Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Ural sidecars popularity. Were's all the Ural bikes?

Page 1 of 2Next

I'm fairly new to this forum but could not help but notice the number of posts from Ural sidecar owners.

Many of these are on bikes other than a Ural.

I'm curious if most of these were purchased originally with or without the Ural bike?

If most of them originally came with a Ural bike what became of all these bikes?

One explanation would come to mind that the bikes wore out in time but the sidecars were very durable & lived to be installed on another bike.

Any other explanation?

If they are that good of a sidecar maybe the Toyman should get one!

Well, honestly speaking most of the bikes went into the secondary raw materials cycle ")
And you´re right: The Ural sidecar is durable and can be set up with other wheels and brakes very easy.

We were URAL dealers (Sidecar only) from 1995 until they quit selling us sidecars only a few years back.
Of the hundreds we installed, in all that time only two were attached to URAL motorcycles.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars, ret'd.

Hack'n - 2/13/2015 12:42 PM

We were URAL dealers (Sidecar only) from 1995 until they quit selling us sidecars only a few years back.
Of the hundreds we installed, in all that time only two were attached to URAL motorcycles.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars, ret'd.

Thanks Lonnie, your reply has a very good explanation to this question. They apparently build a pretty decent sidecar at an affordable price. The availability has gone south ....................or is it they stayed east & west.

There is a Ural dealer in Boxboro, Mass.

One it the Atlanta area too but I have only seen 3 in the past 4 years.

I live in a town of less than 3000 and we have 3.

We see very few hacks of any type in the NGA mountains & foothills. See more trikes than hacks. I also have a Buddy 170i with a TowPac out rigger too.

I live nearby a city of 400k so I see quite a few variations of 2-3 & 4 wheeled fun. Myself being a big boy toy collector am always captivated by something a little bit different. Side car bikes being one of them. You can only look at so many cookie cutter metric and American bikes before it becomes boring. Variations of trikes have taken over the three wheeled market so they are common place now but most cannot carry three. Nor do most capture the nostalgic value of a well coupled hack nor it's versatility. I don't foresee sidecar ownership returning to it's past popularity but I do believe there will be always be those like myself that will find a need for one in the stable.

Toyman, well said.

Good points Toyman. One other thought that I've maintained for a long time now is that a motorcycle with a sidecar is still 100% motorcycle. A trike is half motorcycle, half automobile...

Before we started making our own sidecars we were the Ural sidecar importer, even Ural dealers had to buy their sidecars from us. For several years before Urals started to get more reliable we also would take Ural sidecars off of the dead Urals and attach them to different bikes. We make kits for many different bike for the Ural sidecar but unless the sidecar was built to our specification with an adjustable lower rear mount welding is required on the sidecar frame.
The supply of Ural sidecars never was all that great more then likely due to cash flow issue with Ural, their quality was not always the best so we started making our own sidecars which some of our sidecars by the time you add mounts they are less money then the Ural sidecar. Our M72B starts at only $3995 and includes bike specific mounts.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

A trike like mine, 4 wheels in all, is all fun.

The Ural ,Dnepr and Chang Jaing sidecars are all decent sidecars and adaptable with some effort to a wide variety of bikes. We have mounted many of them to everything from Harleys to BMW adventure bikes. Gotta say that a Lowered Ural with a little work does look really nice on a cruiser type bike. Older ones can have some wheel issues but they is something that can be addressed. Mounts should be changed out. We do the mountig for each specific bike in house and Jay offers a Kit as he said.

Toyman - 2/15/2015 10:17 PM

I live nearby a city of 400k so I see quite a few variations of 2-3 & 4 wheeled fun. Myself being a big boy toy collector am always captivated by something a little bit different. Side car bikes being one of them. You can only look at so many cookie cutter metric and American bikes before it becomes boring. Variations of trikes have taken over the three wheeled market so they are common place now but most cannot carry three. Nor do most capture the nostalgic value of a well coupled hack nor it's versatility. I don't foresee sidecar ownership returning to it's past popularity but I do believe there will be always be those like myself that will find a need for one in the stable.

We do trikes but mostly sidecars. The sidecar market seems to be growning .

Anyhow.....

Trike: One way street...once a trike always a trike
Sidecar: Can be put on another bike.....can be removed and bike returned to solo in many cases

Trike: No additional comfort for passenger
Sidecar: much more comfort for passenger and in certain caes passenger can still ride on back of bike

Trike: No gain in storage
Sidecar: tons more storage

Trike: 2 person
Sidecar: 3 or more person

Trike: More expensive
Sidecar: Obviously more bang for the buck all around!!!

Trike and sidecar: More stability than solo.

Could go on more but these are the main points.

I did look at the Ural rigs the 2014 models were just getting out but I found my Harley set up at same time used 2005 road glide with a Harley side car a 2005 also I think that is one of the last years Harley made them
I agree with the more storage and room for three and dog

I think 2010 was the last production year. They just sold out stock after that.

The Motor Company went trike. That is where the market is now with the baby boomers and the girls.

Lonnie

My first Ural was a 2012 Yamal.
Sold it because I wanted EFI and rear disk brakes and bought a 2015 cT. So far so good.
My other hack is a 2013 Z50 clone.

Attached files

I agree - always tell people that with a sidecar I still have a motorcycle. A trike is more geriatric than a sidecar.

I called the Ural dealer in MA when I was pondering the options I had to buy/build a rig. I asked what a Ural sidecar would cost and they said that Ural will not sell a sidecar separately. You have to buy it as an accumulation of the various parts and we all know how the final cost adds up when you do that.

A gent on another forum said he grew up in Russian and his uncle bought a new Ural in 1968. He said they had up to 9 people on it at one time. It was a utility vehicle for his uncle's farm and hauled huge loads of grain/feed in sacks, animals, etc. He said that the rig is still going strong. It's had about 10 engines since it was new, but the chassis and the car have never had a single failure.

regards,
Rob

Page 1 of 2Next