Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

USCA Ballots

Please enter a vote and help the Board with the ballot issue. Would you prefer a secret ballot with no name or membership number attached to it.

Joyce,

Is a vote for the "secret ballot" supposed to be = YES?
Or .. is it the opposite?

Thank you
Piero Bassi
Minneapolis, MN

Yes = secret ballot
No= require membership number on ballot

Sorry for any confusion

Thanks

Joyce,

I freely admit that the potential for "election fruad" is pretty small, still, is there any plan to prevent those who receive multiple copies from using them to vote if there is no member ID on the ballot? How will legitimate voters who do not receive the Sidecarist send in their ballots? Since our Sidecarist is printed using a Xerographic process, what will prevent someone from sending in photocopied ballots on similar paper? I believe that we considered the idea of mailing out ballots instead of having them in The Sidecarist but gave up the idea as too expensive.

I've already voted "Yes" but have since wondered about these issues and probably should have considered them first. Does the Board have a plan to deal with these issues or am I concerned about nothing? 'Certainly a possibility! ;o)

Al, what we are considering , nothing official yet, is to publish the ballot in a foldable format with no membership number. The ballot is then placed in an envelope with membership number written on the outside. After we determine that the member is in good standing, we will open the envelope and sort the ballots by region. That way we have detached the number from the ballot but can still verify votes.

Joyce,

That sounds like a good plan. The sorting would have to take place before the ballots where opened to be sure that the regional races didn't have voting cross over. Certainly not a big problem but an issue during the "Bad Old Days".

I agree with Al Roach that some sort of "secret ballot" might encourage more folks to vote and I'm for anyhting that will increase member participation.

Al - I think we have this covered by a) providing a ballot that can be sealed with the vote information inside and requiring the USCA # be on the envelope that contains the sealed ballot. This way we can be sure we have a valid ballot while protecting the integrity of the information. Or at least that's the plan. Thanks,

Steve, are we talking 2 envelopes. One with a number and one which contains the numbered envelope and ballot? ... thanks, gp

Joyce. In answer to your poll. A secret ballot would be nice. No, I do not want my name on the ballot. I don't care if my number is on the ballot... GP

The idea is that you would cut your ballot out from The Sidecarist. It would be constructed so that it could be sealed with your vot information on the inside. Then you stick that "envelope" into an envelope that would have your membership number on it. When the ballot is received, your memberhip number would be validated before the outer envelope is opened. Then your sealed inner envelope/ballot would go into the stack of ballots to be counted - unopened. Phew! I think it is eaiser than it sounds here. Thanks,

LOL!

Oh dear! Let me see, the ballot goes into an envelope which has a member number on it. Does the member put his number on this envelope, and is this the envelope that actually gets a stamp?.. In other words, the stamped envelope is the outer envelope, and contains the membership number.. By George I think I've got it! You use the postmark to sort for regions? Clever.. Thanks for the clarification.. gp

You are very close. Hadn't thought of using the postmark to sort for regions. The election chair will have a list of valid membership number sorted by region. Thanks,

Gail we will have a list of current membership numbers presorted by region. So even without a return address or name we will know which region you live in just by your number. So if you don't want to put a return address label on it we can still verify it. It should work, but interestingly enough the vote here is very close. I thought it would be more one sided. I'm not saying which way I thought it would be though.