be required?
There are many good sidecarists out there who have been a great asset to the sport that have no interest of getting a computer and will probably never have email at their disposal. Is it in the best interst of the USCA or the sport in general to alienate these folks? I just do not know.
The upside to being online as far as a board member goes is that he or she can enter into real time discussion at Racedis which is much more effecient than any other means of comunication around. Board meetings can take place at will, anytime. If the majority of board members are online and a couple are not then their input would not be heard as well as it could be in a real time discussion. If an issue arose thet required a vote then the ones not online would have to be contacted and their opinion, or vote, would have to be gathered in that manner. The bad thing is that at that point their input for the discussion that led up to the vote would be a little behind the curve so to speak and it's impact may be lost.
Tough decisions? Yes? The answer? Don't know.

As far as e-mail being required by all board members? Naaa, But an acting secretary, or Treasurer should. Maybe word it that these positions are recommended for members with daily access to a personal e-mail account?

But changes like that are commonplace today. Most of you know by now that it's a requirement that a kid going off to college NEEDS to have a computer.

All business' out there HAVE computers!

Is it unacceptable to require a National Sidecar Org' to incorporate computers into the way it does business? I think it's time to get computerized! But then I'm the thorn in the side who started this thread.

Joe

Originally written by Pyro on 2/11/2004 4:20 PM

As far as e-mail being required by all board members? Naaa, But an acting secretary, or Treasurer should. Maybe word it that these positions are recommended for members with daily access to a personal e-mail account?Joe

Don't apologize for starting it. It needs to be started. I receive a lot of messages from folks complaining that I forgot to post an email address for a state coordinator, or that they sent in their renewal weeks ago but their address label still says they're ready to run out, or most often, that they can't reach someone by phone or have written and not received a response. I receive emails daily from an aunt who got her first computer after the age of 90, so the "I'm to old to learn" argument holds little weight with me.

I just want to let you all know that we are still working on the Pay Pal idea and encourage you to keep the ideas coming. We are listening, reading and working on it. But in the meantime, Joe email me your address and I'll send envelope and stamp.

Mike and Joe,
I understand that this new computer world is good. But a few of the old timers still like giving the US postal service 37cents. I know that several USCA members are not on line and this is fine. The USCA does not even require you to own a sidecar to be a member, if the club does not require a sidecar but does require you to be on line to hold an office Is this odd? I ran my campain for president and only posted once on line that whole year. I still like to use the telephone and hear a live voice when I have important questions to ask.

My sister in Washington State goes to the public library and uses Hot mail and Pay Pal. Here all the Public Libraries have computers and free internet access if you have a library card.
David

Originally written by Goldwing on 2/11/2004 8:15 PM

Mike and Joe, I understand that this new computer world is good. But a few of the old timers still like giving the US postal service 37cents. I know that several USCA members are not on line and this is fine. The USCA does not even require you to own a sidecar to be a member, if the club does not require a sidecar but does require you to be on line to hold an office Is this odd? I ran my campain for president and only posted once on line that whole year. I still like to use the telephone and hear a live voice when I have important questions to ask.

Home Depot Lumber, not known as a high powered computer concern, as well as many other employers, no longer accept walkin or mailed employment applications. When you try, you are directed to their website where the application is filled in and submitted. I'm not advocating closing the Post Office, I'm only saying that in this "new computer world" it is an expected means of communication. Would you consider someone who wants to run for office or be a regional coordinator but doesn't offer a telephone number or mailing address? They could claim that if you really wanted to contact them you could always flag them down as they ride past. 🙂 🙂 🙂

I like the humor here at for sure! I'm laughing at least.

I like hearing about the 90 year young getting e-mail.

Home Depot can't sell a stick without those 'puters

But Joyce, you got me good with that offer! haha

Tell ya what, Gimme your e-mail addy & I'll paypal ya the membership funds & you can mail them direct! hehe.

Keep looking into it guys (n' gals) it's well worth it & will pad the membership accounts nicely with money from folks like me who spend too much time at their computer to stop at Office Max & pick up some envelopes! lol.
Joe